calgary airport

Sep 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

calgary airport

Is there an easy way in and out of the Calgary airport toward Banff?
Sep 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I dont think there is a hard way! Its pretty straight forward
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM

As you exit the airport complex, follow the big sign to City Centre. This will have you turning right (south) onto Barlow Trail (Hwy #2A).

When you reach the intersection with the TransCanada Highway or Hwy #1 (known as 16th Avenue North as it passes through Calgary), turn right (west).

The TransCanada Hwy #1 will take you all the way into Banff National Park.

I read in another of your threads that you were going to Fairmont, British Columbia. If I've got that right, here are further directions.

A few minutes after you've entered Banff National Park, you'll have an opportunity to leave the highway and turn into the town of Banff. You can take that opportunity if you like.

However, if you just want to keep going until you reach Fairmont, continue west on Hwy #1, and do not turn into Banff.

About 20 minutes west of Banff you'll come to the intersection with Hwy #93. That intersection is known as Castle Junction. There are no buildings there. It's out in the wilderness. The intersection has been named after imposing Castle Mountain, which dominates the scenery there, and which you cannot miss.

Turn south (left) onto Hwy #93. This will take you through Kootenay National Park to Radium Hot Springs.

At Radium turn left again and continue south on Hwy #93 / Hwy #95 till you reach Fairmont.

I would guess that it would take you 4 hours to drive from Calgary Airport to Fairmont, not counting stops.

There is construction taking place on 16th Avenue North / TransCanada Highway in Calgary. Besides that, 16th Avenue North has many traffic lights on it. I used to think there were smarter ways of getting out of Calgary and avoiding the lights and construction on 16th Avenue. However, Country Hills Blvd, one of the alternative routes, has acquired many traffic lights and also is choked up during rush hour. So I've reverted to thinking that 16th Avenue is best after all. It's a bit slow and requires some patience, but in terms of following directions it's a no brainer. Once you get clear of the several blocks where construction is taking place, you have a clear run till you reach Banff National Park. In fact the highway from Calgary's western city limit to Banff NP is a good, 4-lane, divided highway.

To visualize the route out of the airport, go to

http://maps.google.ca/

Plug in the following starting point:

100 Airport Road NE, Calgary, AB, Canada

Plug in the following end point:

1110 16 Ave NW, Calgary, AB, Canada

That will help you to visualize how you exit the airport, get onto southbound Barlow Trail and then onto westbound 16th Avenue / TransCanada Highway / Hwy #1.

The ending address I gave you is for Earl's, a restaurant on 16th Avenue NW.

If you just carry on west from there, you'll get to Banff and beyond.
Sep 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM

If you are doing this on a one time basis, I suggest doing what Judy says.

I worked out a route using McKnight Boulevard going west. The route is straight forward, but a little tricky without a good map of Calgary.

It would be faster if you are trying to drive through traffic at rush hour times. Otherwise, take the well marked route Judy told you about.

Sep 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Some thoughts from a mildly disgruntled easterner who has flown in and out of Calgary many times, and who has tried all of the suggested routes.

I had thought that the Country Hills route was the best, but if Judy suggests that 16th Ave is now the preferred route, then things have come to a pretty pass.

I find it inconceivable that a rich province and city like Alberta and Calgary can't build a proper by-pass for the Trans-Canada Highway around the city, instead of it running smack-dab through the middle, with traffic lights galore.

Now I know that the Trans-Canada Hwy goes straight through the middle of my city (Ottawa), but at least it's a 6-lane freeway that moves well outside of rush-hours. Besides, the Ontario govt is still running a deficit and we don't have the money to throw around like oil-rich Alberta.

End of rant.

Having said that, getting out of Calgary from the airport is not all that bad. I'll still take Country Hills as I loathe the traffic on 16th Ave.