QC/Montreal Hotels

Search

QC/Montreal Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QC/Montreal Hotels

We are looking for hotels in QC and Montreal for the end of September. I am a bit confused as to just where the "plateau" area in Montreal is - is it along St. Denis? Would this be a good area for two "senior" couples to walk to shopping/restaurants and/or entertainment? Any specific suggestions for hotels in that area?
In QC we are looking to stay within the walls if possible. I have checked tripadvisor but there are so many choices...
Any comments will be appreciated.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM

just got back from a week's travel to montreal and quebec

i think it's a fair statement to say that the area surrounding st denis and st laurent is considered plateau mont-royal. especially between ave du mont-royal and rue sherbrooke.

plenty of shopping/dining in that area, albeit most seemed geared towards the twenty-somethings (i'm in my latter thirties btw). but it's a short metro/taxi ride to vieux(old) montreal and downtown.

as for quebec, i can whole-heartedly rec the grand dame, fairmont chateau frontenac, which is the most prominent feature of the entire town; my opinion may be affected becuz i like to splurge for fairmont's gold level when staying, which provides a better level of service/room type/lounge; otherwise one might get stuck with a small, courtyard-view room

dominion 1912 seemed like a wonderful hotel situated in the charming lower town (a short funicular ride up to the walled area); another one to consider is the l'hotel du vieux quebec, which is in the center of the action along rue st-jean; other hotels like the marriott courtyard, hilton, chateau laurier seem like comfortable accomodations just outside of the walls (very short walk to touristic sites/areas)
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM
wow

Not sure what you mean about the "plateau" being St. Denis. I was in Montreal the last week in August. I love the area south of Sherbrooke, East of Peel. We stayed @ Hotel Le Germain on Mansfiled, South of Sherbrooke. Loved it! But another great hotel (but very very different from Le Germain) is The Omni on Sherbrooke just west of Mansfield. We walked everywhere...shopping, restaurants....
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
wow

Hotel le Germain on Mansfield
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM

The plateau area would not be my first suggestion for 2 "senior" couples who are mainstream and traditional in their tastes; I would certainly recommend an afternoon stroll along st. denis, for shopping and people watching on a terrace.
You should pick a hotel in old montreal or the center/west part of the city and cab it there, under 10$ cdn.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:02 AM

The Plateau area of Montreal is roughly east of St Laurent, and above Sherbrooke, with St. Dennis being the 'heart' of the neighborhood. This is a great neighborhood for strolling, shopping, and eating, with many many small reataurants, cafes and shops of all kinds. It has a more European feel to it than the bustling, Manhattan like downtown. True it attracts more if the younger crowd, but I can't imagine anyone not enjoying it's interesting shops, and quiet tree lined streets. Where the downtown has many large chain hotels, and the Old City has many smaller upscale hotels, the Plateau's forte is small b&b's and inexpensive European style hotels. The only large chain hotel in the area is the Crowne Plaza on Sherbrooke. If you go to the bbcanada site, there are dozens of b&b's in the Plateau area.
As for Quebec City, do try and stay within, or right outside the city walls if possible. Again, there are many nice b&b's in the heart of the old city. The James Thompson is one that gets a lot of good reviews.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM

We are in our 50's and will be staying at Dominion 1912 during our stay in QC later this month.

In Montreal we booked in the Vieux Montreal area at Auberge Les Sans Soucy and Auberge Bonaparte.

We did consider the Plateau area for our stay but opted for the old town given the accomodations. I did look at at b&b in the Plateau area called " Le Zebra"..google it. It is small but looked quite nice.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I figured it was Le Zèbre, that's how I found it on google; it's amazingly gorgeous, specially the gallery room....
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM

For Québec, see my reply at:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...amp;dirtyBit=1

For Montreal, I can certainly endorse PamSF's recommendation of the Les Passants de Saint Soucy and the Bonaparte.