Reload this Page >

We Still Didn’t Drink All The Vino: Mai Tai Tom’s 2018 Return To Italy

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/chapter-one-a-brief-stop-in-london/
Link above takes you to full report with photos.

CHAPTER ONE: A BRIEF STOP IN LONDON

DAY ONE - Don’t Sleep In The Subway, It Pays To Be Early, Let’s Call It A Donation, Ceiling Fans, France in England, Sunday Roastie. Pick A Card, Cool Garden, Don’t Sleep In The Subway (Part Two) Go Tiger and The Perfect Hotel For Our First Night

After a 13 year hiatus, it was finally time for Tracy, Kim, Mary and me to return to the country where we made so many driving errors in 2005 that Italian car rental companies still have posters of us up on their office walls. Our three-week journey took us (after a quick stop in London) to Milan, Bologna, Padova, Ravenna, Piemente wine country, Torino and Orta San Giulio, and although we navigated the country with relative ease, another of our rental cars sadly met an early demise. We dropped into so many churches along the way that Mary now has “Withered Finger Syndrome” from all that hand dipping into holy water.

I am pleading with Tracy for us to move to Piemente. I will give up all my worldly possessions for another bottle of Barbera or Barolo while staying at perhaps my favorite b&b and admiring the lush countryside (including catching a rare glimpse of the snow-capped Alps) from our terrace patio in La Morra. I am still suffering from white truffle pasta withdrawal.

For those who think Milan doesn’t have much to offer when it comes to sights, I’ll refute those claims.

I believe I could dine at a different restaurant in Bologna for 365 consecutive nights without encountering a bad meal.

From fascinating frescoes in Padova to marvelous mosaics in Ravenna …

… to an incredible movie museum in Torino …

… to a lakeside wine and cheese picnic at our spectacular b&b in Orta San Giulio, this trip had it all.

Speaking of lodging, we would highly recommend all the places we stayed (sans the last hotel at Linate Airport that we booked merely for convenience at the end). A couple of them (in La Morra and Orta San Giulio) were magical, while the others (including an Air BnB in Bologna) offered a home away from home complete with gracious hosts.

Although the crew threatened mutiny (or in Tracy’s case, divorce) at various junctures along the way (I can be a tough and evil taskmaster), we kept it together as we walked … and walked … and walked (seemingly only uphill) in every town we visited. The steep streets and alleyways of Monforte d’Alba nearly did me in as did the stairs of the Basilica di Superga outside Torino.

If only I had the dexterity and stamina of a white truffle hunting dog … or Mary, who put us all to shame.

Kim’s new camera took some unbelievable shots (well, he helped), while Tracy’s eye (her photographer’s eye … she’s not a Cyclops) make her iPhone photos great, too. Every once in a while I got lucky with a cool photo or two).

We all survived (some better than others) our daily climbs and long walks to consume more pasta and drink more vino, but once again we left enough for the rest of you (although there might be a Barbera shortage) planning to visit wonderful Italia.

Last edited by maitaitom; Nov 6th, 2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh... a Maitaitom trip report! I'm in.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 11:21 AM

Me too, me too. TIA, Tom.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Yay!!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:19 PM

Can’t wait to follow along!
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:28 PM
twk

Always enjoy your reports.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM

I've been looking forward to this. Loving it!

The T5 Sofitel gets high praise on the BA forum on Flyer Talk due to its convenient location. What did you think of it?

Last edited by Trophywife007; Nov 6th, 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

"The T5 Sofitel gets high praise on the BA forum on Flyer Talk due to its convenient location. What did you think of it?"

We thought it was terrific. especially because we had an early flight the next day to Milan. You want to get a good night's sleep the first night. and the bed was exceptional. Just a short walk back to the terminal. I'd highly recommend if you haver an early flight out of Heathrow's T5. Speaking of sleep, Tracy was not happy with me today when she saw I put in the photo of us sleeping on the subway. I tried to blame Kim for sending it to me, but, of course, that fell on deaf ears

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Love your reports! You should be a travel writer! How many nights did you stay in each location?
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

" How many nights did you stay in each location?"

Thanks Karen
My website (and years as a writer/publisher) finally paid dividends in Milan. Better late than never

3 Nights Milan
5 Nights Bologna
4 Nights La Morra (Piemente)
3 Nights Torino
2 Nights Orta San Giulio

I believe Piemente is my new "favorite place on earth!"

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 04:49 PM

Happy to see you back MTT. I'll be waiting to read it all!
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 10:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to see you have started your report.
We were pleasantly surprised by Milan, too, ...very interested in the rest of your journey. Great photos.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pulled a cork, poured a glass and settled down
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 01:51 AM

Thanks for this, MT! Your report is delicious and I'm savoring it! Would love the names or links to your accommodations - you're tempting me to make a visit to these regions!
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 02:39 AM

And away we go! Wonderful diversion from watching election night!
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 04:23 AM

Woohoo! A maitaitom trip report! I'm along for the glorious ride!
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 05:01 AM

Piemonte, Torino, Padova, Bologna, Ravenna . . . looking forward to your recommendations for some of my favorite places.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
" How many nights did you stay in each location?"

Thanks Karen
My website (and years as a writer/publisher) finally paid dividends in Milan. Better late than never

3 Nights Milan
5 Nights Bologna
4 Nights La Morra (Piemente)
3 Nights Torino
2 Nights Orta San Giulio

I believe Piemente is my new "favorite place on earth!"

I would love to visit this part of Italy in a few years. I like the way you planned your itinerary. You seem to have a good amount of nights in each place. One-night stays are too hectic for me. 3, 4, and 5 nights are ideal.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 09:20 AM

It’s Piemonte, Tom, not Piemente. But I’m on the same page with you - love Piemonte!
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Cannot WAIT to read this, Tom!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -