1st Time to BA, some itinerary questions

May 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

1st Time to BA, some itinerary questions

Am finally getting to plan for Buenos Aires after having to put off this trip for a year.

We will rent an apt - Looking at Hollywood Palermo or San Telmo areas - preference?
- we would like to be in an area with a lot of nightlife, but still stuff during the day, we are ok with areas that are not considered *fully* gentrified, i.e. I like the Raval of BCN of 10 years ago.

Amount of time?
- we are planning for 12 days-ish and thinking about sneaking in a few in Medoza for the wine, which leads to:
A.) We will go in late July or early August (figuring the weather will be a refreshing break from the hot, humid summer in NYC), is this bad timing for Mendoza?
B.) We are super slooooooooow and lazy travelers, meaning we stay out all night, don't care if we sleep out the day and are not big planners. Just content to wander, sit in a cafe, drink wine, whatever. I'm not worried about 12 days being too much in BA, I'm worried I'd be cutting our time short by sticking some days in Mendoza.

These are my questions for now, thoughts and feedback are welcome - Thanks in advance.

P.S. background on us - live in NYC, late 30s, like bar scene, food, cooking, markets, wine. Most of our travel is Europe-centrc.
May 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM

U will love BA!!! I really like San Telmo, my only objection to it is that is a bit further to get to other parts of BA. For that reason I would stay in Palmero Hollywood. I would stick to just BA given how u describe yourself. BA is fabulous! Have a great trip
May 17th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Being slow and lazy travelers, you could take 3-4 days in Mendoza.......BUT......,I'm a BA girl and never get enough of the city!!!!!!!
While I don't think San Telmo is further to get to places, you will probably be happier in Palermo.San Telmo is fine if you are doing a 3-4 day "quick trip".

You'll have a great time. Keep us posted.
May 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure what I was thinking with San Telmo, I may have been mixing up neighborhoods. Will stick with Palermo. And 99% likely to skip Mendoza this time.

Another question - I have been looking at both friendlyrentals.com, vrbo.com for apts, but can anyone recommend a rental agency or specific apt they liked. Needs to be an elevator building, with balcony (we smoke, but not indoors, no need to judge), a lower rise building is preferred.

Also, am I correct that it seems like prices there have gone up in the last year, year 1/2?

Thanks!
May 18th, 2011, 06:36 AM

YES........prices have gone up! In fact, everything has gone up.....except for public transportation. In any event, you couldn't eat out OR rent an ap't in Europe for the same price as BA.
We always stay in Palermo Botanico/Chico and have had EXCELLENT success with renting from byTArgentina and Alojargentina.
Others will certainly have varied advice.

Cheers!
May 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM

We had a rental thru BAHabitat and it went very smoothly. Silvia was very easy to deal with. It was a high rise with an elevator and sort of had balconies -- not ones u could really sit on. It was in Palmero Botanico/chico like moreweirds.
May 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM

VRBO often has good apartments to rent, but do also check out Reynolds Propriedades and the Agencies recommended above.

~MarnieWDC
May 19th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I looked at TArgentina and Alojargentina and will check Reynolds. I have 2 reqs. into VRBO places and am waiting for reply currently.
May 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Its "byTArgentina" that u want. I would also look at Reynolds and BAHabitat...both good agencies with lots of properties
May 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone used www.apartmentsinba.com - they have apts listed on vrbo.com?
May 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM

I don't know anything about it, but it's an interesting name. There is a very popular, fairly upscale apt rental company that has been around for quite awhile, ApartmentsBA (http://www.apartmentsba.com/) Easy 2 c that people could mix up the 2.
May 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

hmm, the apartmentsba.com link didn't work.

Anyways, I ended up booking the 1st apt on apartmentsinba.com.
May 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM

I get to Buenos Aires frequently and have had great experiences with www.apartmentsinba.com . Really easy going, very helpful with restaurant and getting around ideas. Michael speaks English and Spanish as does Andrea. They take a credit card for deposit but don't run the card, easier than most... And the apartments are exactly as shown on their website. They seem to take care of things unlike some other's rental co's I've used where appliances don't work or things aren't kept up.
May 28th, 2011, 02:11 AM

Welcome to the Fodor's Argentina forum, mgbok!

I trust you will realize that a post by a first timer who says he/she comes "to Buenos Aires frequently" but posts only to recommend a certain business, will inevitably be taken by forum readers as most likely self-promotional.

Have a great time in our town.
May 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks for your hearty welcome avrooster. I believe I was responding to the following statement; "Anyways, I ended up booking the 1st apt on apartmentsinba.com." Thus the mention of a certain business. Please accept my apology if I have done something in error.

As you mentioned I am a first timer at posting although I have been following threads for a while, though somewhat haphazardly. I was impelled to respond when I saw a post that I could speak to. I didn't realize that I stuck out as a 'first timer' which makes me wonder what your interest is in the issue?

Anyway, as I mentioned, I can tell you stories of my distress before I found apartmentsinba; promises not kept about everything from deposit return to apartments with no A/C. Not to mention being denied entry by overzealous security people, showers that didn't drain and no hot water.

Other than those past issues, I always have a great time in 'your town.'
Jun 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM

we stayed at Mine hotel in Palermo and Loved the area...lots of bars and restaurants just outside the door
Jun 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM

I am also planning an 8 day trip to BA end of August - will check the above suggestions for apt. rentals - I am traveling with my 15 yr old daughter and we are visiting my 20 yr old who will be studying at the university - would appreciate any suggestions about what neighborhood to stay in - prefer lively but not over the top nightlife - central location. Thanks!
Jun 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Hi all, this is a really helpful post, thanks to everyone contributing. A girlfriend and I are celebrating our 39th birthdays with a get away trip to BA ( we are traveling in from Atlanta and Boston). I know we will love the city and Palermo sounds like a good area for us.

My question is this, if we spend 3 or 4 days in BA and want to spend a few days at a more beach type town, what would be the closest to BA that you would recommend? It sounds like mar del plata or miramar are good choices but they appear to be about 100 miles from BA proper. Maybe those are our best bets but wanted to check with the experts!

thanks!
Jun 14th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Hi, loc5000!

I would guess you are planning to come during our summer, right?

After New Year's day, most beaches will be quite crowded. A great time for you to come would be before Christmas.

Mar del Plata and most of the beaches South of the town of Buenos Aires are at least 200 miles away.

Hope this helps. More info about your trip is required for a better answer.

You'll have a great time celebrating your birthdays in our country!
Jun 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Yes, we are planning to come the first or second week of December so we won't need to worry too much about the crowds.

Based on that timing, would you have a recommendation? Is there a seaside town that would be closer to the city of BA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO