Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help please for special bday! Yosemite lodging: Curry Village, Ahwahnee or Yosemite Lodge? (or Yosemite View?)

Search

Help please for special bday! Yosemite lodging: Curry Village, Ahwahnee or Yosemite Lodge? (or Yosemite View?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry. I know there are tons of postings here on this topic. But wading through it all, I don't find much on Curry Village rooms/cabins vs. Yosemite Lodge, specifically.

Anyone want to compare?
We HAVE stayed at Yosemite Lodge in the past. I recall the location was nice.
But the rooms were dark & not charming whatsoever. Food was fine. (Mtn room)

My hubby has had a hard year & this will be for his bday in March. (lost his dad suddenly this past yr) I'd like to make this stay super nice...and haven't been in yrs. Does Curry Village have any charm? More than Yosemite Lodge? I guess it has some cabin-like rooms at Curry? Perhaps it would be too shady/cold in late March at that end of the Valley? I can't recall if its location is less ideal? (than Yos Lodge)

Also considering the Ahwahnee but bummed as prices have really gone up! I called a few weeks ago & got a much lower rate quoted than when I call now. So it would be a SUPER splurge, & not sure whether to do it or not? Maybe for 1-2 nights w/other 1-2 at another choice? We did have our wedding reception there moons ago, so...could be nostalgic.

If you have a recommended room at ANY of these in Valley options, please share. I just can't remember which building is nicer at Yosemite Lodge...and which room we stayed in just on our wedding night. (a one-night splurge at the Ahw)

I did hear they have some jacuzzi rooms?
Please share if you've stayed in one!!

Could really, really use your help. I'd like to make this a special time...we sorely need it, too. (worry the ol' embers are waning a bit!) :-\

Anyone have thoughts on Yosemite View, too? Heard it mentioned here. Not sure how long it takes to get to Valley from there, or which hwy it's even on. I'll do some research. Thanks!!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to clarify that I think lodging near south entrance probably doesn't make sense...like the Wawona or Tenaya Lodge. Coming from Bay area. I guess both might offer some degree of 'charm'?

I know in a Nat'l Park...what we are there for, is the outside. BUT...in March...who knows what weather will bring, so might be alright to have an okay room, too.

As far as Yosemite View Lodge, or whatever I've seen it called, I was thinking of that, perhaps only as a stay-over as we drive into the park?
Does it offer anything special? Would allow us to be fresh for the drive in, esp. if commuting there on a Friday night, which I'm torn about. Maybe will simply skip & do full drive on Saturday instead.

His bday is on a Monday, so could splurge for Sunday or Monday night, if we can take that much time off work.

I've also heard the Groveland hotel mentioned previously? Had a ghost-like experience there once...
many yrs ago...not sure whether to risk repeating it or not! ;-)
Town seemed cute.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Curry Village is mostly very basic tent cabins. Charm factor is about zero. They do have a few very basic motel rooms iin one building. I've stayed in those; OK, but even Yosemite Lodge is better. Curry Village has a nice view of Half Dome from some areas, but no waterfalls.

Since it's his birthday, I'd splurge for the Ahwahnee if you possibly can. I believe mid-week prices are lower than weekends. Yosemite Lodge would be second choice. If you call (as opposed to reserving on-line) and explain the occasion, they may be able to give you a nice view room.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:02 PM

We usually made reservations a year in advance for Yosemite Lodge. I doubt that you will get any at this late date, although the Ahwanee might be pricy enough that it does not fill up.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM

A year in advance for summer and holidays, but she said March. The website shows lots of rooms available at YL, and some at the Ahwahnee on most nights in March.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM

If you can't see doing a room with a Fireplace at the Awahnee, I can vouch for the Yosemite View Lodge. Spacious rooms with fabulous spa tubs for two-and do ask for a top floor River View.
You will have a little private porch to sit on, and you can look east up the Merced River in it's frozen splendor in March.

You are not more than 5 minutes from the Arch Rock entrance in to the Park and another 15 in to the Valley. Chains may be a consideration as well in March.

My B'Day is the end of Feb and I know from what I speak here-the park is glorious this time of year !

R5
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM

It was a year in advance for March. In fact, when we were doing it on a regular basis, the day we left we made reservations for the following year. This was a few years ago, and attendance may have decreased. It might be that weekdays are not a problem, but weekends might be.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Given the parameters, I'd go for the Yosemite View Lodge as well since it is nice and not a long drive from the valley.

I wouldn't stay in Groveland since the drive is longer and the road is steeper/higher, so if there is bad weather, that could be a problem.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ag3046

Curry Village is NOT charming.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Michael: You may very well have booked a year in advance for the Lodge - but that doesn't mean that you had to. Feb and March are the easiest months to get into YNP accomodations.

Daydreamer: If you can't get into the Ahwahnee (or if it is too pricey), my choices would be 1) Yosemite Lodge, 2) Yosemite View Lodge, and waaaaaaay down the list Curry Village.

Even though Yosemite View has nicer rooms - I personally really prefer being right on the Valley floor. But Yosemite View wouldn't be a bad choice.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I've stayed in the cabins at Curry Village - very rustic - and probably more enjoyable in the summer months. If your preferred lodging is booked, just keep calling. There are always cancellations. I'd splurge for Ahwahnee if possible, Yosemite Lodge is fine for a 2nd choice. My neighbors like Wawona.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM

OK---one more time. The official website shows rooms available at Yosemite Lodge for EVERY night in March except the weekend of March 9-11. Prices are very good---like $108 a night. Ahwahnee is $294 on a few nights, but $394 on most.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/

No need to stay at Curry. If you want to be IN the Valley, and want an affordable room, it is available at Yosemite Lodge.

