Search

2 Days in Singapore Aug 24-25, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days in Singapore Aug 24-25, 2018

2 Days in Singapore Aug 23-24, 2018
We will be in Singapore Aug 23rd and 24th. This is an unexpected route change. Reaching SIN 23rd early morning, flying out on 25th morning.
Staying in Village Hotel Changi, close to SIN airport.
We are thinking of hopping on/off bus for sightseeing. Is this doable? Or do we need to go with tour guide? Saw some sightseeing options on Expedia website. Not reserved anything yet.
Interest list: Gardens of the Bay, Little India, Botanical Gardens, Night Safari, Jurong Bird Park, Orchard Road.
Any recommendations to make the best use of 2 days in Singapore is appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by MJJoe; Aug 20th, 2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Wrong dates
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:52 AM

* I don't know why you're staying near the airport instead of centrally in the city even though it's only for 2 nights. It's very easy to get to the airport even if one stays somewhere central as one only needs to jump into a taxi to Changi Airport which is one of the best in the world and very orderly and easy to move through.

* Since you mention that you're arriving into Singapore very early in the morning, check-in times are usually 3PM at hotels. I'm just wondering if you have booked your room for an arrival the date before your actual arrival date so that you can access your room right away and not wait until 3PM.

* On my next trip in the winter, I will need to stay in a hotel near the airport for some hours, only because Singapore Air just up and changed my flight to arrive at approximately 3:35AM instead of the usual 9:40PM-ish arrival time, technically the night before. I need to fly on to Bangkok on the same day now. Originally, with the 9:40PM arrival time, I had booked into one of my regular hotels on Orchard Blvd near Orchard Road, but recently had to change that to stay near the airport as now I'll only have time to sleep some hours, eat, and then check out of the hotel at 12 noon and fly on to Bangkok.

*When I return to Singapore some weeks later, I'm back in my hotel(s) in the central city location even on one of my stopovers when I'll be in Singapore only one night before flying on to Indonesia and when I return to Singapore, from Indonesia, I'll then have my 9 nights straight in Singapore before flying home to L.A. Singapore is part of my annual 6-week vacation in the region of 3-4 countries and I stay the most, consecutive nights there at the end of my 6 weeks.

*Singapore has the Hop-On Hop-Off bus system that you can use to sightsee. There's also Jane's Tours if you want something more specialized. I haven't taken her tours yet, but I've been on her mailing list for a couple years. I hope to one day take one, but I'm usually in Singapore during a very holiday-season period and not a lot of her tours are available to coincide with when I'm there.

* You don't need to join a tour to do Singapore. I've been vacationing there for 19 years and have personally never joined a generic, organized tour of Singapore. I just jot down where I want to go and get out my MRT(subway) map and get there either by using the MRT, a taxi, a bus or a combination. Singapore isn't that big. The whole country is half the size of Los Angeles County and the inner section of Singapore is quite small.

https://janestours.sg

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Aug 21st, 2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 02:21 AM

I've just been taking part in a Singapore thread on another Forum...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5882392

You might be able to pick something from it.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 05:00 PM

Can you change your hotel reservation without losing a lot of money? I'd definitely choose to stay "in the city" rather than at the airport.

No way do you need a Hop on Hop Off Bus to see Singapore.nor do you need a guide. You can visit everything on your wish-list either via he subway system or using taxis. Everyone in Singapore speaks English. Do NOT reserve a tour on Expedia - a complete waste of money.

Singapore is perhaps the easiest city to get around in the world - ok, I haven't visited them all, but it is certainly the easiest city I've visited.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 06:57 PM
kja

I agree that it would be worth considering finding a hotel in the city, even if it costs you a bit (look up "sunk costs") and that no tour guide is necessary unless that's your preference.

I think you've identified some wonderful options for your time in Singapore, but must admit that I would be very surprised if you are able to fit them into just 2 days -- I think you'll need to be a bit more selective.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in this trip report; Singapore is near the start of the trip I describe.
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Noted down your suggestions.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:12 AM

As for the Hop On/Hop Off bus, no it's not a necessity, but if you want to do it for part of your time there, then it's not bad. There are plenty of positive reviews.

I have actually been on that bus. A couple of years ago, after around 17 years of going to Singapore regularly without ever having used it, I decided to try it out out of curiosity. Plus, I had just arrived into Singapore, from Malaysia and on Singapore Air, and still had my boarding pass stub which qualified me for a really cheap fare for the Hop On/ Hop Off bus. When I boarded the bus, I just showed the driver my plane-ticket stub. So, I went for it and it wasn't bad. Plus, that day I was tired and wanted to just sit and ride and see some things.

There are several routes and I can't remember which one I was on but while on it I didn't personally get off at any of the stops. I just took it to see what I'd see along the way and saw some things that I hadn't seen previously and thus jotted them down and then went back to explore them later. So, it is an option that I wouldn't just write off and if one is out and about during rush hour when it can be very difficult to get a taxi or when there are tons of folks on the MRT, then the Hop On/ Hop Off bus isn't bad as one can just sit back and peacefully ride.

Plus, if one wants to take photos or do video shots of Singapore, it's easier from the Hop On/Hop Off bus than from a taxi and of course not possible while underground on the MRT (subway). So, I'm looking at this through the eyes of someone who is going to have his/her first trip to Singapore.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:44 PM

So nice to hear you'll be going to Singapore - it's one of my favourite cities in Asia!

We were actually there for 2 days as well last year. I would definitely recommend visiting one of the only Michelin starred hawker stalls in the world, Hawker Chan. You can get a full meal there for 6 EUR per person. The food is really good and the price is even better

The other options you refer to above look great too. Although we did not visit it ourselves at the time, we heard the Flower Dome of the Gardens by the Bay is also really worthwhile. Have fun!

