Cozumel Where stay for diving and snorkeling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're off to Disney next year and El Conquistador, PR the year after. Want to do a side trip before each for diving and snorkeling. Have it narrowed down to Turks & Caicos for one year and Cozumel for the other (both recommended by dive enthusiasts). Trying to figure out where to go first and where to stay.

My wish list:
1. Diving is the top consideration.
2. Snorkeling from the beach is the other top consideration.
3. Will be going in late Jan or early Feb -- want to avoid a rough waves area. Do not want to fight big waves and currents to snorkel from the beach.
4. Would like a dive operation at the resort or affiliated with it (at least a relationship between the two) but don't want to stay at a hard-core dive operation resort.
5. Would really like to NOT have a zillion people on the dive boat.
6. Taking 22 yr old son so would prefer a 2 bedroom suite with common living area (that may be asking too much).
7. Would also like to do sightseeing in some afternoons.
8. Torture for us would be staying in a highly developed area (at conventions we stay at places like 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman or the Hyatt at Aruba -- do NOT want that for our side trip). Get us away from the big tourist areas.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Have never been to the Yucatan -- only to Loreto and Cabo San Lucas in Mexico.

Have been to Roatan, Belize, Bonaire, USVI, BVI, Grand Cayman, and other islands. For these 2 trips, we are almost 100% set on T&C and Cozumel.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM

I have been diving in Roatan, Bonaire and Belize as well as Cozumel, and I can't say I was thrilled with Cozumel. I thought the reef health and condition suffered in comparison to other places - I don't know if that's from weather damage or just being such a popular place for hordes of divers who might not always take the best care underwater. That's my opinion, of course, but I will be looking for other places to dive before I return to Cozumel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tx.
Anyone else?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
TC

Wow...don't think you can beat Cozumel for diving. The deep reefs have not suffered from hurricane damage. First question...what do you mean by a "side trip"? If you mean to add Cozumel onto a trip to another destination, you may want to first check flight schedules. We tried to add CZM onto a couple of weeks in both Roatan and Belize and found that we were forced to return to Houston to connect on flights. There are few flights between countries.

Having said that, if you choose Cozumel, have a look at The Coral Princess Resort. http://www.coralprincess.com/
They would offer most things on your wish list --(1) a top notch dive operation (Pepe's Scuba) with small, intimate boats and great dive masters on the property. (2) amazing snorkeling from the beach. (3) not a "hard core" dive hotel. (4) two bedroom condos with sterling ocean views. (5) could do afternoon sightseeing either on Cozumel or take 20 minute ferry to mainland. We spend a month in CZM each February with lots of divers. Everyone loves it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TC