Search

Summer trip to Vail and Telluride

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2024, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer trip to Vail and Telluride

Hello ! I am new to the forums.

we are a family of 4, with adult children (22 &18) planning a week long trip to Colorado. This is our first time. We would like to fly into Denver and drive to Vail and spend 2 nights , continue on to Telluride for rest of the stay and fly out of Telluride to get home. We are flying from NJ.

we are an active family and would love to do some hikes. But my kids also would love to explore the towns, restaurants etc. we have heard Telluride is a gorgeous place.

I need some feedback about the 2 places we have chosen. Nothing is booked yet so we can change it around. Should we be considering any other spots ? We are very well travelled so we like charming towns, nature , scenic views, good restaurants and some people watching 😀.

open to ideas and suggestions.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 06:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Beaver Creek is just beyond Vail on the highway. Very nice too.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vail: Two nights is one full day. We've enjoyed renting mountain bikes, taking them up the mountain on the gondola and riding down on the sno-cat roads. More experienced/adventurous riders can take the ski trails. Same on foot without bikes. There are also in-town trails along Gore Creek.

Tips: Don't underestimate high altitude effects, esp. in the first day or two and esp. if you were thinking of hiking any uphill terrain. Carry water.

We've been skiing in Vail for more than 40 years and have made a few summer trips over the years. Are you interested in lodging and/or restaurant suggestions? If so, what are your budget and dining preferences.

Have you priced the one-way car rental??