Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

50% Off Select Hotels in Bermuda (Sale ends at midnight TODAY)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed in today's Royal Gazette that the Dept of Tourism has a 48 hour sale ending at midnight TONIGHT (June 2nd). Perhaps some of you can take advantage, good luck!

http://www.bermudatourism.com/48hoursale.aspx

Some of Bermuda's top hotels are offering a summer special sure to please Bermudians and tourists alike — 50 percent off rooms until midnight.

The unprecedented special offer began yesterday at 12.01 a.m. and will finish tonight at 11.59 p.m. Organisers hope the sale will bring more visitors to the Island in light of falling tourism numbers.

Hotels participating include Surf Side Beach Club, Grotto Bay Beach Resort, Fairmont Hamilton Princess, Fairmont Southampton, Royal Palms Hotel, Newstead Belmont Hills, 9 Beaches, Coco Reef, The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches.

The sale is for hotel stay from yesterday until October 31 excluding blackout dates
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM

ooooh, this really sucks for me.
I just checked the rate and it is $100 less a night than what we booked. We booked a non-refundable room to save money -- and now they won't give us the discount.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM

I looked, and it seems like there are some really good deals. I've never been to Bermuda, but it seems like it has its loyal fans. There are mileage tickets available, so I'm considering booking.

Which is better--The Reefs or Cambridge Beaches? And if you didn't want to spend as much money, which is better-- Coco Reef or Grotto Bay?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM

mah1980, The Reefs and Cambridge are on pretty equal footing. The big difference is location - you wouldn't be quite so isolated at The Reefs, whereas Cambridge is a bit further out from activities, restaurants, etc. I'd go for Grotto Bay over Coco Reef, except for the location. GB is near the airport and not near much else, but it is on the main bus route, so it would be easy to get places. GB also has a good watersports operation. CR is closer to everything, but the property is dated, and it just looks a little, hmmm, 'tacky' comes to mind.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM

Oh - I can't believe I missed it! What are some of the deals people got?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Hi mah1980,
We just returned from Bermuda 2 weeks ago.This was my 10th trip. I have stayed at Elbow Beach 3 times(Lovely, elegant,pricey),Fairmont Southampton Pricess, (Beautiful, luxorious, pricey),Pompano Beach Clutoo Far from everything except Somerset & the Dockyard), Grotto Bay 4 times and Coco Reef just 2 weeks ago. We loved Grotto Bay in the 1980's. With children, it was near a lot of things within
walking distance. There was a Dolphin Show(now Dolphin Quest is at the Dockyard. The Pottery has closed and the Perfumery has moved to St. George's. It is walking distance to the Crystal Caves, the Swizzle Inn and an ice cream & sandwich shop. The bus to Hamilton comes right up to the front entrance of Grotto Bay. Being close to the airport is not a problem. You do not have planes flying overhead and you don't
have any disturbing noise. We last stayed at Grotto Bay in 2002. The main building and two dining rooms had just been renovated and were lovely. However the guest rooms were looking tired and needing some TLC. There may have been renovation since then. The food was always excellent. There
is a small informal(go up to the counter and wait for your order to be called to you) kind of hamburger place down by the pool and beach. This replaced a once lovely patio outside restaurant where waiters took your orders for lovely
lunches. There was also loud island music blasting, you could hardly hear your order being called. That was a little disappointing to see changed. I would not eat there again. There is a small pool with barstools in it so that you may swim right up to the bar for a great tropical drink. The beach is small, but nice. If you are older, you may not enjoy the uphill walk from the pool and beach areas and some guest rooms, up to the main building and dining rooms. There is a small gift shop, a small exercise room and a few games for kids. You may also rent some things for water activities
at Grotto Bay and they have tennis courts.
Two weeks ago we stayed at a small hotel for the first time and for the first time did not take the breakfast and dinner meal plan. We loved Coco Reef. 10 million dollars
had been spent on renovations a few years ago. There are only 64 units and it overlooks Elbow Beach. Every bed has an ocean view. The hotel is small but beautiful. You may have lunch(and be served) either inside or outside and the newly
renovated dining room with ocean views is beautiful. We had
breakfast there every morning, which can be served or you may choose the buffet. Waffles and omelettes were delicious.
Since there was only one dining facility for dinner and there are only four entrees on the menu and it did not change the week we were there, we only had dinner at Coco Reef one night. The food was wonderful. We also ate at the Waterlot Inn, the Hog Penny and two of the restaurants at Elbow Beach. I forgot to mention, from Coco Reef, you walk down some stairs to the beach and you are just yards away from the two beachfront restaurants at Elbow Beach. We had elegant dinners at both Mickey's and The Seahorse Grill. Coco Reef is closer the the beachfront restaurants than The
Elbow Beach Hotel is. The Coco Reef was not full in May and we had such excellent service and attention fom all the staff. If you are looking for a luxurious hotel with amenities like spas, salons, heath clubs, this is not the place. If you want a clean pretty hotel close to beach, you may consider Coco Reef. I would definitely go back there again. If you do go there and want variety for dinner, don't get the meal plan. I read hundreds of reviews about many small hotels, before choosing Coco Reef. Everything I read on Tripadvisor on Coco Reef was positive. I was considering the Reefs, but a couple of people complained about construction noise. That may be done by now though.
One complaint about Coco Reef was that a couple stayed there while a wedding was going on and were disturbed by the
music and noise. It is a small hotel. I made sure that there was no wedding when I booked. You can go on line and look at all the hotels , reviews and even at the restaurants and see the menus at Waterlot, the Princess retaurants and the Elbow Beach restaurants. There is a little walk to the bus stop from Coco Reef, but we are an older couple and we did not mind the walk. Grotto bay is closer to St. George's and Coco Reef is closer to Hamilton. Heck, the whole island is only 7 miles long, so you are never more than 30 minutes from anything, no matter where you stay. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.