Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland.... Any Advice/Routes??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to spend about 2-3 weeks in Northern Europe... Its easy to find good tips and routes for central Europe... Norway, Finland, Iceland, etc is more difficult. Please let me know any good places/Need to sees!
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 08:19 AM

I've written a trip report on our travels in Norway and one on Stockholm that might interest you; click on my name to find them.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 09:55 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...uHk6iIgbSEgAE#

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Stockholm#

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Finland#

Watkins...No tripreports and I have nothing on Iceland, but these may help in familiarizing yourself with suggested sites to see. Bring money!
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 09:56 AM

Any reason to ignore Denmark - which IMHO has the most to see except for Sweden?
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 10:10 AM

the first part of my Swiss blog is about our 2 days in Iceland last May, and has some pictures. perhaps it will help a bit:
http://switzerlandbytrain.blogspot.c...d-capitol.html

So what to see in Iceland really depends how long you want to spend there, and how you want to get around. Driving seemed pretty easy, but car rentals are pricy. Then again, tours can get pricy too. I highly recommend seeing the sights on the Golden Circle tour...the waterfall, and the geyser are particularly good.

do a search for Iceland daytrips. While you may not actually take a tour, looking at their itineraries and pictures will give you some good ideas about what you might want to see.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM

The Norway in a Nutshell individual tour near Bergen - a boat ride along Norway's largest and one of its most lovely fjords - Bergen itself is neat

The Bergen to Oslo railway is ubiquitously listed amongst the top ten scenic rail lines in Europe.

Copenhagen and Stockholm are two really nice interesting cities

The ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki is a gorgeous ride

Those are some highlights - trains are great in Scandinavia and if doing a rail trip check out the ScanRail Pass (which also gets you discounts on many chain hotels) and these informative sites: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Any reason to ignore Denmark - which IMHO has the most to see except for Sweden?>

To me Copenhagen is the most fascinating city in Scandinavia, followed by Stockholm. You could base in Copenhagen and do a plethora of nice easy day trips, including into Sweden just across The Sound.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Stockholm has plenty to keep you busy (although the National Museum will be closed for quite some time during a renovation). The Vasa museum was a treat as was strolling through Gamla Stan. As with many European cities there are "free" tours where you only tip the guide for good service. The Stockholm version of this tour was terrific. From Stockholm we took the ferry to Tallinn before heading over to Helsinki. PalenQ is right on with the "gorgeous" description and the ferry is more akin to a cruise ship than a standard passenger ferry (which is the best way over to Helsinki from Tallinn).
Helsinki was charming and a half day at the Atheneum was time well spent. As with Stockholm the city has many harbor/island excursions which we were happy to experience.
We also think Bergen is worthy of a visit. We used it as a base for the day long Norway in a Nutshell fjord (Songefjord) tour - train to Flam via Myrdal and then a 5 hour boat tour through the fjord. One of the best vacation days I've ever had.
Can't help with Iceland or Copenhagen.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM

As Tower says bring money and lots of it.
Decide what you hope to see, cities, country, hiking, far north. How you want to get around, plane, boat, train, car. Where you are going to sleep, hotel, hostel, holiday rental.
All that will affect your budget and remember these are seriously expensive countries to visit.
How long you actually have will affect how many countries you can see. You could easily spend two weeks in any one of them.
Each country has a tourist board website to get you started, and look in your library for guidebooks to help you decide what it is you want to see (or buy the books).
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 04:37 PM
kja

I second hetismij2's recommendation to look at some good guidebooks -- you'll learn things you never even knew to ask! It's a beautiful part of the world -- enjoy!
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 11:35 PM

For some pre-trip reading could I suggest Michael Booth's "Almost Nearly Perfect People". Booth is a British journalist living in Denmark with his Danish wife. He discusses the five Nordic countries- you will have some history, some geography, & much discussion on the traits of the five nations. The author's style is a little too jokey at times, but many of his observations are spot-on. We recently spent 4 weeks in Denmark, Sweden & Norway & I would also question why you may not visit Denmark? It is well worth it, particularly Copenhagen. And if you spend time in Norway, Bergen is well worth the visit. Happy travels.
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 06:38 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=norw...=1600&bih=1075

Don't miss the Norway in a Nutshell extravaganza - one of the most fascinating things I've done in decades of European travel.
Old Sep 26th, 2014, 06:45 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Denmark#

Sorry to have skipped right by Denmark...I agree with those who love it.
Old Sep 27th, 2014, 05:20 AM

Copenhagen and Denmark to me are the most interesting places in Scandinavia and cheaper than the other countries.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 04:22 AM

When are you travelling? It makes a big difference as to recommendations if you´re coming in the height of winter..

Anyway..Summer or Winter, if you find yourself in Iceland the one place you have to visit is Landmannalaugar. It is simply the most beautiful place in Iceland. Think pastel coloured mountains, lava formations, glacial streams and natural hot pots to bathe in.
It is not that far from Reykjavik but you will need a 4WD. We went with a tour company and had an amazing time. We did a superjeep tour, but you could get the bus which is cheaper.

We used www.landmannalaugartours.com and they were excellent.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 12:18 PM

Winter in Iceland - how grim - darkness all the time, wet all the time... summer is great!