Michael---I don't know why it is different now; but I have found it easier to get reservations at National Parks in the off-season months these days.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! May I just ask...
that rockslide that impacted things near El Portal last year...is that all taken care of now? (just wondering)

Normally we drive in via 120 (yrs ago) but if any snow at that time, I agree the other entrance safer.

Re: the Ahwahnee...I'm sooo bummed, as I once saw & heard a quote of 294 for it...but I waited too long, and now it's more like 374...or 334, if we stay a weeknight. But then you add taxes and the prices are an additional $35-40, on top of that! Ooo...I rue the day that I balked on booking...knowing now what I know. (that prices go up as availability goes down, I guess)

They won't admit to that, however. (when I probed today) Just say prices always the same! (except for a few days in Feb, they said)

Sigh...well. I'll see about at least doing the Ahwahnee for one-two nights. Just have to decide if I'm making the wknd more of a grind, switching places...or, whether it's well worth it for the money savings? ;-) I suppose that also depends on whether we're doing 3 vs. 4 nights. For 3 nights...might be awkward to switch. (altho' I suppose if just for his bday night, makes some sense)

But if 4 nights...could split down the middle. (altho' very tough for us to make it into the park on a Friday night...the whole last part would be dark, which would be NO fun) Sigh...
decisions, decisions!

Thanks everyone! And one day, we've got to check out the Wawona. I've only been in that area of the park once, and it was 20 some yrs ago, almost now.

If we lived in So Calif...would come in that way, all the time. (and we do love the "Tunnel View" from that direction) But I think for this trip...we'll stick to the main Valley area, only, probably. Appreciate all the prompt help...means a lot!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM

I am a pretty big yosemite fan--adn have stayed at a number of places in and around the park--for me, rather than staying at the ahwanee in an average room, i would stay at the yosemite lodge and eat all my meals at the ahwanee--where the restaurant is great and the dining room beautiful.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Tried to post this once, so forgive me if it shows up twice.

Tom, would you have a recommended area of Yos Lodge? I just can't recall the names of the various buildings there. Are upstairs rooms preferable?

Particular fave building? I sort of recall names like the Willows etc but have long since lost my lodge map.

Any help most appreciated, if you recall any favorite sections of the place! I'm so bummed I wait to book the Ahwahnee as now the rooms are fully 2x the cost of those at Yosemite Lodge. I might do it for 1-2 nights (depending on whether we have 3 or 4 in the area)...but can't really now see doing it for the whole stay. (my original preference...to just stay put!) Sigh...

Thanks again for your advice & feedback!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM

We were at the Ahwahnee for brunch on New Year's Day, it really is an amazing property. The Wawona Hotel is in a nice area, but it is a Victorian type of lodging, very different from the Awhanee Hotel. I have some photos of the Wawona Hotel on TripAdvisor that we took last month.

If you're not set on staying directly in the park, the Tenaya Lodge is very, very nice. A 4 Star destination resort with full amenities. Two swimming pools, jacuzzi, grand lobby, 2 restaurants, 2 gift shops and complimentary bikes. Next to the indoor pool is a small spa that is very nice, also.

Even if you don't stay at the Wawona, go for a meal, their restaurant there is very good, less expensive than the Awahanee and has lots of Vintage charm. ***kim***
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Hi There- About the 140 question, we drove it in November and it was a one lane detour, pretty easy, but you could be delayed a bit. I think that will be in place for a while, there are a lot of rocks to clear.
Also, I am a Yosemite girl from way back and stayed at the Ahwahnee for the first time, and absoluteley loved it.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM

You can find up to date info on the road at the park's website-www.nps.gov/yose
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM

It's good to read the positive comments on Yosemite Lodge. Just today a coworker recommended the place. The location looks very good.

My brother and I will be landing at Fresno airport around 10AM on May 17. On May 19, we will drive to San Francisco.

I made reservations for two rooms at Wawona for the 17th. Am hoping to get rooms at Ahwahnee for the 18th later (it is booked up now for that date and only one room for the 17th).

But Yosemite View might be best for both nights.

Let me know if the following is a reasonable plan. We land at Fresno at 10AM and drive to the park, making a stop at the scenic view outside the park. Visit Mariposa Grove, maybe stop at Wawona. Drive out to Glacier Point, stop at Bridalveil Falls and then head to our lodging (either Wawona or Yosemite View). I don't like the idea of backtracking to Wawona that afternoon (or early evening, I suppose) or the next morning. On the second day we will visit the valley. On one of the nites, we will going back out to Glacier Point at night to see the stars (new moon on the 16th).
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, you guys!!
Appreciate the road info update.

I do wish we could try the Wawona one day...for dinner or otherwise. Lunch maybe? But we'll be coming from the North...or due west...
and usually find that direction just too far out of the way. Isn't it a full hour or more from the Valley floor?

If coming from Los Angeles/So Calif, however, I'd definitely consider it or the Tenaya Lodge for a more 'indulgent' stay. By spa, do you mean massages, and the like? We've never done that. Maybe one day...

Depending on the weather...if it's rainy or similar...maybe I drive out to Wawona & Mariposa Grove would be a nice day outing. Then we could do lunch or dinner there. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -