Search

Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe

We are going to Spain September 4 till September 14 th .. we have that planned.. but we are leaving Spain going to Paris France . We need a pretty town to stay in for 2 days .. then on to Paris for 3 days so need place to stay .. then on to Switzerland need that planned out .. can you please help me .. it will be me husband 74 my self 73 thank you much venita Jenkins
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where will you be in Spain? How are you getting to Paris?
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Where will you be in Spain? How are you getting to Paris?
we are getting off a cruise in Barcelona Spain on the 12 then leaving Barcelona for Paris on a train.. we want to ride the train about half way to Paris at a pretty small village for a few days
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 05:09 PM

So many choices. I have no idea if it’s half-way (without looking it up) but when we took the train from Barcelona to Paris a few years ago, we would have happily gotten off the train in Nîmes for a few days. Have been there before and loved it. But it’s not small so probably won’t fit what you’re looking for.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 05:11 PM

Trains generally do not stop in small villages, and if a village, it usually will not have a hotel. I would guess that a train from Barcelona to Paris would go up the Rhone valley. The one pretty village I can think of that might be accessible from Lyon is Pérouges which has a couple of B%Bs and restaurants. But I suspect that the bus stops at the bottom of the hill, in the modern town, about 1 km. from the pretty village:

https://flic.kr/p/8pzF5U
I would suggest a stop in Arles, which has a train station and a free shuttle to the center of town. No problem with restaurants or hotels.

https://flic.kr/p/ovBfWj
or Tarascon which is a pretty town:

https://flic.kr/p/og8Fmd
If you Google any town or village that you find on your search, you can then ask for an itinerary by train and Google witll indicate if there is a connection and how long it would take.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 05:45 PM

We took a train from Barcelona to Montpelier and enjoyed that city very much. There is a GTV to Paris from there now.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 03:32 AM

The one site that might make some sense is Nimes as the 9702 stops there. Not a village but certainly not a city, only 150k people with a lovely old centre.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:21 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
How many nights do you have for Switzerland? Which city will you arrive into? What are your interests?
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:23 AM

Make that TGV..fast train. Note that we left from notthe main train in Barcelona. When we hit France, conductor came around asking for IDs. This may have changed but be warned not to pack away your passport!

Last edited by TDudette; Jun 16th, 2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland

Originally Posted by Melnq8
How many nights do you have for Switzerland? Which city will you arrive into? What are your interests?
we don’t know when we will arrive in Switzerland but we will have about one week or 9 days .. we really want to see A lot. We don’t know where to start. We don’t hike 73-74 years old
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 08:44 AM

I consider any place of 150K a city. By my terms, I think of any place over 100K a city for sure. I consider both Nimes and Avignon cities.

I've done that and stayed in Perpignan. I've also enjoyed Narbonne, Montpelier is a lot larger.

I do really like Avignon, though, more to do there. But for a smaller place, I'd vote for Narbonne.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:16 AM

>>we are getting off a cruise in Barcelona Spain on the 12 then leaving Barcelona for Paris on a train..
we want to ride the train about half way to Paris at a pretty small village for a few days.<<

Two choices come to mind. Ezes and Saint-Remy-de-Provence
Ezes (30700)
Saint-Remy-de-Provence

For Ezes take the 10:05 TGV train Barcelona Sants arriving Nimes 13:45 , local public transportation or private car(30 min, 24km) to Ezes
2 nights in Ezes
Then to Paris-local public transportation or private car(43 min, 41km) to TVG train Gare(Station) Avignon TGV.
Avignon(non stop) to Paris Gare de Lyon 2hr45.

For Saint-Remy take the 10:05 TGV train Barcelona Sants arriving Nimes 13:45
local public transportation or private car(48 min, 44km) to Saint-Remy
Also an option-you could take the train from Nimes to Gare Avignon Centre(layover 1hr02, leaves Nimes 14:47 arrives Avignon Centre 15:18.
local public transportation or private car(30 min, 24km) to Saint-Remy
2 nights in Saint-Remy
Then to Paris-local public transportation or private car(30 min, 24km) to TVG train Gare(Station) Avignon TGV.
Avignon(non stop) to Paris Gare de Lyon 2hr45.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by venitasj1
we don’t know when we will arrive in Switzerland but we will have about one week or 9 days .. we really want to see A lot. We don’t know where to start. We don’t hike 73-74 years old
Suggest you start by looking at the Berner Oberland...Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren - loads to see even for non-hikers. Cable cars, gondolas, funiculars...boat trips on Lake Thun, stunning Swiss Alp scenery, etc. This is the area most first time visitors to Switzerland seek out. Then perhaps a city stop in Lucerne - museums, etc.

Highly recommend you get around by train - Switzerland's public transport system is second to none.

Here's some reading material to get you started:

https://www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/bernes...ngfrau-region/

https://www.luzern.com/en/

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...-ch-lu-luc.htm

Then perhaps start a new thread specific to Switzerland once you've got an idea of what you'd like to do there.

Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:35 AM

Narbonne is good too
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Bookmarking for the great advice!
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland

Originally Posted by Melnq8
we don’t know when we will arrive in Switzerland but we will have about one week or 9 days .. we really want to see A lot. We don’t know where to start. We don’t hike 73-74 years
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 10:45 AM

For Switzerland
Transportation via train in Switzerland

7 nights
train- Paris Gare de Lyon (Train station) to Montreux
Montreux- 2 nights
Grindelwald-3 nights
Luzern-2 nights
train Luzern to Zurich airport. Fly home

9 nights
train- Paris Gare de Lyon (Train station) to Montreux
Montreux- 2 nights
Zermat-1 night
Grindelwald-4 nights (day trip to Bern)
Luzern-2 nights
train Luzern to Zurich airport. Fly home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -