Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The most interesting produce market you have ever visited in Europe? Or, for Fodorites living in Europe, the produce market in your city/town?

Search

The most interesting produce market you have ever visited in Europe? Or, for Fodorites living in Europe, the produce market in your city/town?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Judy

Whenever travel to a new place, I always make a point to see their central market(or grocery stores if it's a small town). It is fascinating to see all the different vegs, meat,flowers,etc. Many times I found things never seen before.It is interesting to see the way people check out items, shopping too. <BR>Have you visited any interesting market when you travel in Europe? What's the most unforgetable thing you found? Or what's the best market in your home town( for people living in Europe)?

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Miriam

Hello Judy, <BR> <BR>I´m like you, I love markets. <BR>Here are some recommendations for Germany. <BR>If you happen to be in Munich, visit <BR>the Viktualienmarkt-great atmosphere and a good place to shop for lunch. <BR>In Frankfurt-the Kleinmarkthalle is a must. It`s a hall, not an open market, but the diversity of fresh products and spices can`t be beat. <BR>In Hamburg-of course-the Fischmarkt(fish market) <BR>Finally every little town has it`s own market, mostly on Friday or Saturday and a lot of them are very nice. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>Miriam

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:15 AM
PB

I live in Maussane-les-Alpilles in Provence. Our village market is small, except in the summer, when it becomes pretty large and filled with stalls selling everything from artichoke flowers to provencal fabrics. <BR> <BR>This past Thursday (our market day), we had beautiful asparagus (raised nearby in the Camargue), spinach, baby artichokes and the first strawberries from the area. Soon we'll have lots of strawberries, followed by cherries, apricots and peaches - all grown here. Plump eggplants (both purple and white), fresh spinach, new violet garlic, about five varieties of lettuce are just some of the things you'll find in the markets in Provence. <BR> <BR>PB

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:03 AM
karen

When I lived in Rome, I did my shopping at Campo dei fiori, which remains my favorite. It's certainly more expensive than other outdoor markets in Rome, but so beautiful and so lively! Another great one in Rome (bigger, cheaper, and more "authentic" as the Romans would say) is the market at Testaccio. The produce at any outdoor market in Rome is just glorious. Happy shopping!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Maribel

Judy, <BR>An important part of my sightseeing, too, is visiting local markets. My favorites in Spain: <BR>"La Boqueria" (officially called the Mercat de Sant Josep) in Barcelona, right off the Ramblas. A feast for the eyes and the senses. Beautiful, artistic displays of fruits and vegetables. <BR>"Mercado de la Brecha" in San Sebastian-the freshest fish imaginable-where the Michelin starred Basque chefs can be found in the morning, selecting their fish of the day-it seems less atmospheric now that they have put it underground and placed a modern, soul less shopping mall atop where the old market was, but still highly worth a visit. <BR>"Mercat Central" of Valencia-a 1928 Modernist (Spanish Art Nouveau) building, one of the largest indoor markets in the world and the largest in Spain (even featured in Bon Appetit mag)-has around 1,300 stalls-is a constant riot of color and activity. <BR>It's a must see, a major tourist attraction of the city.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:13 AM
StCirq

I'm a part-time Dordogne dweller and we have some of the finest markets in France. One of the most interesting is the truffle market in Sorges, where in winter the local truffiers gather to sell and trade the precious "diamants noirs du Périgord." To walk into the hall where the truffles are laid out is to encounter one of the most profoundly affecting scents in the world. The regular Saturday market in Sarlat is an incredible treat, too, though in summer it is elbow-to-elbow. Besides the usual spectacular array of vegetables and fruits, the stalls are bursting with tins and jars of foie gras and its related products, confits, cassoulets, fava bean soup, and stuffed quail and goose neck. And of course the butchers have piles of fresh foie gras. The fromageries sell cheeses from all over the southwest, but the local specialty is cabécou, an unpasteurized disk-shaped goat cheese that is delicious. Walnuts are also widely grown in the region, and you can buy walnut cakes and walnut pies with mounds of crackling puff pastry. The walnut shells are ground up and sold in large bags for kitty litter.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Judy

How interesting of all your posts are! <BR>To PB: Look at the flying heavy snow outside( there is 2 feet of snow in my backyard,and they say another half foot today), I am so envious of all the fresh produce you could have already,The flown-in half wilted vegs in the suppermarket are just not the same. I could still taste the fresh,young,fat asparagus I had last Spring in Belgium. <BR>To Maribel: I quite agree with you, the central market in Valencia is one of the must see,It is the first place I check out in the early morning and having breakfast whenever I go to Valencia. All the fresh seafood and spices! <BR>To St.Cirg: I plan to do some walking this Fall around your area,Definitely the markets will be one of the highlights. When is the peak season of truffle?

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 09:50 AM
StCirq

Truffles are gathered from November to February, generally speaking, so the winter truffle markets are open for only a couple of months. You can almost always find someone selling a truffle or two at any market in the Périgord any time of year, but the actual "truffle markets" take place in winter.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Judy

To St.Cirq: Thank you for the reply. <BR>Leaving for Brittany next Monday, do you know any market I shouldn't miss in that area?

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Linda

In Vienna, near the Hotel Drei Kronen and Karlsplatz Metro Station is an open air market with lots of produce (even in December), bakery items, meat, fish, etc. It was fun to look at the different items and see similarities and differences with our own farmer's markets.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Jon

Dolac open air market in Zagreb, Croatia. Just a minute walking from the main square and it has everything, fresh veggies and fruit, fish from the Adriatic, souvenirs, candles, flowers...

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Rex

Ulm, Germany - - in the shadow of that incredible Munster, every Wednesday. <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Joanna

The market in Catania, right in the centre of town off the main square in the shadow of Etna. Lots of colour and the local shoppers were almost as interesting as the produce! All sorts of cheeses, fruits, vegetables, chickens and fish. It had a hint of North Africa about it, as it was a real rabbit warren, not the open air affair of Campo de Fiori in Rome.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:11 AM
sylvia

In London, Borough Market and the Columbia Road flower market.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Mike

Rue Mouffetard on a Sunday in Paris is surprisingly diverting.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Diane

During the week, early AM (8 is early enuff) the outdoor market along Boulevard Richard Lenoir in Paris. It moves up and down the street based on the day of the week. EVERYTHING is available there.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 06:58 AM
lovethispost

this is great but would love to see some markets in Tuscany...anyone have a story?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:49 AM
StCirq

Judy: I haven't been to Brittanay for awhile, but I remember a wonderful market in Vannes. Also, any tourist office in France should have a listing of local markts.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 08:15 AM
John

I'll put in a plug for the market on the Helsinki waterfront, where the boats from the islands and across the bay pull up and some of the farmers sell strawberries, daisies and potatoes off the aft decks. On the shore, the red awnings over the displays put a rosy tinge on everything.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Judy

To;lovethispost: Last month on my way to Volterra I visited the market in Colle Val D'elsa by chance,there was a truck with a whole roasted pig for sale, had a small piece,it was really good.There were all kinds of wild mushrooms too, some of them I have never seen before. At the central Market in florence,I had a tall glass of fresh blood orange juice, The taste was so different than the blood orange we got at home,it is unbelievable. <BR>Tot.Cirq: Thank you for your reply, I have a list of the markets in Brittany from their tourist office, just though it would be so much more interesting to know some personal experience. I plan to visit several markets next 10 days including the fish market in Concarneau.I will post some report when I come back if anyone is interested. <BR>Thank you all for the posts,I have printed all for further travel. Any more coming?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -