Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help us choose a hotel in Bermuda!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I live in NYC and are very excited to go to Bermuda at the end of July. We have flight reservations on hold for the 22nd - 27th. Neither of us have been there before and we actually have not taken a nice vacation TOGETHER in a number of years. We really want to stay at the The Fairmont Hamilton Princess. It looks like an elegant/modernish hotel and we like that it is in town and yet we would have access to it's sister hotel's beach. However - it's VERY expensive. The best price I can find is $414 per night!

Our other best options are:
Surfside Beach Club $295 per night
Pompano $400 (breakfast included)
Grotto Bay $325
9 Beaches Resort $295

We really don't want to spend an arm and a leg but like I said, it's our first trip in a LONG time and we would like to stay at a place where we can get the most luxury bang for our buck. For example, Surfside has a good price, but I read that the accomodations are so-so. Is it worth spending the extra $100+per night for The Fairmont? I have also read wonderful things about Pompano, but how far is that from Hamilton? I would appreciate any advice on which of these would be the best value. And/Or any other recommendations on where to find good prices for a more upscale hotel. Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM

Personally I would not want to pay that kind of money for the Hamilton Princess. Club Level is nice, everything else is just so so. All the major areas are open to the public so you could stay at Royal Palms just up the hill or Rosedon across the street and still have access to most of what the Princess offers.
Pompano Beach, the Reefs, Pink Beach are beachfront and some distance from Hamilton. That means a taxi ride or bus ride. Coco Reef is cheaper than any of the above, but beachfront and next door to Elbow Beach. Elbow has some great cottages but it will be in that same general price range. Surfside is perfectly fine, many units have kitchens. It is not a luxury property. 9Beaches is getting better reviews as the season progresses. They had a lot of bugs to work out. It is the most remotely located of the properties, has some pretty beaches, but is not a luxury hotel. The rooms are tent cottages (not scout tents, eco tents).
Of the properties you listed, Pompano would be my choice. Hamilton is accessible from Pompano by either bus, taxi or ferry (the hotel will run you down to the ferry stop).
Give me some idea of what you might like to do while you are in Bermuda and I will try to offer some suggestions. Have fun!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info! I am very overwhelmed.

We don't really have a specific agenda for our trip yet. I know we will want to do a lot of relaxing on the beach. I think we will also rent mopeds to explore. I would like to maybe go horseback riding. There's no zipline is there? Maybe a boat ride and/or snorkeling. And definitely some nice dining and shopping. Oh and possibly some spa action. I think our problem is that we want the best of all worlds (beach/town/luxury) for a price we can't afford.

How long does it usually take to get from Pompano to Hamilton? And if we stayed in Hamilton, how close is a nice beach? Sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure we make the right decision. Thanks again!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

One more question: I've been checking all the sites I can think of for hotels: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. I was wondering what people think is the best site to get the best prices?
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM

Hi wattsrocks, I have a little clearer picture of what you may be looking for. If you are willing to ride the scooters, you will be happy to be in Pompano. I ride them during the day, never at night, when I am drinking or if it is raining. You can get from one end of the island to the other in an hour. It is a great way to get around. The food at Pompano is quite good, but you will also want to go into Hamilton for one or two dinners. I have topped two threads on things to do and places to dine.
No zipline in Bermuda, but you will find plenty to do. The mopeds will give you the freedom to stop at the small less used beaches. It will be a great adventure.
TNT vacations does some very cheap Bermuda trip. I find the best rates by calling the hotel directly and comparing what I find on orbitz. Many of the hotels will match the rates if you find them cheaper elsewhere.
If you have not already done so, check www.bermudatourism.com for rate information.
If you can book Pompano, I think you will like it. If it is full, let us know and we can recommend some alternatives.
Have a wonderful time. Bermuda is another world.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Pompano has a shuttle van which will take you to the Rockaway ferry stop. The ferry ride from there into Hamilton was just under 30 minutes, I think.

Taking the bus takes a bit longer. There are 2 bus lines which you can take, the #7 and the #8. I think the #8 is faster, but I didn't take it. The #7 took maybe 45 minutes-hour, it stopped a lot.

If you go to Hamilton by taxi it should take less time than this.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the recommendations! Cmcfong - We took your suggestion and decided on Rosedon. It looks lovely and their rates are much more reasonable. I'm a little bummed about not being on the beach, but it sounds like it will be easy enough to get to some. And I happened to read your restaurant post where you wrote "topping for wattsrocks". I feel so clueless, but I'm not sure what that means! I'm assuming it means that it's info for us too, yes?

Well thanks again and we're very excited for our trip !
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I think you will enjoy the Rosedon. I loved having my breakfast by the pool there.
I topped the restaurant thread so you could see some recommendations near your hotel. I also topped a thread about things to do in Bermuda.
The Waterloo will be just across the street and to the left (on the side of the Princess). Aggie's Garden will be just beyond there. To get to Ascots go right out the door at Rosedon and walk up the hill(Rosemont Avenue). It will be on your left about 1/8th mile. Rosedon is very conveniently located for walking about Hamilton. You can walk to the ferry or the buses.
If you decide to rent a scooter, I recommend you call Mrs. Thomas at Elbow Beach Cycles. You do not need to be a guest of the hotel to use the livery. She is the most safety conscious cycle renter with whom I have ever dealt (and I have been riding those bikes a long time!).
Have a wonderful trip and don't forget to write a report so we know what you did and how you liked it.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi CMCFONG!
We are leaving this Saturday for Bermuda and we are very excited! I have a question for you though. Since our hotel is not on a beach and therefore we will be using public beaches...what do you suggest we do for our beach paraphernalia? Should we pack our own beach towels? And what about beach chairs/lounges? I was wondering if we should just buy some cheap ones there and bring them with us? But then of course we can't take them on the mopeds. What do most people normally do?
Thanks!!!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Oh that is so wonderful, wattsrocks. You are going to have a marvelous time. I believe the Rosedon provides guest beach towels. Send them a quick email, they will probably confirm. I have never used a beach chair there, just sit on my towel or hang out in the water. Horseshoe Bay has chair rentals. You can ride your moped there, the space under the seat is plenty big enough for your towel, put the lotions, etc in your basket (take a backpack, perfect for this purpose).

Have a wonderful time and don't forget to post a report. We will all get to enjoy a Bermuda vacation vicariously!