Northern Parks Tz (Sep safari)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I am trying to plan for a trip in September for my wife and her sister to the northern parks of Tz.

The plan is to go from Arusha to Tarangire, then to Ngorongoro and from there to Serengeti and finally back to Arusha. We are planning for a 7 days (+/- 1 day) safari.

I would like advise on the following:
1) Is it correct that we have to look into finding a place in the northern part of Serengeti because in Sep the migration might have left for Masai Mara but hopefully there would be plenty of game still left in the northern part of Serengeti? Is it even worth going to Serengeti in Sep - any suggestions to go elsewhere since Serengeti is expensive and so if there are only few animals that time of the year it might be better spending more days another place?

2) We would like to stay at smaller places (avoid the big hotels) like tented camps. Any suggestions for the parks we intend to visit? My wife and I are residents of Tz so I would like to hear if anyone know of any lodge/place which has resident price to help our budget?

3) I left out Lake Manyara as my wife and I have been there before and did not find it very interesting. But that means long transport going back to Arusha from Serengeti - any suggestions for interesting stop somewhere along the way?

4) I have never been to Tarangire so I would like to know how many days would be recommendable to spend in that park?

5)any safari company you can/can not recommend?

Kind regards,
Mike
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:09 AM

As residents of Tanzania, you should work direct with an outfitter in Arusha. They should be able to provide you with the applicable rates.

As to the Serengeti in September, there will be game available, but as the bulk of the wildebeests herds along with zebra and antelope will be in the Masai Mara, what you find in the very northern Serengeti are those that might not have made it, or those that hang back. No guarantee how many this will be and worth the time and expense to get up here. Besides, the few camps in this area do tend to be quite expensive, if there is even space available. Unless you can arrange for a camping safari.

Tarangire is lovely in September. Here too, you can consider a camping safari vs lodges or permanent tent camps.

Only an outfitter in Arusha will be able to advise what is available, means of transport and prices.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM

You might try Kibo Guides in Arusha. I have used them and can recommend them. They have a couple of permanent tented camps near Tarangire (Maramboi and the new Lake Burunge Camp), the Farmhouse near the Crater, and a mobile tented camp set up in the Serengeti (Simiyu), all owned by a sister company, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM

We have a safari to Kenya and northern Tanzania planned for this coming late September/early October. For the Tanzania portion we've been working with Green Footprint Adventures, and have been very happy with their service.

For a 10-day itinerary in early Oct., they advised us to go to Arusha National Park (2 nights, including our arrival night), Tarangire (2 nights), Lake Manyara (1 night) and the Ngorongoro Crater (2 nights), and then Zanzibar. We're not going to the Serengeti, since we'll be in the Masaai Mara earlier in our trip and our Green Footprint agent did not think it would be worth the time and expense. But if you aren't also going to be in Kenya, the advice might be different.

Mirjim at Green Footprint has been really terrific in helping us plan out an itinerary with a lot of varied activities in addition to game drives, and also staying at some smaller places and tented camps. The only big lodge we're staying in is at the Crater, and that was per our request because we wanted to be on the rim. Although I have to add the disclaimer that we haven't been on our trip yet, I would recommend Green Footprint, and I know others on this board have had good trips with them.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM

Mike

Tarangire is great in September. I really enjoyed our time there - more so than the Crater. We spent 2 days/2nights there (we went in Sept) and felt that was a good length of time -- I wouldn't do any less, but could do another day.

For the Serengeti, we went there as well and it was well worth it. If you can find some spots on the northern side, you may catch some of the migration. But there was plenty of sightings.

I actually was most disappointed with the Crater -- a lot of vehicles were just lined up to look at one sighting. It was hard to find a spot that wasn't crowded. But I would still go.

Hope that helps - I don't know about the camps.