Magdalena Del Mar

Aug 8th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Magdalena Del Mar

my gf and I are taking are first trip to Peru and staying in an air bnb in magdalena. How is the neighborhood and we also get in late at night, is there a safe taxi that will get us where we need to go knowing little Spanish? Thanks guys!
Aug 8th, 2019, 04:08 PM

For a taxi pickup from the airport, I'd use taxidatum.com. You can book them online. It is nice to have someone waiting with your name for your first arrival into Lima.

Not sure why you picked Magdalena del Mar, it isn't really super convenient to the usual tourist sights. There are some good restaurants in the area such as Pescado Capitales and El Mercado (but of course all over Lima)

There are a lot of big highrises built facing the ocean. Security should be good in those buildings.

You can use Google Maps Street View to get a look at the street scene. And be sure you know how you'll be getting around without any Spanish fluency. There are a few LIma residents on Tripadvisor, you might want to ask there if you haven't.

If you aren't familiar with the website Lima Easy, it's a very good resource for Lima. Not 100% up to date, so verify opening times, etc.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 8th, 2019 at 04:11 PM.
Aug 9th, 2019, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks! Magdalena came up when we searched for Lima air bnb and it had great reviews. Seems to be a nice quiet neighborhood and we can always taxi to Miraflores or barranco!
Aug 9th, 2019, 07:40 PM
kja

Originally Posted by tjs12 View Post
we can always taxi to Miraflores or barranco!
Having been to Lima, I'm not sure I would use the words "I can always" and "taxi" in the same sentence -- OMG, traffic in that city can be atrocious!
Aug 9th, 2019, 08:04 PM

It may or may not be a nice quiet neighborhood. Very few of those actually exist in Lima..traffic noise being a problem.

My preferred lodging is 3B Barranco, especially for a first-time visitor who doesn't speak much Spanish.The price is reasonable and the staff is very helpful. I wonder if your Airbnb host is providing enough support, since you had to ask here about an airport taxi? If you think you'll be using a taxi then I'd want to have a taxi ap and cell service. Lima is a big sprawling city like Los Angeles. Hard for a first-time visitor to grasp!
https://www.3bhostal.com/

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 9th, 2019 at 08:11 PM.
Aug 10th, 2019, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Out of 130 reviews not a single person said a bad thing about the apartment and there were many first time travelers. Itís about 2.5 miles from Miraflores. Iím from NY, I donít think traveling the city will be much of a problem. And thatís the whole experience, getting the local experience instead of the tourist one.
Aug 10th, 2019, 04:00 AM

Please reply back with your experiences! I love Lima. Apart from the traffic but it's still my favorite South American city.

Hopefully all of your "local experiences" are good ones. Peruvians are so helpful and pleasant that with a little common sense you should be fine once your gear is safely stored in your apartment.

I believe there are some good local markets in Magdalena del Mar. If your apartment is really in MdM (you know, sometimes they lie about location) then you aren't too far from the museums in San Isidro on that side of town (Amano, Archaeology, Larco) as well as a few of the Huacas.

Please note that the beach isn't anything special and robberies are of concern even to locals. Hailing a street taxi takes some experience. You may want to use Uber instead of the taxi aps which are in Spanish.

Walking can be a bit hazardous in damp weather..uneven and slippery sidewalks can happen! Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 10th, 2019 at 04:34 AM.