18 Days Peru trip ideas

Jun 5th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

18 Days Peru trip ideas

Hello,
We're a family of four (two kids, 9 and 11), planning a 'borderline adventurous' 18 days in Peru...
I was thinking to start with 2 days in Huacachina (boys would appreciate sand surfing...) incl. dune buggies and all.. and a boat tour to the islands in Paracas. From there head (fly?) to Cuzco. I was thinking of taking an organized ~4 days not-to-rough trek (maybe Salkantay? horseback riding?) ending in Machu Pichu off course and back to Cuzco for 2 days. From there I want to head to the Jungle for 5 days. I'm contemplating between the more 'traditional' Puerto Maldonado-Jungle tours or go up north to Pacaya Samiria which sounds amazing...Finally we'll head to Lima for 2-3 days.

I would really appreciate your feedback!
Jun 6th, 2019, 11:54 AM

You'll need to bus or private transfer from Huacachina (Ica) back to Lima first, then fly to Cusco. No flights from Ica to Cusco that I know of.

There are several lodges near Iquitos in addition to Pacaya Samira, which is usually seen only by boat. E.g. Tahuayo, Explorama are well-regarded.

What month? Be sure you know about high water season along the Amazon. Also the issues with malara, dengue, zika, etc if you do decide to go to the jungle. Tahuayo claims their environs are free of those disease carrying mosquitos.

https://perujungle.com/your-zika-and...ee-experience/
Jun 6th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info mlgb!
We are going next August...as far as I know dry season(?)...I actually like the idea of a boat tour in Pacaya...although I'm honestly contemplating whether to go with the southern option of Tambopata instead..
I don't know about Dengue/Zika. Looking at the CDC website it seems there's only malaria in the Lorreto region (Pacaya) and a minor risk down south.
Thanks again!