LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION: Ashford vs. Dromoland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's confirmed; I'm going to be teaching a class in Co. Donegal in early February!!! (I certainly wouldn't have chosen February, but hey, it's a free trip to Ireland!)

The plan is to arrive 8 - 10 days early and vacation. I'm thinking about a few days in Donegal before my class; a few days in Dingle; and a few days at one of those gorgeous castles I've been reading about.

So . . . my first (of many) questions is . . . Dromoland vs. Ashford. They both look fantastic -- but which is better located for sightseeing? What's nearby?

Or . . . are either of these close enough to use as a base to tour Dingle? Thanks so much!
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Dromoland is in Clare. Easy access from airport within easy driving distance of Limrick,Cliffs of M,Galway and the west coast. You can also make it to Cork in a day. Since you are headed north you could easily tour the area along the way. You would be going Galway, Westport,Castelbar, Sligo on to Donegal.
I have never been to Ashford. I have had tea several times at Dromoland as I lived for a short time at Corofin.
Some reading that will give you insite
The Great Hunger Cecil Woodham-Smith
Cashelmara Susan Howarth
both older books but as you drive north keep them in mind.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Joanne -

Thanks so much for the info. I read Cashelmara at least 25 years ago and I loved it. I didn't remember that it related to Ireland -- but I'll definitely reread it -- maybe during the trip.

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:06 AM

We just recently stayed at Dromoland for the first night of our honeymoon and loved it. It was very expensive, but we enjoyed our luxurious stay. It is very convenient coming from Shannon airport and there were quite a lot of things to do nearby. Enjoy!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

FYI, I'll be there mid-week in February, and the rate seems quite reasonable to me -- 170 Euros per night -- including breakfast AND dinner for two. But again, that's probably the least desirable (and least expensive) time to go.

Any thoughts about what to see in that area?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I haven't seen Dromoland but have seen Ashford. Although I didn't stay there, it's in a lovely setting on a lake. You would be near the area where "The Quiet Man" was filmed, plus other sightseeing.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Dromoland is a great location and the price you quoted is VERY good - and it is because of the time of year.
We spent 2 weeks in Clare during February a couple of years ago. There are many places to go and see starting with Kilrush on the Shannon all the way up to Galway in the north -- total distance of 90 miles at most. It's a quiet time of the year but there are things to do and the weather is rather mild 35 to 50's. We caught a session in Milltown Malbay during a Sunday afternoon based upon a girl we met in a store in Ennistimon. Ennis, Lehinch, the Cliffs, Doolin, Ballyvaghan, The Perfume Factory, Kinvara. As I said we spent 2 weeks driving around Clare and had a grand time.
Someone said the Dromoland has the best Irish Coffee in the country.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Um, er . . . the price I saw for Dromoland (170 Euros) is PER PERSON; not for two . . . I'm going to have to rethink this!
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:21 AM

Which is why I have only been there for tea. Dinner while highly rated is not cheap either. There are a ton and I mean a ton of B&B's within 5 miles.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:54 PM

hi songdoc. we have stayed in ashford castle for a couple of nights and it is a lovely place to stay.

friendly, helpful and professional staff, gorgeous bedrooms, and great food (a la carte or set menu when we were there and the set menu was €65 each as far as i remember but of course if you were to go a la carte and have one or two courses it would be much less). they have a very lengthy wine list (something like 67 pages when we stayed there) and the mark up was low compared to a lot of places.

i have just checked their site and i notice that while the rate for a room if you use the book now option is €175, but if you check out the 'last minute offers' section on their home page, the same room is €97.50. so my thinking is could you leave it till the last minute to book the room? you should have no problem finding any accommodation around ireland at that time of year so booking up in advance is not necessary therefore leaving you free to take the chance of ashord's 'last minute offers' option. just an idea to let you know you can get it cheaper (though probably not around the 14th of feb).

good luck and hope you enjoy donegal too!

catherine
www.welovedonegal.com
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM

oops forgot to add ashford castle website www.ashford.ie
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Wow! I love the idea of basically 1/2 price by waiting till the last minute to book. At half price I think I can afford it! Thanks so much for sharing the tip.

By the way, sorry for the delay in responding. I was working crazy hours on a business trip.