last minutebmobile camping in Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all I am thinking of arranging a relatively last minute safari in Tanzania in late August. I hope to spend 4/5 days riding at Makoa farm and then I have another 4 to 5 days to arrange. Of course the problem is availabilty and I started thinking that maybe a mobile safari might be the answer. Does anyone know if you can arrange mobile safaris which are relatively civilised ( larger tents not those diddy domed ones - with cot beds and real sheets) but not private ( we would like to share the experience with other travellers ) at this kind of last minute. Any ideas where would be the best place to head for and what sort of cost it would be per person per night - thanks Yvonne
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Truly mobile or semi-permanent? For semi-permanent, start looking at Eben's website go-safari.com for locations and camps. Nomad Tanzania and CCA both offer semi-perm (and possibly mobile? I can't remember). I believe Kibo Safari does high-quality mobiles. That's gonna cost you.

Good luck, Yvonne. I really envy you!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM

My wife and I did a mobile camping trip with Kibo Safaris and can't say enough good things about them, it was fantastic.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Same here...Kibo is fantastic! I've traveled with them twice, and were in their mobile tented camps in the Serengeti. I don't know where Makoa Farm is. What part of Tanzania were you considering? The Migration will have moved out of the Serengeti by August I would think. Kibo has a great permanent tented camp at Tarangire, the Tented River Camp. They also have the Farmhouse near the Ngorongoro Crater. You can reach Kibo at [email protected].
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all Makoa farm is in the foothills of Kili about 2 hours from Arusha. Any idea of how much Kibo cost per night? Yvonne
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM

I'm not sure, as we booked an entire safari and the costs weren't broken out. They should be able to give you a quote. I've corresponded with Josiah there and he's always helpful. Overseas Adventure Travel uses Kibo, BTW.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM

hi, havn't doner the mobile thing myself but I have read about CCAfrica doing something of the sorts in Tanzania check their website out www.ccafrica.com you should get info there. they pricey though but's got an excellent rep.