Search

Innsbruck

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Innsbruck

We will be passing thru Innsbruck in mid-
April for 24 hours only. How do we get to Bavaria to see the castle Neuschwanstein. It seems we can only book 24 hours ahead (according to their site) and since we are arriving in Vienna after (22hrs in air with a 3 hr stopover) I dont want to miss out. Any help will be appreciated..
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 04:32 AM
ira

Hi P,

The ticket center for both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein is at http://tinyurl.com/uhdc8

You can buy tickets UP TO one day in advance.

>How do we get to Bavaria to see the castle Neuschwanstein.<

Train schedules for Innsbruck to FuEssen are at www.bahn.de, but the train takes at least 4 hr.

It's about 1:30 hr by car.

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply Ira, We will have to take the train as the tour is only on Thursdays. Does the horse-drawn carriage still take you up to the Castle? Is there enought to keep an 11 year old girl entertained for a full day in the area. I realise we will be travelling 8 hours (ouch) by train but I cant see any other way of seeing the Castle. Cheers Pawsha
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM
J62

This itinerary doesn't quite make sense to me.

This is what I understand you are trying to do.

You are flying into Vienna, then going to Innsbruck for 24hrs. It's a 5 hr train ride from Vienna to Innsbruck. From Innsbruck to Fuessen you want to take the train. Trains from Innsbruck to Fuessen connect in Munich, and take 4hrs total, both ways. To get to Fuessen by 11am, you will take the 6:30 departure from Innsbruck.

My recommendation is that if you are set on going to Neuschwanstein, then rent a car in Innsbruck and drive there, or bypass Innsbruck all together and go directly to Munich.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

HI J62. We will be spending a week in Vienna, 2 days in Salzburg and then 24 hrs in Innsbruck on our way to Zurich and then Paris. Dont mind what time the train leaves. We dont want to drive as the driver misses all the scenery and, we drive on the correct side of the road at home. I think you got the 11 a.m. thing from my stating we would have our llyo with us. Thanks Pawsha
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM

If Neuschwanstein is what you really want to see, then skip Innsbruck altogether and spend one night in the Neuschwanstein/Fuessen area between Salzburg and Zurich
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
I agree, I would skip Innsbruck and go to Fussen from Salzburg (Neuschwanstein is only a few miles away). Not to knock Innsbruck, but we liked Salzburg and Fussen better. Also, to keep an 11 yr. old entertained...check out...www.tegelbergbahn.de
It's next to (very close) to the Castles.They have a good cable car with cafe at the top and an Alpine Slide (Sommerrodelbahn). Click the leisure button to go to Sommerrodelbahn. This should help with entertainment! It did with us even though we're in our 40's. Oh, Hohenschwangau, "right next door" was also an excellent castle to visit.

Paul
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We are changing our accommodation to Fuessen instead in Innsbruck as it looks as if it will be what we are after. Any suggestions for what we can do in Vienna ? We have 3 full days there. Regards Pawsha
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi pawsha,
You would be better off starting a new thread titled "Vienna".
If you are interested, we loved the Hotel zum Hechten in Fuessen. www.hotel-hechten.com
The horse drawn carriage still takes you to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, "next door", is also beautiful. Fuessen itself is a charming old town to wander too! One of our favorites.

Paul