Taking the Crescent from Atlanta to Philadelphia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting to visit Philadelphia and am wondering if it would be fun to take the Crescent which is an overnight train from Atlanta (leaves 8:30 pm) and arrives at noon the next day in Philadelphia. I looked at Amtrak and these are just coach seats, so it would be like an overnight trip on a plane to Europe (which I did last month and it didn't bother me).

What I am wondering is this: I will arrive in Philadelphia mid day and then take a taxi to the historic area of the city. How far would this be?

I don't want to have to rent a car, I just want to find a hotel close enough to the old city area so I can walk. Any recommendations?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Amy

You definitely don't want to rent a car in Philadelphia! You'll come in to 30th Street Station, and can actually just take a train into the city if you choose, either the el or one of the regional rail lines; it's about 15-30 blocks, depending on where you go. For Old City, for instance, you can get the el and ride for 5 stops to 5th St, or, of course, the taxis.

I've done the overnight Amtrak from Florida, and found it to be a lot comfier than airline coach seats.

The Holiday Inn at 4th and Arch is a great location for walking to the historic sites; my family stayed there between Christmas and New Year's and were quite happy with it. Here's the report from that, although it's pretty Christmas-centric: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ot-of-kids.cfm
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I live in Philly and Amy is correct...no car! Parking is expensive and hard to find. You can also take a bus from 30 St as well as a cab or the train.

Once you are in a particular area walking is the way to see Philadelphia. From the Italian Market to Idependance Hall to Old City etc. Here's a link to the constitution walking tour.

http://www.theconstitutional.com/groups/viewMap.html

There is a hostel off of Chestnut St, Bank St and 2 or 3rd ish.. I have not known anyone who has stayed there but we have one. South Street is really not anything these days but does have probably the best Philly cheese steak at Jakes. Long lines! 4th and South. The Holiday Inn is a good location for Old City.

this is the hostel site

http://www.applehostels.com/rates.php

Hope you have fun in Philly! We have great BYOB's ! Max
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I did the Crescent from ATL to DC about 18 months ago and enjoyed the trip. If they are not sold out, there are roomettes on this train. Nice thing is they include meals with the sleeper car ticket. Train is almost always more comfortable than the plane. Slower, but more comfortable.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Maxine, do they have a Jake's at 4th and South in addition to the one at Liberty Place? Or was it Jim's you wanted to recommend?