Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Iceland.... here we go! Oh and Norway!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after months and months of planning and research, today is the day. We depart Brisbane tonight, short stop over in Dubai , where will will meet up with our travelling buddies... they’ll arrive from Melbourne. Then onto Copenhagen for a couple of days before arriving in Iceland Sunday afternoon. We’ve booked one night at the Silica hotel, Blue Lagoon and then 10 nights to explore the ring road, in 2 RV’s. I will try to update this TR as we go as I find if I do it that way it doubles as my journal.

We we will then go to Norway for two weeks.

Im aware there aren’t many subscribers to the Iceland page, so I’ll try to be as helpful as I can.

Lets go.....
Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:13 PM

We have been to all three in the last 2 years, Copenhagen two weeks ago.

if you are able, hire bikes - it’s a great cycling city.

Also so be very careful about hiring a car to go across the bridge - it’s e45 each way. The train into Malmo is very efficient but you probably will be limited for time.

Again in if you are able, book a glacier walking trip in Iceland, there are some of the most a accessible glaciers in the world and it is a memorable trip.

Where are you going in Norway?
We went to the Blue Lagoon at night and it was magical, very corporate but still well worth the trip.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for the great suggestions. Dh and I will be back in Copenhagen at the end of the trip for three days, so we will definitely get some bikes. A few restaurants booked so may need to do some exercise ��

we have a snowmobile tour and a zodiac tour booked both around glaciers in Iceland.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:03 AM

Looking forward to reading about your trip! We went to Iceland on the way to Copenhagen to visit our son there, and then the 3 of us went to Norway. We were there in the fall and thoroughly enjoyed it! Our daughter is headed back to Iceland this summer and is doing the Blue Lagoon again.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:00 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's wishing you a great trip aussiedreamer, and hoping for a detailed report upon your return.
Old May 31st, 2019, 02:59 PM

Hope you're enjoying the trip.

We returned from our 8 days in Iceland on Monday. As soon as I am reasonably caught up with responsibilities, I will post a trip report, but you'll probably be back by then.

A couple of quick thoughts:
I'd suggest a stop at Fjallsarlon if it isn't on your list already. We thought the ice at Jokulsarlon was beautiful, but visibility was poor. We found Fjallsarlon charming.
A cold vigil to the east of the lower parking lot at Dyrholaey around 5:30 pm rewarded us with multiple puffins flying in/out/over, coming out/going in burrows, etc. Binoculars were necessary to really appreciate.