Reload this Page >

Intrepid Tours

Search

Intrepid Tours

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:03 AM
Fred

Intrepid Tours

Anyone used Intrepid Tours?<BR><BR>In particular, I am interested in their India tours.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Fred

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Suvi

Hi,<BR>If u r intersted in group travel, take Sita World Travel else if u are a independent traveler, contact me

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:58 PM
McH

Fred,<BR><BR>A friend of mine went to Thailand and I think Malaisya with Intrepid. He told me he had a good experience, accommodation and some of the food included where quite basic and the tour guide he got was a nice guy very enthusiastic. The thing I remembered he criticized was the fact they he felt that many of the things instead of being planned (lets say train tickets) where arranged at the very last moment, he did not have a problem but felt that it could be easy to get things mixed up.<BR><BR>I have never been to India, but I have traveled to someplaces in SE Asia independently. I can tell you that things can go quite more smoothly than expected, we had no problems and felt the experience was more complete. I think it is a matter of each person to decide what one will enjoy the most.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:20 PM
Robin

Hi Fred!<BR><BR>No, I have been to India this year beginning for a customized private tour as I hate group travel and have used the services of a local tour company in Delhi. <BR><BR>It seems the companies in Europe and US use the services of the local tour operator and hence the prices are higher. One is tempted to use a tour company from his/her own country as the trust factor is there but I can tell from experience (twice for my travel and once for my parents) that it would be best to let a local company do your tour. My one this year was full of off-the-beaten-track destinations in North India and specific hotel requests and tours in Kerala but the company I used took care of everything and the price was good.<BR><BR>I have not heard of Intrepid Tours and am not saying they are not good but just try out some local tour companys before taking a decision. India according to me is an intense place and an Indian with good contacts is the right person when you are there and not a company from your neighbourhood thousands of miles away.<BR><BR>As for finding the local tour companys - you can search in the web. There are hosts of them but be a bit careful on very low prices which usually have hidden costs.<BR><BR>The tour company I used is a small one and I heard a lot about them (some of the postings in Fodors) before using.<BR><BR>If you need any help, do email me and I would love to go through my records and give you the contacts.<BR><BR>Cheers!!<BR><BR>Robin

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
beth

Look into Explore Worldwide (www.exploreworldwide.com) which has offices in both the states and London. They offer modestly priced adventure tours, with modest accommodations,etc. but a small group and lots of fun! I went on a group tour to Egypt last year - only 12 people plus our guide, and did some really off the beaten track things. They offer tours all over the world.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:39 AM
ex-backpacker

I'm an ex-backpacker (too old!) who's been on three Intrepid tours within the last four years. I like the company and I like the fact that sometimes things seem unorganized and plans do go awry, but, when you're traveling independently, doesn't this sort of thing happen all the time? Intrepid doesn't treat you as a pampered tourist who demands air-conditioned buses and 5-star hotels. If this is what you're after, then forget Intrepid. Their groups have been generally small (less than 10), and what I like about them is that you're accorded a lot of freedom at every destination, and the tedious and sometimes frustrating process of getting tickets, hotel rooms, etc., etc., will be taken care of by your trip leader. This leaves you (or me) time to enjoy and explore to the max! I intend to sign up for more Intrepid trips...I heartily endore the company!