snorkle spots

Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
Glen

snorkle spots

We were in Cozumel and Playa de Carmen a couple of years ago. South West coast of Cozmel was pretty neat, but I'm looking for a great snorkle spot near a 3-4 star resort...Anywhere. We have our Padi dive certification, but this time just want to float and relax, with the occasional kick down to explore.

Nov 5th, 2002, 12:05 PM
TC

Do you want a place in Cozumel or are you looking for a new destination? If you want Cozumel, stay at the Coral Princess Resort (they have a web site and can also be booked through most travel agents). The coral reef in front of the hotel is amazing. We snorkel three times a day when there. If you are looking for a different destination, consider Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras. Amazing snorkeling right from the beach. Try Paradise Beach Villas or a little house from West Bay Village. Its easy to get to Roatan on Saturday's only non-stop from Houston on TACA Air. I think they fly on Sunday's from New Orleans. More questions? Send me an email.

Nov 7th, 2002, 04:37 PM
glen

Thanks for your response TC.
We haven't decided on the destination. We have been looking at Belize, Tulum area, even Cuba. We want a smaller, relaxed environment. I'll check out your recommendations. Thanks again.

Nov 8th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Susan

Belize has some wonderful snorkeling, but we did have to take excursions (we didn't snorkel from the shore). That's relatively easy in Ambergris, just short trips by boat. I know people also snorkel from Placencia, but that's a longer trip to get to the reef. (I think I'm also one of the few people who didn't like Placencia all that much.) Since I never stay in 3-4 star accommodations, I can't advise you on that.

South of Playa del Carmen is pretty good. We liked the snorkeling at Akumal and there are other spots as well.

Can't advise on Cuba since it's been 20+ years since I was there! However I think most of the resorts there would be AI. That doesn't appeal to me, however based on their popularity, I know that's what a lot people want.

We went to Australia a few years ago - the GBR was amazing, but it's a long way out. You can also stay on the some of the islands in the inner barrier reef. However it's a really long trip to get there and airfares are pretty outrageous!

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Carole

Hi Glen,

For good snorkeling just a few steps from your private beachfront villa, check out the Tankah area. We also have a wonderful cenote just up the beach from our villa. Never need to get in a car or boat. check out some of these web sites for more pics and info.

Casa Tropical (underwater pic taken right out front while snorkeling)
http://CasaTropical.com

photo of tankah's cenote'
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues98/apr98/diver_jpg.html

Nov 8th, 2002, 09:03 PM
glen

Thanks Susan and Carole

It's great to have this info at the planning stage of a trip.

much appreciated.

Glen.