Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Seeking Advice: Best Itinerary Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, Me and my husband are planning to go to the US for the first time at the give up of december/ starting of January. We have some pals in LA, which may assist with the accommodation, however additionally prefer to see New York, which is why we do not surely understand the place to go. Another must-see on my listing would be the Grand Canyon, however I recognize I cannot healthy the whole lot in a single trip So, my questions would be: -what is the fine route for a roadtrip, in the given time and context? Can anyone give me advice?
Old Dec 4th, 2023, 12:45 AM

I'd suggest. Fly from LA to New York, spend a few days exploring the Big Apple. Then, fly or drive to the Grand Canyon and soak in its awesomeness. Since time's limited, you might wanna skip the road trip and catch flights between these spots. It'll save you some precious time, Safe travels! ✈️
Old Dec 4th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Where are you coming from and how experienced are you with driving in deep winter conditions? There will be ice and snow in many locations save the southernmost tier of the US; the Grand Canyon is at very high elevation and is also likely to be snowy and icy at that time. In addition, daylight hours will be very short.

Honestly, it's not the best time for a road trip in the US, except for the desert Southwest and the southeastern US, like Florida.
Old Dec 4th, 2023, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice I reconsider your suggestion I would like to know what is the best time for the road trip to US?
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 08:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetyAndrews
Thanks for your advice I reconsider your suggestion I would like to know what is the best time for the road trip to US?

Welcome to Fodors. Your questions is really hard to answer since the USA is enormous with many different climates. Where are you coming from? Many single states are larger than many European countries.

If you wanted to see places like southern California, the Grand Canyon, and National Parks in the southwest then late Spring would be good. Summer is fine in southern California but in the desert national parks it would be EXTREMELY hot (like 46°C). Autumn can be great in that region - but by late Fall then snow can be an issue in many national parks due to the altitudes..

For the Northeast/New England/New York Spring and Fall can be great - winter can have blizzards.

For the Pacific Northwest - summer/early Autumn are terrific.

In the south/southeast areas (Florida/Texas/the Carolinas/etc) - summer can be VERY hot and VERY humid. Autumn can have hurricanes.

. . . and other regions will have different good and bad seasons.

so . . . once you decide which part(s) of the country you want to visit - then we can advise about the best times to visit.