Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good beach spot w/in 5 hours of Philly for July 4th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying I hate the Jersey Shore. Sorry, I know it's a beloved destination! I just think it's too built-up, crowded, and fully of Philadelphians & New Yorkers.
So where could we go for the 4th weekend that's within a 5-hour drive (or 4 or 6, we're being arbitrary but just don't want to spend a day in the car)? Ideally small town with cute shops & restaurants, and cozy rentals. But would be willing to do our own cooking too.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Are you open to the idea of the Outer Banks of North Carolina? The Outer Banks has several small towns that are not overcrowded or commercial however there are restaurants, shops and houses for rent. One of the best things about the town of Duck in the Outer Banks is that it has amenities that you can walk to including shops and restaurants yet the beaches do not have public parking so it is primarily the people who are staying in the village that visit the beach. You are close enough to the July 4th time now that you can probably get a decent rate on rentals that have had prices reduced or can request a partial week stay if you don't need the entire week. I recommend Duck first and Corolla second. I know that there are many towns in the area but these are the two that I have enjoyed vacationing in that I can recommend.

I do understand your comments about the Jersey shore although I still have a fondness for the summers I spent there as a kid. It has become way too busy and another reality of it is that the water is always frigid! The downside to the Outer Banks is that it might be on the longer end of the time you are willing to drive in that it would probably take a good solid 6 hours to get there.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM

This depends on how you want to spend your time. I am partial to Ocean city, MD for things to do. It can get drowded, but the nightlife is better. Rehoboth, DE for shops and Beer (DogfishHead Brewery), and Maybe Bethany Beach for a more familiy-oriented experience. Each has its advantages and are less than 4 hours from Philly.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I grew up going to Bethany Beach for the Fourth of July - it's a great place for families and young kids (there's a cute 4th of July parade, and everyone decorates their bikes in red, white, and blue streamers and flags). There's a short boardwalk and a couple of blocks of beachy shops and food stands. If you have kids I'd highly recommend Bethany for the 4th; if not, you might want to look elsewhere. It's not a spot for nightlife (unless your idea of a crazy night out is grabbing an ice cream cone at 9PM - then it might be perfect!).

I've only been to the Jersey Shore a couple of times, but I think the Delaware beaches like Bethany, while still crowded, are a little more laid-back and attract a different crowd.

Rentals for the 4th tend to book up months (sometimes a year!) in advance, but given the current economic situation, you will probably be able to find some deals!
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Lewes, DE, fits your bill. From there, you can drive to Rehobeth or Ocean City, MD, for something a little livelier.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I agree that Bethany, Lewes, or Rehoboth Beaches would be great for a family holiday close to Philly.

Cape May, NJ is also wonderful.

I HATE Ocean City Maryland. HATE!!

I used to teach English in Baltimore and all my students would go to OC to get plastered.

Thin
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Hey, wait a friggin minute.

What do you mean by the Jersey Shore is full of New Yorkers and Philadelphians??????????

You're a jerk for making a comment like that.

Thin--proud Philadelphian
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM

You might want to check out Lewes, Delaware. We only spent the day there - late summer, checking it out for future reference - but it looked very nice, particularly for families. I'm just a transplant, but I'm actually not so sure that ALL the Jersey shore is as built up and crowded as you wrote. Aren't there still a few nice pockets left? I haven't been yet, but I hear a lot of people speak very highly of Strathmere. And Cape May, of course.
- Living in Philly
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM

There are definitely quieter towns at the Jersey Shore, but it is the Fourth, everything is going to be more crowded and expensive than usual. The Outer Banks might work for you, but they are NOT 6 hours from Philadelphia. Even DH, flying low, cannot make it in less than 8. Maybe at 3 in the morning, but even that would be pushing it. You could try going north a little, to Connecticut or Rhode Island, but that's likely to be closer to 6 hours than 5, and will be full of New Yorkers and Bostonians. Going southward again, I always like Chincoteague, which probably matches your description pretty well, and that's about 5, at least in DH time.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM

How about Ocean Grove, NJ?
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Notebook, I said right up front I apologize for offending anyone. Look, I'm not saying they're not good people, but I live in Philly and am looking for a more natural experience. The jersey shore's a parking lot, so doesn't qualify. I'm looking for escape from the city, not just a different space the city's been transplanted to. So I'm a jerk, I'll live with it. Kind of jerky to be so defensive too.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We've been checking all those & not finding much availability. Turns out that such close proximity is appealing to everyone trading down to a "staycation" in this economy, so the shore's going to be packed all up & down!
I think we'll just try to book something further north later in the summer.
Happy summer everyone!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:13 AM

There are Philadelphians in Delaware too. Beware.