Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sonnenalp, lodge at vail or vail cascade?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Gretchen

Anyone have any recommendations on which of the above three is better? I want convenience and luxury! Don't get away often but when I do, I like to enjoy it and will pay a more for it. Thanks a bunch!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:33 AM
denverite

Definitely the Sonnenalp for European style luxury and atmosphere. Also, better location.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Beth

I stayed at the Sonnenalp last Feb. We stayed in a Mill Suite with a loft bedroom. I did not care for the bedroom because the ceiling is very low. Our room was across the street from the fire station, and it was loud. I thought the hotel had great food, a big nice marble bathroom,and a great spa, however, I stayed at the Hyatt in Beaver Creek two years before that. The Hyatt is way better in my opinion. It is a ski in/ski out hotel, and very luxurious yet casual. They had live entertainment in the lobby bar. I think his name was Shannon Taylor. He was real good. I paid for the cheapest room , they upgraded us to a slopeside view. We roasted marhmellows outside the hotel in the big pit fire. While the Sonnenalp was fine, I liked the Hyatt much better. I've never stayed at those other places. Sonnenlap is not ski in ski out. You will have to walk in those uncomfortable ski boots. That's what I didn't like.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Cheryl

We stayed at The Lodge at Vail last year and really liked it ... although it was very pricey. The location is excellent ... it's probably the closest to the main lift. You walk right out of the hotel and a very short distance to the lift. Also, the Lodge at Vail has a locker service for your skis right where you get off the lift which was very convenient. Our room was nice but rather small. I think the rooms in the newer wing are larger with larger bathrooms (but more expensive). Their breakfast buffet (which I believe is included with your room) was incredible ... one of the best I've had. There is a nice outdoor heated pool and 4 outdoor hottubs. We liked it and would definitely stay there again.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:29 PM
coskier

The Sonnenalp! the Cascade is more of a convention hotel. its nice and if your into tennis a good choice other than that if you can affford the Sonnenalp go for it! Us with thinner wallets are envious!