Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would you go if you could go anywhere in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have received some invaluable advice from this forum in the past (mostly reading other posts) so I would love to get some opinions. Thank you very much!

Story: I am a 33 year old woman who just decided to do something radical. I have decided to quit my job, and I'm considering moving to Europe (I'll probably visit the area of consideration first). Short term/long term.. I'll play it by ear. I've been to London, Stockholm, Ireland, Paris and Rome.

I am looking for a place, probably a city, where I can take language classes, meet people, and find some kind of moderate income to support myself (teach english, tours, the sky's the limit). I speak a little Spanish and German, and enough of Italian and French to embarrass myself. I would consider large cities, smaller ones, or country areas, providing that they have enough entertainment and socializing for a single gal my age (I love theater, museums, vineyards, walking/hiking, etc.)

One passion I have is animals, and I'm also considering opening a sort of "doggie day care/boarding" place in the US. I will do some research to see if this might be a useful thing in Europe as well; please let me know if you have any thoughts.

I have loved all of my european travel, though did find Rome a bit large and crowded to my liking. I love the idea of going somewhere it Italy, Spain, France, Germany, but would explore anything.

1. Any suggestions? Where have you been that you loved, and though.. "I'd love to move here someday..."
2. Any suggestions/travel/moving advice would be wonderful.. and I'd love to hear from anyone who's done something like this.
Please let me know if you need any additional informations.

I may lose the nerve! But this is something I've always dreamed about doing and figured I'd explore some options with your invaluable advice!!! Thank you.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM

I would go to Vienna and see/hear operas and other musical events.

Then I would go to the Swiss Alps for as long as I could afford to stay there.

There are several places: Pontresina and the Engadine, Berner Oberland, Zermatt, and some of the more remote valleys along both sides of the Rhone River.

Then I would go to London for a few days. Lots to see there.

Paris has a lot, too.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Post an ad in France Today and offer your services as a house-sitter. And write that ad well! My choice would be Honfleur, preferably the quartier St. Leonard, just outside the historic district. Honfleur is a town of 8,000 with over the top charm, a progressive mayor and throngs of visitors. Varied and fine cultural events and a significant proportion of the population urbane newcomers. But wherever, Go for it!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:38 AM
ira

Hi red,

Best of luck in your new life.

You might want to consider

Paris
Bordeaux
Toulouse
Lisbon
Copenhagen
Roskilde (outside Copenhagen)
Florence

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Not to be dsocuraging - but you do relaie that there are ll sorts of ruls and rega about moving to europe. Typically - you are allowed to stay only a very limited amount of time - 3 months or 6 months - without having to apply for permanent residency (very difficult to get unless you are an eu citizen). Also, unless a company sponsors you it is vrey difficult to get any sort of a job legally - and the illegal ones (bartender, wiat staff) are very poorly paid).

This is like someone from europe saying - I think I'll just move to the US and live/work. They can;t - it's illegal. Naturally there are ploys to get around it - but without official sponsorhsip from an employer - they all involve one or another degree of illegality. (This is why you find so many young Irish and Scots girls working as live in nannies in NYC - although its illegal and the pay is very low the fact that they live with the family makes it possible - so they aren;t caught and deported.)
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would start with research on what countries have the most lenient rules to allow you to live there. Some countries are much easier than others. You do realize, you can't just up and move to Europe, right? Actually maybe you can if you have enough money that you don't need to seek work.

Most straight-forward way in is a sponsorship from a company. If someone wants to hire you, they can provide the necessary papers. I get the feeling you don't want a corporate position though.

There are legal time limits for being in the country on tourist paperwork, and rules about employment, unless you are willing to work illegally.

On a more positive note & to answer your original question(!) I would move to Switzerland, outside Geneva along the lake. I have dear friends there. The ones who moved from the US/Canada both married Swiss men and now have dual citizenships.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe you could start with a 3-6 month stay and have enough money saved you didn't have to work? But could take language classes and get to know an area. That would get you around the big hurdles in attempting a permanent move and needing paid employment.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I would go to Málaga (Spain). Good weather, beautiful beaches, lot of pubs and restaurants, also museums (is Picasso birthplace), and it's a very cheap city.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM

I'll bet you could get a student visa if you took language courses, and you wouldn't necessarily have to take them constantly. Student visas sometimes enable you to work for a brief period in your field of study. For example, if you took Spanish for Business, you might be able to do a short placement in a business afterwards. Also, you might be able to spend 3-6 months in one place (depending on the limit for non-visa stays for the particular country) and then move on to another country. You definitely need to research the legal issues, but you can probably work something out for a year or so. Any chance you have a parent born in an EU country?

As for locations, I'd choose Barcelona and Berlin.