4 Short Days in Bangkok

Search

4 Short Days in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Short Days in Bangkok

Starting to fine tune our SEA trip starting with Bangkok.

We arrive in Bangkok at 12:30am. We are staying at the Chatrium Riverside. I have notified the hotel that we have a late arrival and have directions in Thai to the hotel. Considering the late arrival and our likely exhaustion from a long haul trip from Seattle, what is the best way to get to the hotel?

We would also like some advice on how to manage our 4 days (one of which we will be pretty jetlagged!).

It seems as if we should pick out 4-5 sights that will give us a sample of Bangkok with plenty of time to recover from the plane flight and adjust to the heat. We are not shoppers but would like to experience one of the malls for a short period (knowing my husband, a very short period will be stretching mall time). Asiatique is close to the Chatrium, is that a good choice?

We had planned on taking BTS and taxii but are toying with the idea of a driver. Any idea of cost for driver for 4 days?

Appreciate any help figuring this out. Thank you.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM

Best way to get to the Chatrium from the airport will be either by taxi or an airport/hotel limo. You should be at the hotel by 1:30 - 2:00 AM and if you can sleep after arriving then that should help with the jet lagged.

Asiatique mall is a nighttime mall and an open air mall, very nice in the cooler months! If you have time I would like to suggest you visiting the Paragon Mall which is right next to MBK mall and Central World. From the Paragon you can walked via covered elevated walkways to the other two malls plus you can cross the road and visit SIam Square which is an open air mall.

In Bangkok itself, metered taxi are plentiful and inexpensive. I would suggest you use a driver only for visiting outside of Bangkok or areas that are hard to find a taxi.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Hanuman has given you good advice. While getting a taxi from the airport is easy, if you feel nervous about it, you might use AAC Limo. This is the car service I use from the airport - nice BMW or Mercedes sedans, enough space for your luggage (which can be a problem in the little Corollas if you travel heavy like we often do).

IMO, the BTS and taxis make more sense in the city than hiring a driver. There are regulars here who like hiring a driver in the city, but that's too much time in traffic for me.

Since you are staying on the river, you have the option of using the water taxis to the major wats. See how you are doing the first day. We always get in that late, but are up very early - that's the jetlag. So If you also find yourselves awake early, you might have a good breakfast, then head to the major wats. You want to time it so you arrive at 8:30 at the gate to the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha. You will take the Chatrium shuttle to the central pier and get on one of the public water taxis - all of them stop at the pier for the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha. Do you have the Nancy Chandler map? It shows the stops clearly. If you want a guide, there are official English-speaking guides here, very inexpensive. After that, walk the block or so to Wat Po. Then head to the river and take the little foot ferry across the river to Wat Arun. By noon, you will have seen three of the major wats and can return to your hotel for some air-conditioning and rest.

We really feel the jet lag in the late afternoon/evening. We would spend the afternoon getting a massage, perhaps going for a swim, and after a light dinner, get a long night's sleep and be ready to go in the morning.

If you aren't sure about using a driver, don't hire one for 4 full days. You might try a day with a driver and a day without. It is easy to hire drivers once you are there.

I consider the Jim Thompson House a must-see. You will probably want one day to wander the malls downtown, visit the Erawan Shrine, etc, and you certainly wouldn't want to be saddled with a car and driver for that day. Remember that if you are out somewhere and struck by jetlag, you can always get a taxi. Carry your hotel card with you.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Warm greetings cindyjo and congratulations on future stay in one of my all-time cherished business travel (and joyous holiday) locales, beloved Bangkok.

Cannot help you (thankfully) with recent late-night, long-haul, jet-lagged, BKK arrival experiences (at present, I normally fly into BKK for meetings from our home port of Singapore, or from Hong Kong or Japan after a few days of work), but will suggest the possibility of a warm shower, followed by an in-room massage. (Have never stayed at your chosen BKK property, so wouldn't know her offers/hours.) My current - and exceptionally convenient and cherished - Bangkok business travel hotel is the Four Seasons, and I occasionally partake of her evening arrival in-room massage services and masseuses. Sweet dreams.

Regarding shopping, will give a heartfelt promotion to the somewhat limited, and yet gratefully refined and sentimental options at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. I generally abhor shopping (rather ironic, given my current and primary posting in shopping-crazed Singapore), but time permitting, will always make time for that Jim Thompson shop - and a long-time JT acquaintance - within the MO. My profile page hotel review of the Mandarin Oriental only partially conveys the joy of staying once again at that fine property; been a few years. A couple of good friends, management and staff at that timeless place. (And do savour the MO's library and lounge; private functions, permitting.)

Concerning drivers for a day or two, no recent, personal suggestions. Should the opportunity and desire ever arise, my first choice will be an exceptionally cordial driver for the Four Seasons. (My various corporate bookings with the FS often include the hotel's airport transfer service; quality product and great, knowledgeable drivers.)

Whatever you choose, have fun in Bangkok; very happy for you. (And, I do have some most recent updates re the BKK Four Seasons, and Peninsula, but that's for another post/review.) Should you ever desire last minute 'reccos' for our sweet city-state of Singapore (and Singapore Airlines) honoured to assist. Much more later; for now, a good week of work and travel to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Hi great choice of Hotel certainly my preference when visiting Bangkok. The suites are very good size fabulous views over the river from the balcony and very comfortable beds. There is 7-11 very near good place to buy drinks etc for the room much cheaper than the room fridge.
Asiatique is a short taxi ride from the Chatrium mostly open air and plenty of restaurants.
For something a little different on shopping take a look at Terminal21 they have a website. Has more smaller shops and is good quality Taxis are inexpensive but sometimes when you flag one down they may not want to take you if they feel traffic is busy. Just persevere one will take you. Do plan some river action if you can- maybe an evening dinner cruise- ( Loy Nava is very good )Long Tail around the canals ( works well with jet lag )- perhaps Talin Floating Market in Bangkok for lunch.
If you need a good and reliable private tour guide I can recommend Wandee e mail [email protected] she has taken very good care of us on a couple of trips.

Have a great trip me and my lady are planning again so looking forward to getting back Bangkok really buzzes
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 06:55 PM

a taxi will be fine for 2 of you but tight for more people.. i like AAC too for a first time in bkk..

make sure you say chatrium RIVERSIDE. forget the skytrain for airport runs.

my sights:

grand palace
wat arun
jim thompson house
wat pho
V-mek palace---largest teak building
klong tour (canal) of thornburi

platinum fashion mall for ladies
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What is the price of a taxi versus using car service going from airport to Chatrium Riverside. Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We hired a driver and a guide and it cost about US$90.-$100. for the whole day, really inexpensive compared to other locales around the world.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM

From the airport: Taxi, maybe 350 baht. Car service like AAC limo, 1100 baht. Tolls are always in addition to the fare.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks!