Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in Spain - Barcelona question

Search

First time in Spain - Barcelona question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had 3 full days in Barcelona last November. We move pretty fast, walked 6-8 miles per day plus used the bus and metro. We were able to visit:

Self tour through La Sagrada Familia interior 1-2 hour + 1 hour exterior. Palau Guell, Casa Batllo, and Casa Mila. Casa Mila was probably my favorite from among these, but each is different and special. We probably spent 1 hour or so in each.
Park Guell monumental core 1+ hour (I would just view from the street outside the fence with your short time).Not many places to eat nearby.
Recinte Modernista de Sant Pau 1+ hour only a few buildings restored and open, but almost deserted, so very quiet.
Evening concert in Palau de la Musica Catalana
We did lots of walking through the neighborhoods.We found most places were closer together than we thought except the Park for which we rode the bus up, then walked the long way down through Sant Pau, then La Sagrada Familia, then back to our hotel. We could have sped up by using a taxi for these longer distances.

Miro Museum - only recommend taking the time to get there if you are a fan.
Mercat de Santa Caterina. OK market, but not worth a trip out of the way.

We didn't go to the Picasso Museum, so I can't comment on that. I don't usually plan museums for day of arrival.My husband almost fell asleep at a museum in Iceland on arrival morning of recent flight. I suggested he go into an alcove that was set up with comfortable chairs, books, and a chess table and nap in the chair while I sat in the other, but he wouldn't do it, so we left and he fell asleep in the car (I was driving).

In November, we needed book La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell in advance, but could walk up to the others with little wait to enter, but I don't about September and with your tight time frame.
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! What would you recommend seeing?
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone! Booked Cas batllo, sagrada familia, monumental zone in parc guell & Casale Mila in that order for Friday - sagrada familia was not available at time I originally wanted. Now I have to figure out Saturday
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Kay2 - "Miro Museum - only recommend taking the time to get there if you are a fan."

First of all, my apologies to all modern art aficionados. Here is my quick take on the Fundaciķ Joan Mirķ.

"Soon, we were back outside and starting to walk the road on Montjuīc Hill to our next destination…the Fundaciķ Joan Mirķ. We knew it was a contemporary Catalan art museum, so our expectations were not high (modern art, as we have stated, just does not do much…if anything… for any of us).

As we walked toward the museum I asked about Joan Mirķ. “Who is this woman?” Although he doesn’t understand modern art, Kim does recognize an idiot when he hears one. “Tom, Joan Mirķ is a guy.” Obviously, all those recent CNN International reports on Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner were having an effect on me.

The Articket BCN got us in Fundaciķ Joan Miro, and we whisked past a long line of students to see the “art.” I will have to admit that except for relatively few pieces, nothing in this museum interested me.
My traveling companions were even less kind.

Tracy turned to me and exclaimed, “Finally…there’s the best piece of modern art I have ever seen.”

“Cool,” I replied. “What is it?”

Both Tracy and Kim responded simultaneously, “The Exit Sign.”