Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Ambergris: walk-in snorkeling? swimming?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...I just posted about looking for a place in Belize with walk-in snorkeling and decent beaches/swimming with two kids (ages 6-8). Is there anyplace on Ambergris that offers snorkeling right off the beach (no boat trip required)? I thought someone said you could swim off piers in Ambergris...again, any particular stretch of the island better than others?

thanks!
Kate
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Ramon's, which is on the side of the town of San Pedro has an artificial reef at the end of its pier. We've seen nurse sharks, rays, even a moray eel there, as well as lots of fish. It is probably the nicest stretch of beach 'in town'. Further south, there is an artificial reef off the pier at Caribbean Villas, lots of fish, I rousted a huge ray there a couple weeks ago. Further south yet is the beach in front of Banyan Bay, great swimming, I don't know about snorkeling.

There are probably several places on north Ambergris, but I'm way less familiar with the area. If you get far enough north, the reef is really close and you can swim out. The trade off is, you're a very long way from town.

You don't need to stay at any of the above properties to swim on their beach/off their piers. The Palms and Belizean Reef are very nice condos very close to Ramon's (although BR doesn't have a pool). Sunbreeze Hotel is also close.

Xanadu and Coral Bay Villas (I own a condo there) are close to Caribbean Villas.

Banana Beach, Mata Rocks, Grand Colony are close to Banyan Bay.

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Tobacco Caye sounds best budget-wise for you. Tranquility Bay is Ambergris' most northern inn, the reef is close to shore for walk in snorkeling, but cabana rates (with kitchens) area bit over your budget.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback! Katie, are there any other hotels that far north? Is there anything resembling a town up there?
thanks!
Kate
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

JeanH,do you know if the Caribbean Villas' pier is only for guest use? They call it "private". Just wondering if we could use it if we stay elsewhere? Thanks! Kate
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM

We don't stay at Caribbean Villas and we use their pier every visit. Same with Ramon's.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM

You will love Ambergris Caye and San Pedro.

The snorkling off the pier at Ramon's is decent enough. Ramon's is just south of town. I personally would not want to stay at the resorts that are one or more miles south of town. And if you stay nearby you can stay at the pier for just a little bit and return, which is important for children. We saw lots of fish, and the kids had a great time.

We stayed at The Palms (next door to Ramon's), and could not have been happier with our location. My children are almost-8 and 6, and they had a great time.

We had planned three days on San Pedro and three days mainland. We ended up spending five days on San Pedro and only one day inland, essentially just getting ready for our flight home. We saw the Belize zoo, which is a must. Also, the Belize prison gift shop is worth a stop since it is nearby. I saw Altun Ha years ago, and ought to be shot for not taking my children. We'll make it next trip.

My daughter, who was 5 when we visited, still talks about Belize, and has a real interest in wildlife and nature, which I attribute in part to the good time she had in Belize.

By the way, all the beaches in Belize have sea grass. It's kind of gross, but life goes on. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM

San Pedro - Blue Tang Inn.....

www.bluetanginn.com