Driving from Munich to Koenigssee Lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit Germany in September 2021 and I need to know if the drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden and Koenigssee are at all treacherous? My husband has a phobia about driving on high cliffs, over high bridges, etc. We have driven as far as Salzburg from Munich before, but the map looks like mountains begin just south of Salzburg. If you are familiar with the roads in the area, please let me know if he would feel safe there. If not, I'll drop the lake from our itinerary. Thanks so much!!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 04:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it was uneventful. I do remember our rental car not having snow tires and we had an unexpected snowstorm in late September. That was a bit of an adventure.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 12:28 AM

While I dont know how bad is his phobia about driving in hilly terrain, it is pretty normal road, like any other road through hills, with a spectacular view. Nothing which can be counted as dangerous. But then, a snowstorm can make it adventurous for sure. Although I will count it as a low probability event in September.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Roads near Koenigssee

Thanks so much Macross and deepism! He is basically afraid of heights, so any cliff driving or roads that follow along a dropoff is not doable.
We're talking phobia here. It sounds as though the drive is hilly, but not too high? Thanks again!
Barbara
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 09:38 AM

I wouldn't call the roads from Salzburg Sud E55 or from Bad Reichenhall E55 to Berchtesgaden and Koenigssee spectacular, but they have absolutely nothing to do with mountain roads for sure.