Revised Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Phoenix Itinerary - comments appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all, especially Meyer and Utahtea, for helpful feedback on my last proposal.

What do you think of this one? The main difference from the previous itinerary is that the time in Phoenix is greatly reduced and, based on Meyer's experiences, I have built in time in the Page area.

Because we are locked into the Las Vegas-Phoenix arrival/departure schedule, I can’t see any way of avoiding at least part of the Memorial Day Weekend crush in Grand Canyon (May 23-26) without a lot of additional driving time, I am hopeful our planned arrival on May 25 (Sunday) might coincide with crowds thinning out the next day but… At any rate, so far this is the best I can come up with:

May 14 - fly into Las Vegas (arrive late at night)

May 15-17 - sightsee in Las Vegas, catch a couple of shows (Cirque du Soleil, probably)…we are not gamblers so would be looking for other things to do during the day

May 18 – pick up rental car, day trip from Las Vegas to Hoover Dam

May 19 - leave Las Vegas (early), drive to Zion National Park

May 19-20 – hiking and sightseeing around Zion

May 21 - leave Zion (early), drive to Bryce National Park

May 21-22 – hiking and sightseeing around Bryce National Park

May 23 – leave Bryce (early), drive to Page

May 23-24 – hiking and sightseeing around Page

May 25 – leave Page (mid-day), drive to Grand Canyon National Park

May 25-26-27 – hiking and sightseeing around Grand Canyon

May 28 – leave Grand Canyon (early), drive to Sedona area and sightsee/hike (or Pink Jeep tour)

May 29 - leave Sedona (early), drive to Phoenix, sightsee or go to a spa after all that hiking

May 30 - drop off rental car at airport, fly out of Phoenix (need to check in by 9 a.m.)

All the driving times seem to be about 3 hours according to the roadmap atlas I am using (which is supposedly current). Would you folk agree with this ? We really don’t want to spend much more time than this on the road in any one day.

Meyer and Utahtea, do you have any suggestions ? Meyer, I have found your detailed trip report invaluable. Many thanks for taking the time to creat it. The photos are also spectacular.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think you're leaving too much time in Page and not enough for Sedona.

Unless you're planning on going to lake Powell, as far as I'm concerned "the best dam view if less than 1/2 hour, Horseshoe Bend a little over an hour including walking to and from and 2 hours for Antelope Canyon.

Also, you want to do them all between 11AM and 2PM.

I don't think there's even any hiking in the area.

I didn't think much of the town of Sedona, but it sure has a setting.

Make sure you go to the Oak Creek crossing in the picnic area. get there an hour before sunset and stay until just after sunset.

There are very many very scenic hiking trails of Uptown and on route toward Oak Creek.

My favorite are Fay Canyon, the Boynton Canyon Vista and Devil's Bridge off Uptown and Broken Arrow (this is the one the Pink jeep also does), Bell Rock, etc.

I don't remember if the Narrows and/or Angel's Landing were part of your hikes. If they are, then I would leave Zion much later in the day of the 21st.

That would have you getting to Bryce in time for sunset on the 21st and the complete day of the 22nd to hike down navajo Loop/Queens Garden and see a few viewpoints.

get up early to see sunrise at Bryce Point.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM

After rereading what I wrote, all I can say is that I really can write in English. Not this time though.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myer, thanks for the fast response (!) - and my apologies for misspelling your screen name.

I'll adjust the itinerary in line with your advice. You really are a great citizen of Fodorland!

And, no, we are not planning on going to Lake Powell.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I think it was dayle who said there are several other sights in the Page area but i don't remember what. They're not the scenic highway type though. You've got to know what to look for.

But the 3 sights that I mentioned take about 3 1/3 hours and they're close to each other. i never even went into Page. I drove along the west side on Route 89 and then to Antelope canyon along the South side on Route 98.

Believe me. I got a lot of help here when planning my trips.

I'm just giving back my impressions of those same places.