Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Purchase Train Ticket Madrid to Toledo Ahead?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Spain, arriving next September 23. We plan to head to Toledo as soon as we arrive at MAD at 8:35. I would like to purchase our train tickets once we get to Atocha, given that we will not know exactly when we will arrive. However, I read on another forum about someone who arrived in Madrid at 9:30 am and could not get a train ticket to Toledo until 6 pm.

It looks like there are tons of trains to Toledo, are we okay to wait to purchase tickets on arrival, or do many of the trains sell out?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Hard to believe all those zillions of trains to Toledo would be booked all day - even in first class?

You may also want to investigate airport transfers right to Toledo.

For lots on Spanish trains check www.seat61.com.

You could purchase a discounted ticket now and leave plenty of fudge factor time to get to Atocha and if you miss it you will not be out that much.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Usually the early morning and late afternoon trains between Madrid and Toledo are busy during the week. It's a commuter line. People also like to go to Toledo for lunch or dinner depending on the day of the week.

23 September is a Saturday, so expect the trains to Toledo to be busy with the weekend crowd, but you should purchase your tickets for late morning, allowing yourself at least 2 hours from your scheduled arrival time. Depending on where you are sitting on the plane and the number of flights arriving that morning, it can take you 40 minutes or more to get off the plane and make it through passport control.

The quickest way to get to Atocha station is by taxi. It's a fixed rate, but you will have to pay the rail station suppliment unless you have the taxi drop you off at the Reina Sofia, or close by, and walk the rest of the way.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Robert--it sounds like you are suggesting we buy our tickets before we leave for Madrid?

I know we need to pad extra time in in case our flight is late, etc, but I hate waiting around when we could have taken an earlier train. Would it be better to take a bus to Toledo?
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I should have been more clear--buy our tickets before we FLY to Madrid?
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:38 PM

The ticket is only 12.50 euros...no big deal whatever you decide.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:58 PM

Yes, purchase them at least a couple of weeks before you leave for Madrid, and give yourself enough time. We've never made it from landing at Barajas to Atocha station in under 90 minutes, and that's only because we are usually one of the first off the plane, and take a taxi.

Remember, you have to be at the station, and through security, 20 minutes before departure, when they announce the track.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:00 PM

You are looking for yes/no answer to a probabilistic event. I have taken one of those morning train to Toledo with a reservation I made a week ahead. All that morning trains on that morning to Toledo were sold out. This just means that was the care on that morning. Everyone has a different story. Whether you take an aggressive or a conservative approach depends on how critical for you to be on a specific train. If you can tolerate down side, you can also have a chance for an upside. This is a nature of the uncertainty. Usually only those who can define the rule of the game can have upside without accompanying downsides. Plebians are not usually endowed with such environment.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:32 PM

Is it possible to get a bus from Madrid Airport to Toledo? Does it require a change in Madrid - or can I go direct?
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Margo--from what I've read, you need to take a bus to Madrid and then another bus to Toledo.

Greg--just wanted to know if the many trains to Toledo are often sold out. I understand there is no definite answer. I was quite surprised to read on another forum that someone could not get a train for the entire day given that the trains are so frequent. Just wanted to make sure that was an accurate account. Thanks though for your philosophizing.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 06:19 AM

The morning trains are often sold out ...(day trippers ).
In Toledo, the local bus takes you from the station to the center of town ( short ride).

... the bus station in Madrid ( for Toled) is not in a convenient location.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 09:58 AM

Are there no regional or cerncias (?)suburban trains still serving Toledo- or buses from Madrid in the worst scenario?
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Danon! Your reply was very helpful.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 02:39 PM

PQ
Cercania does not service Toledo.
There is a bus to Toledo ( 1-1/2 hour) , but the bus stop in Madrid is not in the center.
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 10:05 AM

I took the bus to/from Toledo from Madrid and I thought the bus station was convenient enough, it's right at a metro stop, after all. Madrid isn't that large, it was at a southern metro stop. So not so bad if you are in the city, but a lot farther than the train station if you are coming from the airport. The bus station in Toledo is closer to the town than the rail station. The bus only takes about 50-60 minutes, at least the ones without a lot of stops. They have them about every 30-60 minutes, all day long. Many buses do NOT take 1.5 hrs, only some do.

ALSA is the bus company, I think they have about 50 buses a day to Toledo from Madrid. The bus station is at Plaza Elliptica metro station. The bus is a little cheaper than the train, also, but that isn't so important given fares are so low anyway. the bus is about 5 euro one-way, I think. Well, this is their website, you can check if you are interested, you sure have plenty of time to plan.
https://www.alsa.es/en

YOu can get from the airport to Plaza Elliptica by metro, actually, just take line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios in the city, then you can transfer to line 6 which goes to Plaza Elliptica. Or you could take the airport bus to the O'Donnell stop which is also on line 6, then go to metro to Plaza Elliptica (which will take about 20 minutes from O'DOnnell).

I'd prefer the train, also, as it is closer to the airport, but these are the options. I'd rather take the bus than sit around Atocha for 8 hrs as the bus trip itself is about the same time as the train trip.
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 11:25 AM

Buses never fill up either IME in Spain - they usually put more on if needed and with 50 buses a day... sounds like a good way to go - no planning just show up and cheaper than the train probably.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina and PalenQ. I appreciate the information!
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 07:50 AM

Awesome spain is very beautiful place very clean so happy journey and if you go with train then you have seen more beautiful spain then other vehicle.>

IME this is NOT true - cars can take you thru small villages and rugged terrain avoided by trains.

I prefer trains if going between cities in one fell swoop but cars are nicer if I have loads of time.

Trains are great and faster than cars. But each has their own pluses and minuses.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I love to travel in Europe by train, but we will be using a car to explore the White Towns.