So this Direct Loft in NYC..?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was considering all your suggestions for a place to stay, they are on the lower priced side, I was just looking around more, you never know, I hate finding a better deal, you know?
so anyways, to the point, I'm searching on Venere.com and I see this place called "Direct Loft" so I copy the name and google it, it's a website that provides places to stay, I have firefox and WOT (web of trust) installed and it says the website is rated as "Good"
but I would like to know if anyone on here has ever used that?
Please don't insinuate I have already booked a place on the website, I haven't
I reserved (not paid) a room at the Cosmopolitan Hotel, because it was the cheapest, but the estimate this Direct loft site gave me for a place on 46th street is at least 500 bucks cheaper, and lemme tell you that is quite appealing to a college student trying to save some big bucks...lol
if anyone has any experience with Direct Loft, can you tell me how it works and if it's all good and etc.?

Thanks.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Well, if you are coming to NYC after May 2011, this rental is illegal. It's likely illegal anyway (or at least prohibited by building rules), so you'll have no legal recourse if something goes wrong. But if things go right and it's not a scam, then you save 500 bucks.

I'm not trying to be a moralist here. I don't care where you stay. But I just think it's unwise to book an illegal rental apartment in NYC regardless of the cost. If you can't afford to stay in Manhattan, then there are several good hotel options near subway stops in Queens and Brooklyn.

I have no experience with Direct Loft, so I can't tell you anything about the company.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

oh I forgot to put I will be in NYC roughly around Dec. 28, 2010-Jan 3, 2011
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM

I personally know nothing about this property - but I can tell you a couple of things:

This is NOT used to house corporate clients - since it is a brownstone building (possibly a 5th floor walk-up). (The photo shows a tiny bedroom with 2 twin beds and a small folding table and chairs - the $25 kind you use in backyards or balconies.)

Second, it is NOT located where they say. They give the address at 9 west 46th St - which would be right off Fifth Ave - and they show/describe it as being between 8th and 9th Aves. So either the address is wrong, the map is wrong - or the whole thing is a scam. (IF you go to 9 West 46th you will NOT find the building pictured).

If they take credit cards - so you are protected financially - you MAY want to consider the risk.

Or you could contact them and ask a lot of questions - like the actual address, references from former guests etc.

But there is no way I would send them any money in advance. (They require 2 night deposit in advance - and I doubt they will take CCs.)
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Lots of scammers out there on these apartment rentals for NYC, found this on Lonely Planet Thorntree dated Sep. 5, now this Direct Loft may be legit but can you afford to be out $500 if they are not?

http://www.newyorkpost.com/p/news/lo...BYXfsf18AsVGZK