Search

travel to amazon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel to amazon

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and I joined it just to get more information on travel to amazon.Me and my friends are planning for a 10 day visit to south america from USA..We are planning to visit amazon, machu pichu, iguasu falls, rio de janiero and more..The plan is for july/aug '08 and nothing has been finalised as we are still collecting info..Can anybody send us some good links which has info on this or even post their ideas to let us know the best time and some travel tips and "must see" places in south america..
thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Ten days is not long to visit a continent as huge and as varied as South America! You may want to narrow things down to say, just Brasil. Deal with a reputable travel agent specializing in Latin America. One site that looks promising: www.latinamerica4less but must say I've never used them. Am not sure July/Aug is the best time to visit the Southern Hemisphere but to each his own!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM

I just came back from jungle tour in Manaus and was very nice!!! Do you plan to go to Manaus or peru for a jungle tour???

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM

I agree with Phinn-for a 10 day trip you will need to narrow things down a bit. It would be like having a 10 day trip and seeing North America. The trip will have so much time traveling from destination to destination. Likely best to focus a bit or stick to a region. It also depends on what you like to do. I have been going to Rio the last few years and can easily spend a week there, but I do enjoy the beaches.
To me, Rio is a must see in South America as are Iguasu Falls. A great primer for info online is www.ipanema.com
I have used skyauction.com to book my hotel over the past 3 years and had terrific success. they also have some terrific packages for bidding to south america, but watch all the add ons.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot guys! that info would be really helpful..with ur question dutchboy, i am planing to start from manaus..I do not want to miss amazon, iguassu falls and machu pichu...other places to visit will be changed accordingly..
thanks again for all the entries!
mahesh
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Ten days is about right for an Amazon trip by itself -- enough time to spend a few days at a jungle lodge or with a hired guide, take a riverboat trip, enjoy a quiet smaller rivertown like Monte Alegre or Alter do Chao for a few days.

Or the right amount of time for Rio de Janeiro and one or two multiday side trips like Ouro Preto or Parati.

But with what you are considering half your time -- at least -- will be spent on planes, changing planes, in airports, or getting to and from airports.

Pick a little piece of South America for a ten-day trip.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

So would it be possible to visit machu pichu and amazon within 10 days? Me and my friend are nature lovers and would not want to miss these 2 destinations...Thanks for all the advice!!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM

mahesh

Yes you can visit Machu Picchu and the Amazon in 10 days,but that is about all.(lots of flying )

I am assuming you are flying into Manaus ,when you speak of the Amazon.

Percy

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM

You could certainly see Cuzco, Machu Picchu and some of the Amazon by going to the Peruvian Amazon. Check any good guidebook for tours to jungle lodges near Puerto Maldonado that include flights to/from Cuzco. There are also lodges and tours near Iquitos and there may be direct US/Iquitos flights.

KST

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM

Yes, the Tambopato reserve in Peru is much closer than Manaus or Iquitos. Those will take you a day or more to reach. You can fly to Puerto Maldonado and be in the Tambopato in a few hours.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice..I will update more on this once we decide our plan..