Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LA to Zion to Bryce to GC to Sedona - how do I do this?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I was originally going to see only the GC and sedona, but then figured, since I'm in the area, might as well try to get in as much as possible.
Would like to see GC for sure, Zion and Bryce, and Sedona, with Lake Powell if there's time. We have 4 nights total. Will be driving from LA area

How do we do this?? What's the best route or order of places to see?

Also, is this doable? If not, what should I skip? Lake Powell? Sedona? Please need your help, never been to this area of no. ariz, so. utah, and would appreciate your insights especially UtahTea's!

We're looking to go in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

OK, so I post this message and no one replies... so I dug around for info elsewhere, and decided we're going to focus on no. ariz this time, and do a so. utah trip another time (this time no lake, no zion, no bryce..)

So here's our itinerary - I would appreciate any comments/suggestions:

day 1 - drive to so. rim gc, stay at el tovar...we hope to arrive at/before sunset and take in the anticipated lovely views.

day 2 - tour/hike gc (kaibab trail, rim trail, etc. ), then head to sedona. arrive at sunset. stay at l'auberge (per your recommendations)

day 3 - jeep tour sedona, drive around oak creek canyon, vortexes, etc.

day 4 - montezuma's castle and jerome

day 5 - head back to LA.

Planning to do waputaki (sp?) and sunset crater too, but not sure when we should do this - on the way to sedona from gc? or as a day trip from sedona?

Is there any other "activities" or sights not to be missed? please advise... I appreciate your help in advance.

we'll be leaving next week.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:07 PM

That's a doable itinerary (you couldn't have done Bryce/Zion and Lake Powell as well. Lake Powell would have been the first one to take off your list if you would have been in a hurry. Need to spend some time in or on the water to enjoy it).
Enchantment provides a more memorable experience than L'Auberge. You should drive back and see it regardless. Have a drink or lunch there.
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:01 PM

You really don't have enought time for Zion, Bryce and Lake Powell on this trip. You're smart to save it for another trip.

Your trip plan doesn't really give you much time at the Grand Canyon expecially if you plan on doing any hiking.

I would suggest:

Day 1 drive the almost 500 miles to the Grand Canyon. You better get up really early to get there by sunset which will be at 7:27 P. M. on May 20th. Plan on this taking you about 7 1/2 hrs of driving time.

Day 2 spend the day at the Grand Canyon doing your hikes and riding the shuttle bus to Hermits Rest and a spend a second night at the Grand Canyon.

Day 3 exit the Grand Canyon going east on Hwy 64 to Cameron and stoping at the many overlooks before you exit the park at Desert View. Take the Hwy 395 loop to Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater. (If you do this as a day trip from Sedona it's 150 miles and would take another 3 1/3 hours of driving and you're going to be doing enought driving as it is!) Go see Montezuma's Castle before you go to Sedona. This route is 200 miles and plan on at least 4 1/2 hrs of driving time. After you check-in in Sedona if you have time go see Jerome.

Day 4 jeep tour sedona, drive around oak creek canyon, vortexes, etc.

Day 5 drive back to L.A. If you want a short little detour of fun then take Historic Route 66 from Kingman through Oatman and back to I-40.

Utahtea

Old May 7th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!! We're very excited, and hope to have a great time

The driving times are about what we had anticipated - it is a lot, though we figure this is a road trip, and part of the fun is in the ride.

any other suggestions welcome, we're preparing for this trip and hope to have it all planned out within the next few days. Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:34 AM

If you are planning on visiting Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce this will cost you $60 in entrance fees. Might want to consider the National Parks Pass. Costs $50 good for calendar year, good at any national park or monument that charges an entrance fee. Good for you and anyone else in the car. Can get in advance at nps.gov or purchase at the first park you visit.
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Can't offer any practical advice, but this thread brought up some travel memories.

I visited the Grand Canyon from Orange Co, and my dad said, "There's an interesting ghost town named Jerome, that would be interesting to see."

So leaving the Grand Canyon, I took Alt 89 and traveled through Red Rock Canyon, and Sedona, the scenery through Sedona and Red Rock was stunning, just like the magazines.

I kept on Alt 89, and approached Jerome. As I got closer, it got steeper. In the middle of downtown Jerome, My truck felt like it was at a 45 degree angle. To make things worse, there some little old ladies in a Camry in front of me. I laid on the horn, it was one of those "ahh-oo-ga" horns!
Then right out of Jerome, you have to drive about 20 miles through mountain. Leave it to luck, there was a Ford Taurus putting along in front of me the whole way.
I was so burnt out by the time I hit the California border I stopped for a night in Blythe. The next morning I drove on to Orange Co.

What an experience! The drive through Alt 89 in Arizona is stunning if scary!
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:41 PM

go to the north rim
unless you like lots of crowds and noise