10 full days (Nov/Dec) -- Help Needed with an Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are travelling to BA from November 21st-December 3rd. We actually get in around 11am on Sunday the 22nd. We leave at 10:45 pm on Wednesday the 3rd. We obviously want to spend a few days in BA (it is a city of 11 million right--so I am assuming we need say 3 nights to start?) I figured 1 night at an Estancia (or should we just do the "day experience"?) then back to BA for 1 night. She really wants to go to Punta del Este for 2 nights after that. That leaves the big decision----Iguazu Falls or Patagonia? 2 nights I was figuring....what do you all think? Which one is more feasible? I wish i could do both but simply impossible. I saw Angel Falls in Venezuela and of course Niagara, but my gf has never seen either. They are extreme opposites but seem both equally awe inspiring. Please advise as to feasibility, experiences, and the itinerary in general. Thanks!!! Looking for help!
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM

If you only have 2 days, Iguazu is better than Patagonia.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I vote for Patagonia and the NW, both areas have the best weather for that time of the year. Three or four night for Salta four days for Patagonia,. Two days for BA as it can be part of a second visit plus other destinations...
NW has a lot to offer, wonderful sceneries, culture, geology, archaeology, colonial buildings, great food, fantstic weather, wildlife, nightlife, wines, goat cheese...
Warm regards,
Flintstones
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM

I agree with soulskier- patagonia would be tough with only 2 days. On the other hand, Iguazu would be perfect. I haven't been to Victoria Falls, but I have been to Niagra. Compared to Iguazu, Niagra is a leaky faucet. It's a really special place to see. To save time, try finding a cheap flight so you don't waste time in a bus...

Also, for a good day-long estancia experience, try the "Fiesta Gaucha" at Santa Susana's Ranch. As I've mentioned a few times here, I went and it was really great!

Cheers!
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM

lawdjo4:

Another shout out for Iguazzu Falls. I have been to Niagra and Victoria Falls (loved them both) but they were not nearly as exciting, nor did they have the breadth, of Iguazzu. DH and I spent 2 nights 3 days there,so as to see the Brazilian side as well (worth the Visa $$, & time - easy to do). We also enjoyed time in Puerto de Iguazu for the good restaurants and SA cultural aspects. Enjoy your trip.

~MarnieWDC
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice! I think Iguazu will be it for us. I really think that there is so much to see, a second trip will be in order! From Buenos Aires to Iguazu area, what is the typical airfare? From which airport would you leave? Do you book something like that in advance here from the States? I am starting to regret not booking a package deal...especially given all of the deals now with the economic downturn!
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:05 AM

lawdj04:

I am unsure about the prices, but we booked on LAN through the internet, from home. Lan flies to Iguazzu from the in-town, J. Newbery AeroPark Airport (close in and easy to get to and fro) and we left most of our luggage at that airport in a safe room. We retreived it on return to BsAs. You do not need a tour guide for Iguazzu - just search here and on TA and on Web Sites to discover what the best plan would be for you. A Taxi from the airport to your hotel in Iguazzu is easy and not expensive etc. The Sheraton is right in the park, but there are other options, as well.
Enjoy the search and the trip. ~Marnie