Ground Transportation from DCA to IAD - WASHINGTON DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking what is the best and cheapest way to travel from DCA to IAD on Friday 07/15. I will be flying in at 11 AM and was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to go there? Also how much is it and do they take cash on the rail/buses or do I need to buy a metrocard? I will also have luggage with me.

My flight then leaves on Monday, July 18th from DCA at 5:45 AM and was thinking of doing Super Shuttle unless someone has any better ideas or suggestions.

Any and all ideas, suggestions, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time. I apologize if I have a double post but my PC rebooted so wasn't sure if it went thru.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.flydulles.com/iad/parking-transportation

http://www.wmata.com/

http://metwashairports.com/dca/parking-transportation
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 02:43 AM
J62

Not sure I follow. On Fri 7/15 you want to go from DCA airport, to IAD airport. Then On Mon 7/18 you want to make the reverse trip. Do I get that right?
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 04:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've picked a bad week to do this cheaply at the front end of your trip. National Airport transportation is a goat rope b/c of metro rail repair closures between the airport and Pentagon City stations. You need to get to the Rosslyn metro station. It will take some time and patience. Don't consider it if you've a got connecting flight out of IAD.

There is a free shuttle bus running from the airport to Pentagon City metro station. Take a blue line train to Rosslyn. $2 and change using Smartrip card. Both the bus and the metro station are crowded mostly with confused people.

You can Uber or taxi directly to Rosslyn ($12-$20 ish)

From Rosslyn:

Option 1: WMATA Bus 5A to Dulles leaves from Rosslyn Metro Station. Cost is $7 cash (exact, no change) or Smartrip card. You might have to ask a Metro attendant where the 5A bus stop is -- it was temporarily moved when there was construction in the immediate area. The 5A isn't timely but it will arrive.

Option 2: Take a silver line Metro train to Wiehle-Reston ($2 and change, Smartrip card) and catch the Silver Line Express bus to Dulles. $5 cash or credit card. Doesn't take Smartrip card.

On the return trip, Supershuttle or Supreme is probably the cheaper option. I'm not a fan of shuttles for outgoing flights but your luck has probably been better than mine.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 10:11 AM

I suspect you really want cheapest, not best. These are very rarely the same things. Best would be just to walk out to the curb and get a taxi, no muss, no fuss, no special apps or waiting around needed.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 01:59 PM

I just researched this for my sister. The links above are the ones I used. If you take some sort of shuttle, please allow the minimum of 1 hour, 30 minutes between airports, more if you hit a rush hour. The traffic around here can be awful, if there is a wreck or weather, your travel time will increase. Good luck!
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Best would be just to walk out to the curb and get a taxi, no muss, no fuss, no special apps or waiting around needed."

But travel time entirely dependent on traffic. You might not wait for the taxi, but you could be waiting in a traffic jam. I always prefer train or metro in big cities, although you have to cope with the closures in DC right now.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 03:32 PM

The trip is already over.