Search

Singapore Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Singapore Help

Dear Fodorites,

As wonderfully good fortune has it, we will find ourselves in Singapore in March 2018. I confess that I have not done much research yet, but I would like some advice and suggestions from those who have visited as I tackle this holiday planning. Our focus is mostly on daytime activities, not at all on nightlife.

1. How many full days did you find you needed to experience Singapore? We are coming from Europe and will have a 6-hour time change to factor into the equation. I am thinking 3?
2. On one of the evenings we will need a driver to the Singapore American School and return. Can anyone recommend a service?
3. *Should* we add days to visit Kuala Lumpur (perhaps open jaw)? Would KL feel too similar?
And finally, for now,
4. Any firsthand recommendations for private food tours in Singapore?

In advance, thank you.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. I've been going there regularly since the late 90s and am on my way back there soon. For me I like to have 5 nights minimum, at one time, although I have had as many as 14 nights. I fly from Los Angeles, but Singapore is part of my extended vacation in the region, so I'm usually in and out of Singapore 3 times on each vacation.

2. Taxi

3. I find (Georgetown) Penang better than KL although I've been in KL quite a bit.
But, I like Malaysia no matter what and do both Malaysia and Singapore on the
same vacation. KL is both similar to and different from Singapore culture wise.

4. Don't know of private food tours, but there's a lot of eating in Singapore.

Below are some things to do in Singapore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYFe2-hqA2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIpgelJZb8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9R118srNAo

Mark has really good food info. If you go on his website, there's a lot of food information. I am signed up on his website and get extra food information on destinations in the region. He's American, married to a Thai, and lives in Bangkok and travels the region a lot.

Happy Travels!
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 02:04 PM

For #2, I meant to post taxi, MRT, bus or a combination of them. If you can get most of the way there by MRT, then you can transfer to a taxi or maybe to a bus.

Happy Travels!
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 03:46 PM

I had 4 nights - 3 full days - in Singapore during my first and only visit, and found it to give me enough of an overview of the city-state. I would not have trouble finding things to do if I had additional nights.

On places you could combine with Singapore, I would personally aim for Bangkok, Java, or Bali, depending on your interests.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 05:12 AM

We spent 5 days before our cruise and one half day after and had plenty to do and missed some things so give yourself more time if you can.

As for KL I can’t say as I don’t know how much time you have. I haven’t been there yet but from what I’ve read 3 days there would be good.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 06:18 AM

I've spent roughly a month this year at Singapore on business trips, and have to say that you will not get bored easily there.
There's fairly lot on all tastes at Singapore, from anything starting from exaggerated gambling, to museums, haggling streets, food corners, food stalls, fancy restaurants, cousy restaurants, all the way to little peace of sand you can find at Sentosa.

You can experience Singapore in 2 days, you will find new things after 2 weeks. Don't worry about missing something, you anyway will miss somethings.
If you want to see one of the worlds most greenest cities coming to life, head out to TreeTop Walk, or the Singapore Zoo, both fairly center of the city map. Sentosa is also nice place to visit for some sun bathing time and few attractions there's to see. And for proper ingress, use the zip-line leaving from the mainland and ending at Sentosa (use metro and leave at HarbourFront station for this) If you want to see nightlife gone crazy, head out to Orchard street. No words needed, just go.

You can get anywhere with MRT and Taxi combinations really easy. For easy taxi orders you need local phone number, or use app named "GRAB". Worked for me without local number. It's really similiar to "Uber" to use.

Never been at KL, but still, yes you should

Haven't tried any personal food tours, but you can find excellent food almost anywhere in Singapore, just wait and see!

All the best for your trip.
-Jon
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Test
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 11:10 AM

As for food the food courts there are plentiful, inexpensive, clean and have variety. In addition earlier this yr. two of them were awarded Michelin stars, a first for food court restaurants.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 03:40 PM

Little India best bet in S'pore for walking, looking, photoshooting, buying and certainly eating.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM
kja

I spent 4.5 very busy days -- you might want to consult my trip report.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Good idea. It was a great TR too!
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 10:38 PM
kja

@ jacketwatch: Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
fourfortravel, check out this recent thread:
https://www.fodors.com/community/asi...-singapore.cfm

For your question #3 my vote would be no for KL, being just another big city. Perhaps consider Malacca or Cameron Highlands for something different?
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, thank you, everyone for the insightful input! Guenmai, advice from a frequent visitor is priceless. kja, I appreciate your linking to your trip, which I have read and annotated; and now it appears there is a new thread to follow from above.

And, my apologies for not responding in a more timely manner. As no good deed ever goes unpunished, when I shared the exciting news of our Singapore travels on my social media, friends living in Seoul, Tokyo, and even Vladivostok asked if we could "drop by!" My husband does not have the time to spare, but I have, and have been drowning myself with travel algorithms to see whether I can extend this trip without extending our pocketbook!

At this moment in time we *think* we will give ourselves 4 full days in Singapore, not counting flying days (15 hours with layovers), whether or not I continue on. I have my homework cut out for me!
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 09:51 AM

You're welcome. And good for you as you're on the right track with planning and having a wonderful trip. Smiles.

Happy Travels!