Search

Beara vs. Kerry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beara vs. Kerry

I am trying to decide what to do with my day between Kinsale and Dingle in July. I have heard the Ring of Kerry is on the standard list of 'must-sees', but I also hear that it is crowded with tourists. If I opt for the less crowded Beara Ring, will I be missing out, or is this perhaps even a better option?<BR><BR>Jason<BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Hi Jason:<BR><BR>Well, you're right, the Ring of Kerry is pretty crowded in July. I suggested this to someone, maybe you, that you could do the Ring of Beara on your way, land somewhere around Kenmare (Sneem maybe), and then after dinner, take a liesurely drive along the south coast of the Ring of Kerry. The tourism will be lower by that time of the day and you should have plenty of sunshine to work with. The sun sets in mid-July around 9:50 along the west coast.<BR><BR>I don't think you will be missing out at all, but some disagree. To me, the bulk of the Irish landscapes loose a lot of their punch when they are packed with tourists and you are dodging buses the whole time. Beara will be much more quiet and you will probably not see many of the larger tour buses as you get further out on the peninsula. The other problem is that by the time you get from Kinsale to Kenmare (provided you go that way), you would be getting pounded by oncoming buses. If you were to start the Ring of Kerry after midday, you would probably want to go counter clockwise. I presume most of the buses leave to start the Ring in the morning. You probably wouldn't catch up to most of them for a while. If you started early in the day, go clockwise and you won't see any buses until you're about halfway around. I'm guessing on the midday thing because I've never tried the Ring from Killarney later in the day.<BR><BR>The parking lot at the Cliffs of Moher, for instance, has become a haven for entrepeneurs selling all sorts of &quot;irish&quot; stuff. It's almost intolerable at miday with all of the buses there. If you are going, try to find a way to get there early in the morning or late in the evening.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Ardfert

The number of tourists going to Ireland has dropped a lot recently due to the possible war in Iraq.This looks like a good summer to visit the Ring of Kerry.Some hotels are cutting their prices so much that they are beginning to compete with the Bed and Breakfasts.Jury`s Doyle hotels often have good value on www.jurysdoyle.com.If you arrive in Ireland without a booking you will often get good value from special offers in the newspapers.

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:45 PM

jsiegendorf,<BR><BR>If Fodor's is any kind of barometer, it would seem that the Beara versus Ring of Kerry debate has joined the ranks of such famed and long-standing clashes as Coke vs. Pepsi, Quisp vs. Quake, Laverne vs. Shirley. <BR><BR>Kidding aside, the Beara/Kerry debate is a good one and makes for lively, and interesting conversation. <BR><BR>Both destinations, as you can guess, have much to offer, not the least of which is wonderful scenery. However, given your limitations concerning time, I'd suggest that you tour the Beara, perhaps driving as far north as Glengariff, grab a bite of lunch, then drive the peninsula, and finally stay for an overnight around Kenmare. It is here that you'll find a wide choice of quality accommodations and restaurants.<BR><BR>The Ring of Kerry, even at the height of summer, can be a wonderful trip. But it seems to me that too many people make the error of driving the entire 100-odd miles in a single day. Even if you should get an early start on the day, before the tour bus riders finish their morning coffee, the idea of driving the whole &quot;Ring&quot; is flawed. A better plan, if you can fit it in, is to plan for at least a single overnight along the &quot;Ring&quot;. The peninsula is particularly scenic when the light is low and you have the roads free from the tour buses. Another reason for extending your stay on the &quot;Ring&quot; is making a day-trip out to Skellig Michael, one of Ireland's most stirring historic attractions.<BR><BR>In closing, enjoy your trip around the Beara, but do make a note about a future - and extended - trip along the Ring of Kerry.<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I'd choose Beara - there's more interesting sights/kilometer on this peninsula than Ring of Kerry. For example,there are more castles, churches, and prehistoric landmarks than on Kerry. The scenery and seclusion stand-out too! Lastly, the Beara Way for hiking is unmatched.