driving to yosemite from monterey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to drive from Monterey to Yosemite Valley in 2 weeks for a few days. I think i want to enter on highway 120 because i think that's how to get the great view of the valley after coming through the tunnel. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

I called the front desk at the Ahwanee about dinner reservations. The woman told me that only Ahwanee guests can make reservations, but that we shouldn't have much difficulty getting seated if we walk in. We will be staying in another lodge. The woman also told me i don't need a reservation to enter the park if we have overnight reservations in the park.

I assume that most of the trails and roads are open. Am I wrong?

as far as I can tell, the weather is now about hight of 85 and low of 50 in the valley.,

i have been to yosemite a few times, but have generally only gone to the valley and the view of half dome. are there other things i should try to see?

thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 10:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by youngtom2910
i have been to yosemite a few times, but have generally only gone to the valley and the view of half dome. are there other things i should try to see?
Start right here, in alphabetical order.

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-a...s-to-do/sights

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You get to Tunnel View by entering the Park from the south, via highway 41, through Oakhurst and Fish Camp. We drove from Monterey to the south entrance right across the central valley. It's about a three and a half hour drive and fairly interesting.

Don't forget you need a reservation to drive through the Park until the end of September, unless you have lodging booked inside the Park.

Last edited by Barbara; Sep 12th, 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 12:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I called the front desk at the Ahwanee about dinner reservations. The woman told me that only Ahwanee guests can make reservations, but that we shouldn't have much difficulty getting seated if we walk in. We will be staying in another lodge. "

Oh Damn(!) I had reservations at the Lodge for the 3rd & 4th Oct but another Fodorite posted that ONLY Ahwahnee guests have access to the dining room. I read the site to mean, and posted here, that AFAIK yes, only Ahwahnee quests could make reservations but that any park guests were welcome space available. She came back posting that is not true. "No, no, no. I called and asked specifically and they said only Ahwahnee guests could enter". Maybe its a case of HUCA (Hang up / call again and maybe you'll get a better answer ) It would have been my cousin's first visit to the park (life long Californian). That and with the other closures/limitations we just decided to cancel and try again in the Spring.

"The woman also told me i don't need a reservation to enter the park if we have overnight reservations in the park."

up until a few weeks ago one did need an advance entrance reservation even with Lodging booked, but not since
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 12:14 PM

As mentioned -- you need to go via hwy 41 to see Tunnel View -- the southern route through Madera/Oakhurst. It is a longer drive with about 2000 feet more elevation gain than 140. What I personally would do is take 140 to the park. Then while staying in the Valley, drive up to Tunnel View - its only about 7 miles/15 minutes from Yosemite Valley Lodge.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 12:42 PM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for what to do... my favorite activities are hiking up... for the views, for the exercise, and for getting away from the crowds that horde the valley.

My favorites include these:
Four mile trail to Panorama trail
Yosemite Falls Trail
Nevada and Vernal falls via Mist trail
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by J62
As for what to do... my favorite activities are hiking up... for the views, for the exercise, and for getting away from the crowds that horde the valley.

My favorites include these:
Four mile trail to Panorama trail
Yosemite Falls Trail
Nevada and Vernal falls via Mist trail

just a couple of notes:

• It will depend on your days in the Park . . . Vernal Fall/Mist Trail are only open on weekends (Fri-Sun) through early November.

• Yosemite Falls is totally dry.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From Monterey, take Hwy 156 through San Juan Bautista. 156 to 152, thru Los Banos, 59 to Merced where you hit 140 to Yosemite. I would take Janis’s advice to go to tunnel on 41 for a look at the view. Longer and slower to go 120 or to 41.