Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite small group tour company

Search

Favorite small group tour company

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might look at the web site for Backroads Touring Co located near London.
The main targets for this company are England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland,but they also go to France and other European countries.

We toured South Wales with Backroads last year and enjoyed it so much we are going again this year to North Wales.
The group was scheduled to be 8 people, but 2 did not show for some reason.

We truly went down the backroads of the region! I doubt if any other tour company gives as much bang for the tourist buck. We put in long days, with no commercial stops where the passengers were plied with liquor in hopes they would buy something. Dinners and museum admissions were included.

We ate at backroads pubs that were outstanding and we went places a larger bus could not have possibly gone.

Take a look at the web site and see if any of its tours interests you.

The drawback to a small group is that costs per person are higher in many cases. But compared to that rolling cocoon we sat in to tour Ireland, the small group set up let us blend with the locals.

I really had a good time; otherwise, I would not be booking with Backroads again.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
sks

I'm debating over doing a tour or travelling on our own this coming fall. I'm wondering how much more the trip really ends up being on a tour? Also wondering what age groups typically go on tours.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM

If you are interested in an Untour (as mentioned in a messge above), go to www.untours.com. They have programs in many European countries. The prices (given on the website) are extremely reasonable and include airfare, apartment rent, transportation, and support service.
Please note that, for each area, the website allows you to view each apartment.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:25 AM

Hello. I went to Peru with three friends. Although two of us speak Spanish very well, we decided it would be a less stressful trip if we used a tour organizer. We booked an tour with Lost World Adventures and I simply cannot praise them enough. First of all, we were the group, no other people! We had our own driver (we had a place to leave our purses, etc while we walked around, very clean and neat vans, airconditioned! ) and guide (fluent in English and Spanish and the Indian dialect of the Cuzco area) in each place we visited. We were on our own when we wanted to be (for example our day in Aguas Calientes we opted for massages, shopping and just walking around...didn't want or need a guide, however for Machu Picchu I definitely wanted a guide. The guide assigned to us in Cuzco and MP was trained at a Peruvian university in national history, archaelogy, and culture. What an incredible resources he was). I was extremely pleased with the service, courtesy and price of our travel with Lost World Adventures and will certainly use them again.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

To sks:
I think the age group depends on the type of tour. The more physically active ones tend to attract younger people (usually 50 and under). The higher/more difficult the activity level, the younger the average age. I've done multisport and plain walking/hiking. The multisport definitely had a much younger group. Also the more out-of the way areas, I think tend to have younger people. The ones that are more cultural or expensive tend to attract an older crowd.

I think it is more more of a problem finding a young group. I am in my 30's and one of the youngest, if not the youngest, on several walking trips. Though everyone is nice, it felt almost like I was traveling with my parents/grandparents. Different life stages too. They were talking about their former careers and grandchildren and kids who were older than me. Though interesting, not relatable.
Multi-sport, I was about the average age.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM

I am very interested in what Laurie Ann has to offer on her trip to Japan. Do you mind giving me your e-mail address? We are also looking at Imaginative-traveller for a trip to Japan and would like to "pick your brain". What time of year did you go? other questions as well. I know this a Europe Forum so would like to discuss with you and not waste everyone else's time. My e-mail is [email protected].
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM

My wife and I have travlled to Egypt twice with Imaginative traveller. To China with Travelearn and to Australia with Grand Circle Travel which is essentially the same as Overseas Advwnture Travel. Each one has its pluses and minuses. I like Imaginative Traveller beacuse it offers at least 4 differnt levels of travel. It is important to pick the right one. They offer Adventurer, Pioneer, Traveler, and Connoiseur. Make sure you look at each one. You probably want to stick with Traveler or Connoiseur/ I also like the fact that IT advertises overseas alot and our tour alway had an interestin mix of Australian, NewZealander, and Canadians. Overseas Adventure Travel stays in better Hotels but you pay for that. We plan to use IT to travel to India next year. We used Key Tours/Neon tours to travel to Turkey and had a very nice time with them as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I am another very happy Odysseys traveler. We will be taking our sixth trip with them in September to Croatia. We have also been with them to Spain, France, South America, Turkey and China. Their tour directors are outstanding. They started out just doing tours for university alumni organizations and museums, so their focus tends to be on cultural activities. You usually stay at least two to three nights in each location, so you have time to explore on your own.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM

I have used Wilderness Travel.

I went on a hiking tour through the Andes and to Machu Picchu with them. It was very nice. There wer 7 of us on the trek. We had Mercedes buses, tour guides at all times, brand new North Face tents, porters to carry our gear, and were waited on hand & foot! The porters boiled our water for us every day & even brought hot water to our tents in the morning so we could wash up!

I cannot speak about them highly enough. Wilderness Travel has tours that go all over the world and offers varying levels of activity on their trips.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM

My favorite is Intrepid Travel http://intrepidtravel.com/ .

I've done trips with them in Vietnam, Nepal and eastern Europe (Vienna-Prague-Krakow-Budapest etc) and they were excellent.
No more that 12 people, from all over the english speaking world, with a focus on responsible travel - ie. eating in typical local restaurants so money goes back to the local economy etc. Staying at smaller hotels rather than the big chain brands.

On my trips we've had people from 24-65 years old. There are a range of trip styles - basic, original, comfort, activity based, family. Lots of fun optional and sometime included activities - cooking classes, bike riding, canoe trips, elephant riding.

You tend to use local transport which I think adds to the experience, and stay in clean central 2-3 star hotels, so prices are quite reasonable (perhap USD50/day for Asia, USD100/day for Europe). Breakfast sometimes included but the other meals are up to you do your own thing or join in with the group.

On my last trip we had a lovely Polish guide and her personal/family stories added a unique dimension to the trip. All guides speak english, usually as a first language.

It is nice not to be constrained by travelling with another 50 people on a bus tour, but still have someone with local knowledge.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM

5Kingfishers-Isn't Intrepid great?I went to India with them last fall,and will be using them in Australia in October.My sister and I have our eye on one of the Independent trips in Japan for next year.

btw,I've begun my trip report on the Asia board(32 days in India 32 hours in Istanbul)
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM

Overseas Adventure Travel...small groups, wonderful prices.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Thanks for some solid information!