Best,
Kim
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 03:07 PM

I would not return to S'pore and not visit Little India. A great way to spend half a day; walking, eating, shopping for weird/local trinkets, the incense, the Hindu temples, the fresh fruit vendors. Frankly, i abhor places like Orchard Road. Use the subway to get around and if you can figure out the bus routes, they too are reasonable.
Meter taxis and Grab taxi in force for S'pore.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

We just left Singapore after an awesome 2 days visit. We took MRT.. Visited Gardens by the Bay, Marina Sands Bay, Little India, Jurong Bird Park, VivoCity and Sentosa Island.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 06:20 PM
kja

Glad you enjoyed it!
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Singapore visit report

Our Singapore visit report:
Day 1:
Arrived SIN airport by 9 am. Bought a SIM card, $12 which included 100GB data. Exchanged money for Singapore dollars. Exchange rates are better in SIN airport. Then we ate breakfast at the airport. Went to the hotel shuttle area to the end of ground transportation
Picked up by Village Hotel Changi shuttle bus to Changi. Nice hotel and staff. Usual check in time is 3 pm. But they allowed us to check in early.
Refreshed and went out to explore. Took bus 29 from Changi (bus stop near our hotel) to Tampines Interchange station, 15 mins ride, paid $2/person.
Bought EZ link card at the MRT station for $12. Card cost $5, $7 left on card to use. Topped it once at an MRT station, $10 (minimum). EZ card can be used for MRT/bus, tap in/out at entry/exit. Most rides cost only less than $1 or $2. Cheap but efficient way to get around. We loved it!
Took Blue line MRT to visit Gardens by the Bay, Marina Sands Bay and Little India. Ate Indian dinner in Little India. Took some $ from ATM at MRT bus station and reached back to hotel in Changi by 10:30 pm.

Day 2:
Jurong Bird Park visit:
Took MRT Green Line. Then realized that green line (East-West) is very slow. Blue & Orange lines are fast.
Got out at Boon Lay, then took Bus 194 to Jurong Bird Park. It cost less than a dollar for bus and less than $2 for metro. Really enjoyed Bird Park and live bird shows in their Amphitheater. From there, took bus 194 to reach Boon Lay MRT station.

Sentosa Island visit:
From Boon Lay MRT, we took fast lines (Orange/Blue) and avoided green line as much as possible. Reached HarborFront in VivoCity. Plenty of shopping areas in VivoCity.

To go to Sentosa Island, there are 3 options: Monorail, Cable Car or walking on the boardwalk. We decided to walk on the boardwalk and took beautiful pics all the way. Explored Sentosa Island until night. Reached back to Changi and ate late night dinner near our hotel. There are many local food areas in Changi. Enjoyed cheap village food!

Day 3:
Hotel arranged a taxi at 5:45 am to go to airport to catch our flight at 8:10 am. Taxi charge was $17 which included extra cost for early morning ride. We still have about $4 left in each of our EZ link card which can be used in the next 2 years. An incentive to revisit, LOL 😂
We really enjoyed and hope to revisit sometime soon to explore more of Singapore 🇸🇬
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by MJJoe
Our Singapore visit report:
Day 1:
Arrived SIN airport by 9 am. Bought a SIM card, $12 which included 100GB data. Exchanged money for Singapore dollars. Exchange rates are better in SIN airport. Then we ate breakfast at the airport. Went to the hotel shuttle area to the end of ground transportation
Picked up by Village Hotel Changi shuttle bus to Changi. Nice hotel and staff. Usual check in time is 3 pm. But they allowed us to check in early.
Refreshed and went out to explore. Took bus 29 from Changi (bus stop near our hotel) to Tampines Interchange station, 15 mins ride, paid $2/person.
Bought EZ link card at the MRT station for $12. Card cost $5, $7 left on card to use. Topped it once at an MRT station, $10 (minimum). EZ card can be used for MRT/bus, tap in/out at entry/exit. Most rides cost only less than $1 or $2. Cheap but efficient way to get around. We loved it!
Took Blue line MRT to visit Gardens by the Bay, Marina Sands Bay and Little India. Ate Indian dinner in Little India. Took some $ from ATM at MRT bus station and reached back to hotel in Changi by 10:30 pm.

Day 2:
Jurong Bird Park visit:
Took MRT Green Line. Then realized that green line (East-West) is very slow. Blue & Orange lines are fast.
Got out at Boon Lay, then took Bus 194 to Jurong Bird Park. It cost less than a dollar for bus and less than $2 for metro. Really enjoyed Bird Park and live bird shows in their Amphitheater. From there, took bus 194 to reach Boon Lay MRT station.

Sentosa Island visit:
From Boon Lay MRT, we took fast lines (Orange/Blue) and avoided green line as much as possible. Reached HarborFront in VivoCity. Plenty of shopping areas in VivoCity.

To go to Sentosa Island, there are 3 options: Monorail, Cable Car or walking on the boardwalk. We decided to walk on the boardwalk and took beautiful pics all the way. Explored Sentosa Island until night. Reached back to Changi and ate late night dinner near our hotel. There are many local food areas in Changi. Enjoyed cheap village food!

Day 3:
Hotel arranged a taxi at 5:45 am to go to airport to catch our flight at 8:10 am. Taxi charge was $17 which included extra cost for early morning ride. We still have about $4 left in each of our EZ link card which can be used in the next 2 years. An incentive to revisit, LOL 😂
We really enjoyed and hope to revisit sometime soon to explore more of Singapore 🇸🇬

Glad that you had a wonderful time in Singapore and hope that one day you get a return visit.

Happy Travels!