Search

1st Tanzania trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 08:46 AM
abk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Tanzania trip

Hi - like others, I am trying to decide on the best itinerary for a first trip to Tanzania. Previous safari was in Addo and
Shamwari - think Tanzania will be a totally different experience.
Want to spend about 3nts in one place, a rest somewhere and 3 nts somewhere else.
Am flexible with dates - but looks like Sept/Oct might be a good time to go?
Good budget, want some comfort but really also want the best game experience. Looked at Selous, but no phone communication in some camps sounds a bit worrying!
Your best suggestions please - thanks
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Check to see where the migration will be when you are planning to go. We are going in January. After a few nights in Kenya at the Kichwa Tembo Bateleur Camp, we are going to Tanzania. I chose CC Africa for the comfort and great service at their lodges and also their great trip planning on all levels. I used them last year in South Africa. However, I did choose to change from Grumeti River Lodge in Western Serengeti, which they own, to Kusini in the Southern Serengeti, in order to see the migration. I will then stay at their camp in the Ngorongoro Crater which is the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge. If you have a chance to see the migration, which is the best game experience ever, why not plan your trip around it. There are several sights that show the monthly migritory movement of the animals. Good luck.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM

We have now changed to Olakira Camp in the Serengeti. It is a luxury tented camp that moves with the migration. Check out Asilia Lodges for all of their camps. CC Africa also has Tanzania Under Canvas which is luxury mobile to have the best animal experience, but also have a certain level of comfort as well. Let us know what you decide.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
santharamhari

abk,

No phone communications is the way safaris should be......IMO!!!

Aren't you doing this to get away from it all?

Hari

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:13 AM
sandi

They may not have a telephone, but all properties have communications to the outside world... two-way radio and, nowadays, cellphones.

The last thing I think about while on safari is a "phone" - it's about getting away from everyone having a "life support system" attached to their heads!

Where and for how long, depends on when you are visiting, what/where you hope to see/visit... and "rest" - what does this mean and for how long? You can rest even if "somewhere" as you're not obliged to participate in any activities.

Sept/Oct is really best in Kenya's Masai Mara. But if intent on Tanzania, I'd suggest the northern Serengeti.