Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Upper West Side - Beacon Hotel or apt near 96th/Riverside?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in NYC for about four days in mid-August. I've stayed at the Beacon before and it was fine. There's a private apt (Air BnB) that looks very inviting (for about $75 less per night) near 96th and Riverside. (http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/263888)

Any pros and cons to either location? I'm just a little concerned about walking a lot in the heat of August, so the Beacon's location might be more convenient. But the apt looks to be in a lovely area and I like the idea of trying a different neighborhood.

This is a romantic trip for husband and wife in our fifties. We're planning to see some Broadway shows and dine well.

Appreciate any help - thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM

OK I LOVE airbnb but i Do NOT use it in NY as all these kinds of arrangements are illegal there. (Just so you know my objection is not like the other paranoid musings about Airbnb out there)

and I am also in my mid 50's.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM

I think you should do some googling research into the short-term apartment rental idea. Most are illegal and many are scams.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM

What others say about the legal implications. I used to live near where that apartment is. It's been a while, but it's sort of "over there".
And heat in NYC in summmer is just close to intolerable. Stay where you don't have to take the subway much.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:06 AM

Okay well legalities aside (and I both really like AirBnB, know people who both host and guest with it in NYC, and agree that the city law says most short-term rentals are illegal), you might be happier with the location of the Beacon.

Some reasons:
- Riverside Drive is pretty but IMO remote: a two-block walk uphill to the 1/2/3 train, and a number more to get to Central Park.
- 96th Street is a very busy street, especially right at Riverside Drive where there's traffic exiting and getting onto the West Side Highway. (I always have a tough time in my car turning right off West End Ave onto 96th Street.)
- There's a deli on the corner of West End Ave and an overpriced gas station adjacent, but otherwise you have to go uphill to Broadway for any kind of food or other services.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM

The apartment listed is most likely not legal to rent for less than 30 days at a time. Dozens of post on this forum about that.

Also note the liberties the owner takes with certain information.
"It is located 2 short blocks (3-minute walk) from the 96th st. express subway station "
It's actually 2 LONG blocks and up as steep a hill as we get in Manhattan. Not the worst exageration, but why embellish?

"It is walking distance to the Natural History Museum and the UWS Kidseum" AMNH is a bit more than a mile away--yeah, walkable for some, but not what a visitor to the city would consider right nearby. Also there is no "UWS Kidseum" so assuming she means the Children's Museum of Manhattan , that's also close to 20 blocks away.

The Beacon is part of the same general Upper Wst Side neighborhood so it would not like being in a totally different atmosphere, and the Beacon is more convenient, and legal. Have we mentioned illegal apartment rental situations enough here?
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM

Choose the Beacon for a better location and fewer potential hassles. That's an easy choice.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM

Fist of all 96th and Riverside is near a major exit/entrance to the WEst Side Highway and has a LOT of traffic - at all hours - so not a place I would pick. Also - it's up a very steep hill to the subway - and while you can walk to the places they mention I wouldn;t want to do so in August.

Second - it's very likely this is illegal and certainly possible it's a scam. Have they given you a specific address and apartment number as well as a 24 hour landline? If you're really interested get the speicific address and check out google earth for the building, the block and the intersection.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

LOL - And your point is....

Okay, I had a hunch that the apartment wasn't the best way to go, but really REALLY appreciate the detail about why I should choose the Beacon. I had no idea that walking up a hill was involved (I'm not a wuss, but can get a bit whiny in heat and humidity), and I just imagine trudging around trying to find a market or quick place to eat.

This was my first post to Fodor's and I'm very impressed with the timeliness and thoughtfulness of the responses. I will certainly reciprocate when I see questions related to my area(s) of expertise.

Many, many thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Another hotel option near that subway station is the Hotel Newton. It's not fancy but check the rates. Good location and no hills to climb. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about the Newton. I noted that some of their rooms have a microwave and fridge (important for pizza leftovers). But if I'm not going to stay near Riverside Park, I think the location of the Beacon would be better. I know that the Fairway Market is across the street and several good restaurants are nearby.

On the agenda so far - a couple of Broadway shows, Carnegie Deli, Sullivan Bakery, Per Se (fingers crossed re reservation), the World Trade Center site. I did look at a couple of hotels closer to the theater district but I had the impression that the area is more - what's the word - maybe "intense" - than I would like. But I'm certainly open to suggestions for a hotel similar to the Beacon but closer to the places that I've mentioned.

Again, thank you all so much for your time and willingness to help!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM

But it's a very easy walk to Riverside Park from the Newton. Walk down Broadway for a couple of blocks and then head toward the river on 91st. You'll find yourself at the flower garden that was at the end of the movie You've Got Mail. - http://www.nycgovparks.org/park-feat...tour/91-garden

The block between Broadway and West End is a bit of an incline, but not bad. From there it's an easy stroll to and along Riverside Park. I promise. I walk it every morning I'm in NYC. It's a lovely stroll to the park and along the park. You'll be crossing paths with the locals who are out for their morning walks. You'll see dog walkers (professional and personal), exercisers, nannies with kids headed to the playground. It's a lovely peaceful way to start the day. For some reason, I head to Central Park in the afternoons.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM

Oh, be sure to walk along 94th and/or 95th and discover the incredibly quaint Pomander Walk - http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.81203...d-of-1.2831138
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM

Culley, welcome to Fodors! Trial by fire a bit on your post, but I'm glad you found our info to be of help. Paying it forward is always good, too.

To/from the theater district - and Per Se! - will be easy enough from your lodgings, even more so if you stay at the Beacon (roughly 20 blocks/1 mile from 96th Street). Hop the train a few stops or stroll up Broadway if you have the energy. (That walk has always been a pretty safe bet, even in the "bad old days". Now, Times Square is so crowded that there will always be people milling around, and on a balmy summery night, plenty of others wandering up or down the west side as well.)

Note that while it's nothing compared to Times Square, the "square" where the avenues cross in front of Lincoln Center gets pretty busy, too. It will be quieter but certainly not dead up at 96th Street.

Oh, and regarding the subway: you can always take the B or C local train along Central Park West, then walk a few blocks once you're off the train. The 1/2/3 up Broadway is the most straightforward, but know that it gets really crowded at rush hours (downtown in the a.m. and uptown in the p.m.).
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM

We stay with friends in the w. 60s and w. 70s when we're in NY and we always walk to and from the theater (and everywhere else!)
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:19 AM

I would also add:
The Lucerne Hotel
201 W 79th St
New York, NY 10024
United States of America
Phone: 1 (212) 875-1000

We stayed there in December and the location was great - only 1 block to the subway and close to lots of good restaurants.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

UPDATE - We stayed at the Beacon and it was ideal. They're undergoing some renovation - one of the elevators wasn't working, and their downstairs restroom wasn't available - but those were minor issues.

I had great peace of mind knowing that we weren't going to encounter any problems that might have arisen from the apartment rental. There was a feature in the NY Times while we were there about the negatives associated with illegal apartment rentals, and they specifically targeted Air B & B.

Thanks again to all. Can't wait to go back to NYC!
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed The Beacon! What did you do, see, eat while in New York?