Search

College Road Trip with friends, Michigan to Florida

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
College Road Trip with friends, Michigan to Florida

Hello,

A few friends and I are looking to do a college road trip that would happen after our semester ends the first week of May next year, 2021. Looking for a road trip that would last around a week.

We are starting the trip in Berrien Springs, Michigan, near South Bend Indiana. Would love to head out more westward but are open to suggestions anywhere that would land us in Florida. Texas is a big interest, but we are also attracted to Denver, and the midwestern United States. We would also like to go off the beaten path every once in a while and are definitely looking for an adventure. Where would be the best places to go for a road trip during Spring heading south in the Central United States?

Ratasnipe
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 02:13 AM

I suggest a paper map and pins--you will need the entire US according to your post. Put pins where you want to go and then connect the pins/dots.
A week of driving from northern Indiana to florida is just about a round trip in itself. And of course, you don't mention where in Florida you would like to land--it is also a big state.
Denver is pretty much a western destination, not "midwestern". Texas is very large and driving to Texas and back is about a week without side trips.
And "college" is intriguing. How does that fit in. I guess you are graduating from high school. Have you had any geography classes?
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 09:05 AM

It depends on how much time you have, of course but first, I'd knock off any ideas of including Denver or the Rockies. Just too far, you can do that in another trip.

YOu don't have any time to do anything if you only have a week. The drive itself takes 17 hrs each way! That's to Tampa, I presume if Florida is your goal you want to go someplace mildly interesting with a beach, not just some place like Gainesville, of course.

So that's about 3 days driving each way, which is the entire week. And that is a direct route.

I don't know what your interests are, that would include Nashville and Chattanooga on that direct route. I might suggest a different target unless you have some reason to want to go to FLorida. For example, New Orleans which is a real fun city, and would be about a 2 hr shorter drive each way. You could include either Memphis or Nashville on that route, not too different ime, depending on your music interests.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen
And "college" is intriguing. How does that fit in. I guess you are graduating from high school. Have you had any geography classes?
Welcome to Fodors Ratasnipe. Please don't think everyone here is as rude as the response quoted above. I agree you may be a bit overambitious in the distance you want to travel. Figuring out your key spots you already know you're interested in and determining the drive times between will help you understand if you have enough time to add in any more. It will also help you determine if you need to remove any of your stops. Use Google Maps, drop some pins, and check drive times. That will tell you a lot.

Gretchen - good grief. Surely you're smart enough to understand this is someone in college asking a question, just someone who hasn't driven across this great nation yet and understood the implications. Guess the phrase "college road trip" was above your comprehension. Too bad your good advice is watered down with your bad attitude.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 11:49 AM

I may understand that better than you think. I gave him/her very good ideas about a map and where they want to go in order to see what he/she was asking. I got the idea it was a college VISIT trip but now see it could be college kids themselves. It is hard to say. The map idea still holds more water and I had suggested it. It is always the way I plan a trip. And it is a great way to learn geography.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 11:55 AM

I got the idea it was a college VISIT trip but now see it could be college kids themselves. It is hard to say.
Fair enough.

Have you had any geography classes?
But good advice given with unnecessary sarcasm.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 12:18 PM

I would suggest heading to Dallas then Houston, take I-10 to New Orleans, then I75 to Orlando, the Florida Turnpike to Stuart, then jump on A1A to Fort Lauderdale (Long but very scenic oceanfront drive}, hop back on the turnpike, then take US 1 to Key West.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wait a minute! These are "several" college kids. They could drive right through to Miami in about 20 hours, alternating drivers and crashing in the back when off. Not my preferred means, but it's done every day.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 02:18 AM

That's the ticket. Or rather, that's THEIR ticket.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How long is the trip?

No one can make a really reasonable reply until we know how long total you have. Number of people and type of vehicle would help also. Type of accomodations (you'll have camping gear, be in a van, need to find motels)? Think about what is the focus of the trip.

I've done the on-the-cheap drive from the New England states to Florida a couple times. But we mostly just barreled on thru heading south on the freeway, changing drivers, gassing up as needed, with the goal of hitting Florida sooner than later (once to Miami, once into the Keys).
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 01:08 PM

Following up on Fra and Suze in my young single days my roommates and me would drive from northern New Jersey to Daytona for a long weekend. Leave after work Friday and be there around 9 AM Saturday. All day Saturday/Sunday/most of Monday then back home early Tuesday to shave/shower and back to work. Would I do it now- no, but sure seemed to make sense then. Suze's trip was a lot longer than ours.

Do similar heading out after class Friday and be at Pensacola beach around 8 AM (14 hours) or further south to say Clearwater area by lunch (18 hours). Spend time there then on the way back stop in Nashville or out to hike in the Smoky Mountains, nice that time of year.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 01:33 AM

Suze says How long is the trip
No one can make a really reasonable reply until we know how long total you have

Not sure why people keep saying "how long is the trip" He says clearly Looking for a road trip that would last around a week.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 11:34 AM

Stop in Columbus to see The Ohio State University campus!!

Enjoy your trip