Revised GC/Bryce/Zion itinerary - please advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After coming to our senses and realizing we (family of 4 adults, ranging from 20’s to 60’s) had packed way too much into our last itinerary, we’ve decided to scale back and be less ambitious. We also have less time than we initially thought. Here is our latest itinerary:

Day 1 – Fly to Phoenix, drive to Sedona, Sleep in Sedona (1 night)
Day 2 – Sightsee some of Sedona, drive to Grand Canyon (south rim), Sleep at Grand Canyon (best western, 2 nights)
Day 3 – Sightsee/hike some of Grand Canyon, possibly helicopter tour
Day 4 – Drive to Page/Lake Powell, sightsee Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend, Sleep at Page/Lake Powell (1 night)
Day 5 – Drive to Bryce, try to see Willis Creek, sightsee/hike Bryce, Sleep at Bryce (2 nights)
Day 6 – Sightsee/hike Bryce
Day 7 – Drive to Zion, sightsee/hike Zion, Sleep at Zion (2 nights)
Day 8 – Sightsee/hike Zion
Day 9 – Drive to Vegas (1 night at Vegas)
Day 10 – Fly home (Miami)

How does that look? We realize we won’t get to see much of Sedona, but that’s ok. We’re really just using it to break up the driving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon after a long day of flying and want to focus more on the National Parks.

We’ve also decided to attempt to hike several of the easier trails in the parks to fully experience them. Other than hiking, what other activities are there to consider in or around the parks? Are there any interesting side-trips nearby (other than the ones listed) that we should consider?

Also, can anyone recommend places to stay in Sedona, Page/Lake Powell, Bryce, and Zion? I called for inside the park lodging, but all were booked. I’ll keep checking, but in the meantime would like to have alternative lodging booked just in case.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Looks good to me.

I can almost guarantee you will gasp outloud at your first sight of GC.
At GC might try and eat a meal at El Tovar. Hike a little along the rim and go below the rim on Bright Angel, or Kabab for a little way. Just get a park map and see what interest you along the rim drive.
Helicopter tour is worth it. Gives you a whole different perspective.

I would do Navajo/Queens Garden Loop in Bryce if at all possible.
You might consider doing a horse ride there if you don't want to hike.

In Zion, hike into the Narrows if at all possible. Have a picnic lunch.

I think a day in Vegas is plenty unless you like to loose money. Any of the Cirque shows are worth going to. Be sure and check out the volcano in front of Mirage and Fountains at Belagio. Paris is my favorite buffet. Tons of good places to eat in Vegas, but that is about all it is good for in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see if you end up with a favorite of these NP's.

If you get time at Lake Powell, you might work in a trip to Rainbow Bridge. This is like an Arch. It is probably the second or 3rd most famous Span behind Delicate Arch in Arches NP. It is the largest Bridge in the world and like 4th largest span. I haven't seen it, but have seen 3 of the top 10 largest spans. I have seen Sipapu Bridge and it is the 2nd largest bridge. I was suprised at how well I enjoyed it after being in Arches NP.

I think you are smart for cutting out Monument Valley, Arches and Canyonlands. They are spectacular, but you have to pick and choose and they are a bit out of the way. Save Moab for a trip all on its own. The parks offer too much, just to spend 3 or 4 hours like most people do.

Grand Canyon will probably be your single favorite sight, but the other parks probably offer more of a complete experience. They are each unique and special. Have a great trip!!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Page, which has large, comfortable rooms and a free hot breakfast included in the room rate. Ask for rooms with a lake view.

At Bryce, we stayed at the Bryce View Lodge, which is about a mile outside the park entrance. It's across the street from Ruby's Inn, so you can use their pool and other amenities.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Sedona.
I wouldn't bother "seeing the town".

For the time you have pick one activity that gets you into the red rocks and you will have experienced it.

I stayed at BW Inn of Sedona. Renovated and has the look and feel of a new place. Very central.

You can try the Boynton Canyon Vista hike (not the full Boynton Canyon). Very short, acenic and a Vortex sight so you'll get a bit of all in about an hour. It's in Sedona west.

Broken Arrow hike or Pink Jeep tour of it is very scenic for a longer hike than the Vista. A couple of hours.

Or an hour or two near Bell Rock is also scenic and easy.

Depending what time you get to Sedona on the first day. I'd try to drive over to Crescent Moon Picnic Area to see the sun setting on Cathedral Rock. It turns fire orange.

Grand Canyon
My big mistake was not hiking down for about one hour to get the proper perspective. In my opinion, GC looks like a big bowl from above and the least impressive sight I saw on that whole trip. My mistake.

Page
Horshoe Bend hike is very level. 3/4 mile on hot sand but easy. Spectacular views.

Antelope Canyon. However you do it, make sure it's when the sun is high in the sky.

Bryce
Navajo Loop down and either back up the other side of the loop or for a somewhat longer hike do Queens Garden back up. This will start at Sunset Point and end at Sunrise point.

Try to stop at Natural Bridge overlook for something very different.

Try to get to Bryce Point for sunrise.

Zion
While the Narrows is spectacular, you'll be hiking in water that could be up to your waist.

Your plan looks good. The exact reverse of what I did last year.

Photos at:

www.travelwalks.com

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Zion Lodging - Desert Pearl Inn, Link: http://www.desertpearl.com/

I also recommend the Narrows. It was our favorite and most fun hike in Zion, for one, because it is different.

Also recommend heli-tour of GC. It's spectacular!

Sedona has some nice sites like the Church of the Holy Cross built by Frank Lloyd Wright and Oak Creek Canyon.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cathy: Keep trying to get lodging in the parks. Check their websites or call - every day - Rooms open up. We stayed in the park at Bryce and thought it was great. These parks are all so beautiful, I can't pick a favorite.!!

MY
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yes. Call, call, call.

I called every day and sometimes twice a day.

Eventually I got all of my days in three parks.

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Linked are my pics of DPI one-bedroom suite which has a lovely view, two very nice and large bathrooms, sitting room w/fold-out couch, full kitchen, and patio, which would be nice for four people. It is close to the park entrance and has a shuttle stop.

Flickr Link: http://tinyurl.com/5yd7gz
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM

You didn't mention whether you had tried to get lodging in the GC park before reserving at the Best Western. I would really recommend trying to stay in the park if at all possible--as with the other parks, you can keep calling/trying to see if there have been cancellations.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM

If you are going to stay in Page, you might want to visit Rainbow Bridge. I think it's more spectacular than Antelope Canyon. It requires a half day or full day boat tour on beautiful Lake Powell. It's also currently about a mile hike from the boat dock to the Bridge each way.

http://www.lakepowell.com/activities/tours-overview.cfm

If you aren't going to go out on the lake, there is no reason to spend the night in Page. Stay in Kanab or Mt. Carmel Junction which will be closer to Bryce.