Greek Island itinerary - Seeking comments and recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a summer vacation in the Greek Islands, and have the following itinerary in mind:

Day 1 - arrive in Athens airport at 10:20 am from Toronto, and leave by plane for Mykonos at 12:55pm. Arrive in Mykonos at 1:35 pm and stay, for the next 3 days, at Mykonos Grand Hotel.

Day 5 - depart by fast ferry at 2:45 pm for Santorini, and arrive at 4:25pm. Stay for the next 3 days at Anastasis Apartments.

Day 8 - depart by fast ferry at 5:40pm for Crete, and arrive at Heraklion at 7:10 pm.
Stay over-night at some hotel - PLEASE PROVIDE SUGGESTIONS- and spend the next day touring the Museum and Knossos, before leaving, by bus, in the late afternoon to go to Chania (Ammos Inn).

Days 9-14- Chania

Day 15 - leave Chania by plane at 6:55am and arrive at Athens airport at 7:45, where we will stay until our plane leaves for Florence at 12:45

As we have already been to Athens 2 years ago we have no desire to return there, even for a few hours (just to anticipate any suggestions in this regard).

As always, I would appreciate any advice/recommendations as to island and hotel selections, as well in regards to allocation of time.

Many thanks.

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:10 AM

I know there are tours but there is not much in the way of public transport on Crete. I had a car when there (take along a driving licence). Heraklion is a busy city and Knossus is right at the back of town. Most unlike the rest of Crete, which has fairly empty but small roads. Pop into Rethymnon (about halfway between Heraklion and Chania). A nice little town full of harbour restaurants with tables outside to watch the view or do people watching. Crete accommodation, some of which are in Heraklion:

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budge...en-ci-331.html

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks Kaneda - are you meaning that we would have difficulty either getting a bus to get to the museum and/or Knossos, or, for that matter, to Chania?
Or are you just talking about, generally, getting from one part of the island to another?

We will probably not want to venture too far from Chania once we get there on our 2nd evening (we love pools, beaches and walking the streets of quaint towns, as opposed to seeing ruins and archaeological sites, having already done quite a lot of this during our 2 previous trips to Italy and Athens).

In this case, will the lack of a car be that much of a problem?

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM

No problem without a car to get to Knossos. Yes, Chania is lovely but I would feel hamstinged without a car. If you truly just want to go to the pool and wander around, you will not need a car. When we went to Crete, we had no intention of renting a car. After arriving we spent extra$$ (would have been cheaper to pre book) because we heard of so many lovely things to see that were not in the towns. Admittedly I am not a beach person (too many freckles and I peel) and tend to be a ruins (not ruined) person...
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

Not to worry, Crete has an excellent bus system: http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetables2.html

A car offers much more flexibility, but if you just want to get from Heraklion to Chania the bus system will suffice.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Brother.

Do you have any comments on the time spent at each location or my choice of hotels?

Thanks again for any assistance.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM

I can't really comment with any authority, but I've always thought that, from the looks of their website, the Anastasis Apartments look quite inviting. You might want to go to www.tripadvisor.com to look at the reviews.

My experience with Chania is too old to be of any value.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Does anybody else have any thoughts either on the island or the hotel selections?

Thanks.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:54 AM

The time in each place sounds fine. The only change I would make, would be to go straight to Chania when you get to Crete and spend an extra night there rather than change hotels after just 1 night. I would then take a bus tour to Knossos and Heraklion anothe3r day for sightseeing. Just my preference and my dislike of moving from one hotel to another. If you decided to do that, there are plenty of travel agencies selling daytrips to Knossos etc. if you don't want to drvie or rely on the buses.
Carolena
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Hate to disagree w. Caroline, but her idea would involve traveling late at night on day 8 to get to Chania, and then would involve DOUBLING BACK to see Knossos.

My recommendation in Heraklion: Hotel Kronos, right on the Water. Incidentally, the Herak. Museum will be closed next summer--its "most important pieces" willl supposedly be exhibited at a place to be announced -- GNTO is best bet for info, since Ministry of Culture website/e-mail seems bollixed up.

Don't worry about enjoying city of Chania without a car, unless this Ammos Inn place is way out of town.

I gather you're taking the Aegean flight out of Chania.

By "summer" I hope you don't mean the month of August...otherwise, your trip sounds fine!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Travelerjan - yes , I do fly out of Chania, and that is why I agree that there is little sense in doubling back to site-see in Heraklion instead of just staying there over-night.

Thanks for confirming the itinerary.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

a week-end top-up, but also wondering if I should also consider replacing Naxos for Crete...