Search

Russia-Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russia-Safe?

Thank you in advance for indulging me here as I'm sure this question has been asked many times already. For those who've traveled, how safe is Russia, especially for a solo, gay male traveler (who would keep an invisible profile in that regard)? I was (and still am) leaning towards Eastern Europe for next spring's vacation but the flights are hugely expensive. Russia was on my radar for 2021 but maybe I move it up? My rough itinerary would be something like 5 nights in Moscow, 6 nights in St. Petersburg and maybe a night or two in either Suzdal or that place on the other side of the big lake east of St. Petersburg that has the big wooden onion dome buildings.

Thanks for your input!

MB
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 10:32 AM

It's fine, no problem. Your rough itinerary is fine too, you could consider Novgorod as well.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 11:06 AM

Russia is as safe as ever. Being gay is no problem as long as you're discreet.

"I was (and still am) leaning towards Eastern Europe for next spring's vacation but the flights are hugely expensive."

Where are you flying from? Russia is in Eastern Europe as well and flights are hardly cheaper than to other Eastern European countries. Flights are actually quite affordable from Western/Central Europe on low cost airlines like Pobeda.

" that place on the other side of the big lake east of St. Petersburg that has the big wooden onion dome buildings"

Kizhi Pogost on Lake Onega, near Petrozavodsk.

You have plenty of time to learn a bit of Russian, it'll make your life much easier there.