Favorite small group tour company

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have ever wanted to visit a faraway place that you weren't comfortable traveling to on your own, what tour company did you use? My husband and I are looking for recommendations on small tour groups (group size 20 or under) that we can afford on our retired teachers' incomes. We are interested in tour groups that offer at least a moderate activity level as we are both under 60 and in decent physical shape. We would also like to get away from the 'maddening crowds' and visit the back country as well as famous tourist sites. Although I have chosen to post this on the European board, we are interested in obtaining recommendations for overseas adventure travel companies in Asia and South America as well.

So, what's your favorite small tour group company and what trip(s) have you taken with them? Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:13 AM
P_M

I did a hiking tour of the Swiss/French Alps with Guerba. The group only had 10 people and was very affordable. This was a week-long tour, then I had some time on my own. If hiking in the mountains is not for you, they offer many different tours for different levels of activity. See this link for Guerba and other companies of smaller, active tours:

www.adventurecenter.com
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I'm going to India in March and also wanted the same thing you are looking for. I booked a trip through the imaginative traveller (www.imaginative-traveller.com) I don't know anyone personally who has gone through them, but I liked their style and read good things about them on the Lonely Planet chatroom.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:57 AM
P_M

Dori, could you post us back with a review when you return? I would be interested in hearing about more companies like that.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM

I will definitely post after I return. I'm a very experienced solo traveller but never do anything tour-like. So the destination and style of travel will be a new experience for me!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM

I am going to be taking an India trip in Fall of '05 with Intrepid. I've done a lot of research and they seem wonderful. Check out their website at Intrepid.com. They also offer interesting Europe itineraries.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM

A good friend travels with Odysseys Unlimited, which specializes in small groups, and she likes this company very much: http://www.odysseys-unlimited.com/
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Check out OAT, Overseas Adventure Travel. Never more than 16 passengers. I've been with them for three trips, Thailand/Vietnam, China and Peru/Galapagos, and would recommend them for any of their trips.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:36 AM

If you're interested in Spain and Portugal then you may want to consider checking out Saranjan Tours (http://saranjan.com/). They over several interesting tours throughout both countries. They are located in the Seattle area and have been in business a number of years.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Amy

I, too, travelled with OAT this past August and was very happy with their itinerary and services. I prefer independent travel, but had certain time constraints in both planning and travel (plus I wasn't too sure about Peru's infrastructure on my own.) The group was small, the activity level was good, and the variety and interaction very enjoyable.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
kp

Another vote for OAT. We've traveled to China/Tibet/Bali and Ecuador/Peru with them. Going to Jordan/Egypt this spring. We've met some wonderful fellow travellers on these trips.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Ok, at the risk of all the regulars here going crazy.... how about Rick Steves. His groups are pretty small and seem to have a lot of fun.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I would absolutely recommend www.imaginative-traveller.com. We are independent travelers but when we went to Japan a few years ago we thought a tour would be better. I researched extensively and chose IT. We had a wonderful trip and have become good friends with our guide, a lovely Australian woman. In the meanwhile she has become involved more in the company's management, planning expansion of offerings they have, which now include Europe as well as Asia, Africa and I believe South America. Their philosophy is great way to travel. No buses, only local style hotels, restaurants and public transportation generally, the way you would travel independently but with a lot more knowledge of a great itinerary and like-minded fellow travelers. Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM

I will also recommend Imaginative Traveller..We have taken 2 tours with them so far, 1 to India and 1 to Egypt, next year we are planning to go with them again to Vietnam..They have several styles of travel depending on your needs, whether you are an Adventurous traveller or looking for something a little less adventurous. They do use buses, overnight trains, camels, elephants, you name it. Although we have travelled independently many times, we have found that Imag Traveller takes you to places you just might not go to on your own and it is nice to have everything organized.You meet great people and their itineraries are excellent..They visit many countries and continents including Asia, Africa, South America, Europe, Middle East, etc..I highly recommend them.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:51 PM

May I inquire price ranges and lengths of trips? I only get 2 weeks per year right now. I have been travelling on my own, but these more local style guided tours really appeal to me for certain areas and to really cover some ground.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Adventures Abroad is my very favorite tour group. www.adventures-abroad.com. Small groups under 20 but most of my trips have been 10 or under.
Lots of physical activity and walking. Their office is really easy to work with and all of their tour leaders are outstanding. Check out their website and you can find everything you need.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Imaginative Traveller which I recommend above has all lengths of trips. For example to Thailand next year they have from 9 days to 43 days or something. Most would fit in 2 weeks. (Japan was 15 days.) They also have started offering some other styles of trips, for example "city breaks" and "beach villas" or something they call that are simply a long weekend or week, but these are not tours I think, only sort of "packages" to travel on your own. See their website which is easy to use www.imaginative-traveller.com.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Retired Teacher...
Try www.untours.com
I have travelled four times with them to Germany and Switzerland. They arrange independent apartments in small towns with significant in-country support/contacts. There is an orientation to area luncheon the second day there where you meet the other Untourists, and hook up (or not) with potential friends for further exploration. You LIVE in the town, shop the local markets, get to know your landlady, use local transportation, are apprised in advance of regional festivals/sights...all for an incredibly reasonable price...
Most stays are Wednesday to Wednesday (2 weeks) to take advantage of low mid-week airline fees. I highly recommend this company!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for sharing some of your special travel secrets with me. I have been to all of the websites you mentioned and it looks my greatest problem will now be just deciding where to go first! Keep those 20" carry-ons a rollin'
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:56 AM

I want to second the suggestion to try Untours. I have been on two trips with them to the Heartland area of Switzerland. After many years of independent travel, I am an ardent fan of Untours. In addition to the information given above: 1. Their orientation information includes detailed information of area activities (festivals, etc.) during particular two weeks that you will be there. 2. They have a local person nearby to answer any questions you might have as well as to help you deal with any problems that might arise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -