Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maritime Hotel New York City - Chelsea - great stay!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from my 3rd trip to NYC staying at the Maritime and I believe anyone looking for a change of pace in NYC hotels will enjoy the Maritime. This modern "boutique" hotel has as the name suggests a nautical approach to it's decor. The lobby is a large comfortable "living room" with comfy chairs, tons of books and even a fireplace. The rooms, though NY small are fitted like the cabin of a ship, lovely woods and dark blue color scheme. Even a 6 foot wide porthole style window. All in all a good value at about $265/night in Chelsea. ( and return guests are given a bottle of wine)

Side note: we saw a preview performance of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" and while it has been "Americanized" from the London production it remains a great "must see" Broadway show .... we'll see more at the next Tony's!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Good to know about the Maritime. And a friend saw a Priscilla preview and agreed it was great - I know the movie was hoot!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the tip. Glad you had a good trip.
I did a search for the hotel and think it looks adorable
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I'll second that positive experience from the Maritime Hotel.

The nautical approach has a simple explanation: It was designed in 1966 as the headquarters for the National Maritime Union. It has been operating as a hotel since June 2003 and all 120 rooms and four suites come with a Jersey-view through the circular windows.
Odd feature: There are no twins in this hotel. Just queen beds.

Still, it's a very good place to stay. Read more about it here: http://www.guidebook.se/?p=76

:: h ::
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Cool decor in that hotel...

I'll plus my new find in NYC hotels while I am here-

I am staying this weekend at the Wyndham Garden Inn on 36th btwn 8th and 9th, about 2 blocks from Penn Station. I got a deal on travelzoo.com for $139 a night w/breakfast included and free wireless. It's a nice hotel, must be fairly new, everything looks great. I am very pleased. Very clean, rooms NYC small but very well-designed and the marble bathroom is relatively big for the room. One thing I really like is that the wall mounted thermostat really gets you either AC or heat. I can go back and forth btwn. the 2 if I want (which springtime weather can require sometimes) and there is immediate response w/temp change.

I am a Wyndham rewards member (but not a frequent stayer by any means) and they brought me a split of Chilean chardonnay and a big fruit and cheese plate a few hrs after I checked in due to that! Two restaurants (w/service for all 3 meals) and a 10th floor bar. And unlike some of the other hotels this size that are "steo-down" hotels in their chains in NYC (like Holiday Inn Express, or Four Points for Starwood, or hampton inns), they have a real bellman. This was an excellent deal, one of my best every for NYC at this time of yr.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM

that should read "step-down" hotels